Buffy the Serious Slayer?

• This topic has 4 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 21 years ago by FX.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    SadGeezer
    Keymaster

I just saw the episode with Nathan Fillion first appearing. I saw it Saturday, April 19… and if it wasn’t so close to the series finale, I don’t think I would be watching Buffy anymore. It seems like Buffy is taking itself FAR too seriously of late. When/if you see it, I would like to know your opinions. Thanks.

Anonymous

Hmm maybe I should start watching then =)

You wont see me post about Buffy/Angel a lot, cause other than the “Glory” arc (which btw ranks up there with my favorites of all-time TV) & Season 1 of Angel, I dont like the shows. The death of Buffys mom, Giles killing an innocent(kinda), the whole duality issue, Dawn, such a great season, with so many deep plots. My problem was/is that I only started watching it at all, a few years ago during that particular season. Then I said “whoa!” what a great show, only to find it was the total opposite in earlier seasons, which really turned me off =(

Granted that “Glory” season(sorry dont know the year 01?) were peppered with plenty of humor, but I just dont see why they couldent *always* be that way =)

Sorry bit off topic.

isola
    Participant

i haven’t seen buffy in a really long time now.. and you know what? i found out that.. i don’t even care!

i loved the show season 1 (maybe love is a bit strong though). it was really good. i even bought it on dvd.

but now.. i can’t even watch it. it stinks! no offence all of you who both watch and enjoy it.. but the show has really gone BAD.. (big letters to show the extremeness (i don’t even know if that’s a word.. ๐Ÿ˜‰ ))

i tried to watch an entire show.. about.. well, a few months ago.. i didn’t even make it ten minutes.. sadly..

Headgehog
    Participant
    ”Praxilla” wrote:

I just saw the episode with Nathan Fillion first appearing.

It seems like Buffy is taking itself FAR too seriously of late.

Its certainly hasn’t been the lighthearted show it once was. IMO though, a show can’t stay in ‘season 1’ mode if it wants to become great. A series needs to evolve and grow, in Buffy’s case, become more mature, and realistic (dark).

Nathan Fillion’s character is just evil. There is no way around around it. From just this one episode it appears that he’s one of the nastiest, most sadistic creatures t.v. has seen in a while. For a show that’s spent most of its time portraying the big bads as sadistic bullies at best and incompetent doofs at worst, having an enemy which is ultra (and true) evil ends the show on a more serious and mature note. How ridiculous would the finale be if the uber-enemy were some little girl in pigtails, with an oversized lollypop, who makes people explode just by looking at them?

I will agree with you though. The show is at times getting a bit too dark to enjoy. Much like S3 of LEXX or a couple episodes of Taken. However when re-watching the show later, I’ll, and I hope you’ll, appreciate how good it really is.[/i]

FX
    Participant

i miss the nonstop repartee and popcultural references of the first four seasons; to me, season five was already starting to get serious, with glory providing good comic relief…six was really dark, and seven is really turning itself inside out, although i liked fillion’s role…angel has gotten way too serious as well; i found myself squirming uncomfortably during shiny happy people…but i think that’s what we’re meant to do….taken as a logical whole though, buffy still gets great kudos not only for being unique, but for evolving more or less realistically, and i will miss it ๐Ÿ™

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.