Can anyone tell me about explorer ships and the Earth Force1

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums Cult Sci Fi Series Babylon 5 & Crusade Can anyone tell me about explorer ships and the Earth Force1

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    SadGeezer
    Keymaster

Firstly, I have to say that I like the info section on the B5 ships,
    Secondly, there are a few things I would like explaining:

What was the Earth Force 1 Starship?

What do people know about the explorer class ships? All that I know about them is that they are lightly armed (or possibly not at all) and they were designed for long range travel (i.e. exploration)

Anonymous

Ahhh, a person after my own heart.

Yeah I loved the episode (even if “seether” was in it) and always had wished they’d make a movie or spinoff about an Explorer vessel.

The episode explains they’re used for dropping gates and mapping. But beyond that I assumed they would be kind of like a “Star Trek” team, exploring new worlds, doing first-contact, that sort of thing.

Here’s some quotes straight from JMS mouth:

Explorer ships *are* jump-capable. And they survey areas that look like they have good resources to exploit. The problems at Sigma 957 come and go at irrgular intervals, and wasn’t there when the explorer vessel came, saw a lot of good worlds to exploit, and left a gate.

jms

You don’t leave one gate and fly light years to another; you use the same gate for going in and going out. Explorer Ship A comes out of hyperspace; looks around; decides that there are planets in this area that are worth possible colonizing, exploitation, that sort of thing; it’s a very quick overview. (Or they go to systems that have been already selected.) They construct a gate, finish the job, and move on. Other ships can now use this gate for entering and leaving this system. Is this clearer?

jms

Owning your own space ship isn’t cheap, but it also isn’t as expensive as it might be. The investment is about the same as starting up your own business. There’s not a lot of civilian “touring cars,” for lack of a better term; better to use the liners and shuttles. But for businesses, surveyers, explorers, traders and the like…yeah, they’re within one’s grasp. And these sorts of ships are pretty much all run by computer. No crew required. Just go from place to place. If it’s a scientific survey ship, then you’ll have
    some more.

jms

You can find more over at JMSnews.com with the “Search feature”

As for the Earth Force 1 starship, I always was a bit confused on that. It’s a giant space station almost like an early Babylon project. But with *huge** engines.

Anonymous

I guess Crusade comes close to being a spinoff about explorer ships as the Excaliber somtimes jumps in to unknown systems (which may or may not have a gate), a spinoff about an explorer ship would be an interesting concept (besides, I prefer the black uniforms on Explorers to normal earth force)

Alkoman
    Participant

i saw the last episode of crusade but they still didint find a cure for the plague…so i wonder what happened? 😡

Headgehog
    Participant
    ”kai” wrote:

I guess Crusade comes close to being a spinoff about explorer ships as the Excaliber somtimes jumps in to unknown systems

Closer then you might think. The first ship we see in the series (in TNT’s episode order) is an Explorer class vessel. Gideon was assigned to one, hence his experinece with new races and exploring past the rim.

Alkoman wrote:

i saw the last episode of crusade but they still didint find a cure for the plague…so i wonder what happened?

A cure was found. But we just don’t know who discovered/created it, or how it was pulled off.

”kai” wrote:

What was the Earth Force 1 Starship?

It’s similar to Air Force One. Its a civilian luxury transport modified with a bunch of military tech to make it safe for the president. We only saw it once, in the season 1 finale Chrysalis. It blew up near Io Station.

grumbler
    Participant

The vibes I get from the reviews of the unfilmed scripts (I haven’t seen the scripts themselves) is that the renegade Earthforce types who were exploiting the leftover shadowtech were in possession of the answer to the plague (which had to do with the fact that the plague was “intelligent” and centrally directed) and that the Crusade crew found out too much about the actual state of the shadowtech experiments while gaining the info that lead to the cure to be “allowed to get away alive” – which was to be the basis of the actual five year arc for Crusade.

My guess as to the plot of the new movie is that it follows this plot line – including the involvement of the PsiCorps in such experiments, and the Telepath War that results when the “mundanes” find out how much the PsiCorps has to do with the secret “leftover shadowtech” experiments.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.