Can anyone identify this show?

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums General Sci Fi General Sci Fi Stuff Can anyone identify this show?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    SadGeezer
    Keymaster

Hi,
    I’ve been searching on the net for a series I used to watch as a child in
    the 70’s, and I came across your page. I don’t know if you can help, but
    here’s a brief description of it.

It was set in a sort of post nuclear world, where there weren’t many people
    around. There was a little group (I think it was American) who used to
    travel the land on missions each week (sorta like the A-Team!!) and it
    always seemed to be set in a desert/mountain region, maybe it was filmed in
    Arizona or something. The thing that sticks in my mind from the show is
    that the group had some connection with a giant brain in a glass jar that
    could see what they were doing. I can’t remember wether the brain was on
    their side, or the ultimate goal of their mission. I just remember the
    brain in the jar.

If you have any ideas what it was called, I’d be most grateful.

Cheers,
    Mike.

Anonymous

Sounds like a ****ty show…..

pet
    Participant

The Brain in a Jar doesn’t ring a bell…. I think I would remember that.

Survivors is a British show about a post-plague world (kind of like “The Stand”, I’m told). And Starlost was some Canadian thing that got botched pretty badly. I haven’t seen either of them, but I remember them being mentioned in other places.

Just in case, here is a Survivors Site[/url]. I think it’s available on video.

And here is a listing of science fiction shows from the 70’s,

I don’t know if it’ll help you, but that’s where I’ve been going to look for shows to add to my collection.

Pet;D

bonnee
    Participant

I’m also at a loss, but perhaps the following link we’ll help you recognise the title, et al

Episode Guide[/url]

You might need a week or two to work your through A-Z though

[ 16-10-2002: Message edited by: bonnee ]

Anonymous

Pet, I looked on the series guide you mentioned but it wasn’t there.

Bonnee, I’ve bookmarked the site you said and when I’ve got a spare month or so I’ll look through it ๐Ÿ˜‰

It wasn’t Survivor, but another memory of it has a young boy as one of the group I think.

Anonymous

hi!!
    i’ve just bought the ‘TV Times Encyclopedia of TV science fiction’. spent the afternoon flicking through it, looking at the shows that it lists from 1951 to 1980 (in case the show you mentioned was a repeat), that are unfamiliar to me. The closest show to that which you describe is ‘Logan’s Run’, which was set 200yrs after a nuclear holocaust (yes, it is a series of the film-never knew they made one. you learn something new every day!) it premiered in the US on 16.9.1977, and aired in the UK from 7.1.1978-2.4.1978. can’t find a mention of a brain in a jar, though but some of the other facts seem to fit. it was the only show i could see that described a post-nuclear holocaust. most of the other shows at that time that dealt with the remnants of civilisation seem to pin the disaster on some kind of plague or disease.
    apparently, ‘Man from Atlantis’ was pulled from the schedules early so that this show could be shown instead. funny, i don’t remember it. i was into MFA for some reason… always wondered what happened to that show….

[ 16-10-2002: Message edited by: snooklepie ]

Anonymous

snookiepie, thanks for spending the time, it’s possible that it could be Logan’s Run, I’ve come across that one myself, but like you said, no mention of brain-in-jar. Guess I’d have to watch a couple of episodes to find out for real. My dad was no help (I thought parents were ‘sposed to know everything?) he couldn’t even remember watching it, let alone what it was called.

And Dragula, wtf is a ****ty show?

Anonymous

i’ve been looking at the info for ‘Logan’s Run’ again. apparently one of the characters, Rem, was an android. anyway, in the final episode, entitled ‘Stargate’ the other main characters Logan & Jessica have to fight to save Rem, when they encounter strange people from a planet much hotter than earth who take Rem and start dismantling him to provide spare parts for their spaceship. perhaps this is where you get the idea for the brain in the jar from?

Anonymous

Snookiepie:
    Doesn’t sound right to me. I don’t remember robots being in it. The brain-in-jar thing was similar looking to the bit in Dr Who’s tardis, the thing in the middle that has a glass dome on top. It featured in the show every week, I’m not sure if it was the thing they were fighting against, or their controller.
    My missus was up till nearly 1am last night searching the net trying to find it for me. Must be love!!

Anonymous

I think I’ve found it! The Fantastic Journey from the 70’s starring Jared Martin and Roddy McDowell. Everything I’ve read about it ties in, and the brain-in-jar thing is an all-seeing thing called The Source, who is watching over the group because it wants one of their bodies for itself. Now all I gotta do is find it on video or dvd!!

Anonymous

Wow! I think I remember seeing something about that years ago! I can’t remember seeing the show, but you’re right, I remember something about a thing called The Source and something about Roddy MacDowell.

Hope that’s right. It’s been bugging the hell outa me

[ 18-10-2002: Message edited by: SadGeezer ]

Anonymous

just looked it up. apparently a scientific expedition sets off to the Bermuda Triangle to study a natural phenomenon known as the ‘red tide’. the yacht they are on board is enveloped by a green cloud, and a sudden violent storm capsizes the boat. the survivors are washed up on this island, where they meet some guy from the 23rd century whose spaceship has crashed there. in the following series they join up with a half human-half alien, Liana, and a scientist from the ’60s, Willoway. the whole show was about them all going through time trying to find a way home.
    there were 10 eps, and the show was on in the UK bet. 5.3.77-6.5.77, on BBC1.
    Roddy McDowall played a character called Dr. Jonathan Willoway, and Jared Martin played Varian, the guy from the 23rd Century.

p.s. i think Lt. Cmdr. Data would be upset to be described as a robot!!!

pet
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Cuemaster1971:
    I think I’ve found it! The Fantastic Journey from the 70’s starring Jared Martin and Roddy McDowell. Everything I’ve read about it ties in, and the brain-in-jar thing is an all-seeing thing called The Source, who is watching over the group because it wants one of their bodies for itself. Now all I gotta do is find it on video or dvd!!

OHHHH! Right! Now that’s sounding more familiar. But it’s not on video yet, is it?

You would think they would have rushed it out along with the Planet of the Apes Roddy MacDowell revival!

Pet;D

Anonymous

p.s. i think Lt. Cmdr. Data would be upset to be described as a robot!!!

I can just imagine that…

Anonymous
    Inactive

Since Logan’s Run has been mentioned in this thread, I just wish to plug a wonderful Logan’s Run Flash site again: http://www.logansrun.com/%5B/url%5D (make sure you have your speakers turned on). As well as articles, pics, a trailer of the movie and more, there is lots of interesting stuff on the TV Series. (And no need to register, just ENTER).

And as for Fantastic Journey, here’s a very good site: Fantastic Journey

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.