(Canadian?) DVDs

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Just received this from Videoflicks:

quote:

I just thought you should be forewarned. The studio (Salter Street) behind Lexx has revamped and redated their entire release of Lexx Season Two. It is better for the fans because there will be more episodes per disc, making it cheaper in the long run, however it does not look like they are releasing the entire season. We just want to make sure the fans are kept up to date.

LEXX Season 2 Disc one http://www.videoflicks.com/VF2/9991/9991140.ihtml

LEXX Season 2 Disc 2 http://www.videoflicks.com/VF2/9991/9991143.ihtml

Thanks,
    Rob Paul
    Videoflicks.com

I don’t know what to make of this.. it means that there are now 4 eps per disc rather than 2, but I can’t imagine them not releasing the whole season.

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by Cat:
    I don’t know what to make of this.. it means that there are now 4 eps per disc rather than 2, but I can’t imagine them not releasing the whole season.

Okay, once again…
    The VHS/DVD releases that will be released through Koch in Canada (and sold through Canadian retail outlets such as Videoflicks) are currently being worked on and developed by Salter Street Digital and Acorn Media Publishing. There will be 2 sets released simultaneously on May 29, containing 4 episodes each. Since preparing all of the discs is such a labor-intensive process, meaning filming new interviews, editing full-motion menus, writing copy, selecting pictures, approving box and disc art, personally going through all of the minutiae to spot-check any problems with the videos (I’m preparing them with tender loving care), while simultaneously working on a number of other projects (both on Acorn’s and Salter’s end), putting out the entire season at one time would be completely infeasible. Trust me, we’re coming down to the wire attempting to get just the two done.
    The whole season WILL be released. The first two will be out on May 29, with the remaining 3 coming out one at a time at approx. 2-month intervals (all dates subject to change). Acorn Media will be distributing it in the US, and Koch will be distributing it in Canada. If you live in the US, buy the Acorn release. If you live in Canada, buy the Koch release.
    For further elucidation, go check out the forum “LEXX DVD Stuff.”

–Aleck

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by Cat:

Okay, once again…
    The VHS/DVD releases that will be released through Koch in Canada (and sold through Canadian retail outlets such as Videoflicks) are currently being worked on and developed by Salter Street Digital and Acorn Media Publishing. There will be 2 sets released simultaneously on May 29, containing 4 episodes each. Since preparing all of the discs is such a labor-intensive process, meaning filming new interviews, editing full-motion menus, writing copy, selecting pictures, approving box and disc art, personally going through all of the minutiae to spot-check any problems with the videos (I’m preparing them with tender loving care), while simultaneously working on a number of other projects (both on Acorn’s and Salter’s end), putting out the entire season at one time would be completely infeasible. Trust me, we’re coming down to the wire attempting to get just the two done.
    The whole season WILL be released. The first two will be out on May 29, with the remaining 3 coming out one at a time at approx. 2-month intervals (all dates subject to change). Acorn Media will be distributing it in the US, and Koch will be distributing it in Canada. If you live in the US, buy the Acorn release. If you live in Canada, buy the Koch release.

–Aleck

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by Aleck:
    The first two will be out on May 29, with the remaining 3 coming out one at a time at approx. 2-month intervals (all dates subject to change). Acorn Media will be distributing it in the US, and Koch will be distributing it in Canada. If you live in the US, buy the Acorn release. If you live in Canada, buy the Koch release.

–Aleck

cat just started a new job a couple of weeks ago (how’s it going cat?!) so what with the hoo haw over the uncon and various other developments i am sure we are all a little lost at this point…which is good for me since i am usually a LOT lost but aleck, do you know anything about european releases or is that completely out of your bailiwick except for rumor? i guess i am going to have to break down and buy a dvd player, which is okay since i am having difficulty programming my latest vcr any way, are there any incompatibility issues between european and us dvd or is it a moot point since it’s all digitized data so the only issue is language? sorry to sound like such a complete dunderpate on this but i really don’t keep up with technology since my new rule (one year old) Thou shalt not buy any new toys until thou figures out how to use thine current toys! love fx

[This message has been edited by FX (edited March 07, 2001).]

Anonymous

quote:

The first two will be out on May 29, with the remaining 3 coming out one at a time at approx. 2-month intervals (all dates subject to change). Acorn Media will be distributing it in the US, and Koch will be distributing it in Canada. If you live in the US, buy the Acorn release. If you live in Canada, buy the Koch release.

–Aleck

cat just started a new job a couple of weeks ago (how’s it going cat?!) so what with the hoo haw over the uncon and various other developments i am sure we are all a little lost at this point…which is good for me since i am usually a LOT lost but aleck, do you know anything about european releases or is that completely out of your bailiwick except for rumor? i guess i am going to have to break down and buy a dvd player, which is okay since i am having difficulty programming my latest vcr any way, are there any incompatibility issues between european and us dvd or is it a moot point since it’s all digitized data so the only issue is language? sorry to sound like such a complete dunderpate on this but i really don’t keep up with technology since my new rule (one year old) Thou shalt not buy any new toys until thou figures out how to use thine current toys! love fx

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by FX:

cat just started a new job a couple of weeks ago (how’s it going cat?!) so what with the hoo haw over the uncon and various other developments i am sure we are all a little lost at this point…

I didn’t mean to sound like I was frustrated with Cat…I’m just tired of Videoflicks getting the info wrong. Nothing personal, Cat. Sorry if it came across that way.

but aleck, do you know anything about european releases or is that completely out of your bailiwick except for rumor?

Euro releases in general, or LEXX releases? As far as LEXX goes, I gots no overseas info.

i guess i am going to have to break down and buy a dvd player, which is okay since i am having difficulty programming my latest vcr any way, are there any incompatibility issues between european and us dvd or is it a moot point since it’s all digitized data so the only issue is language?

For completely stupid reasons, the DVD market is broken up into regions. North American releases are Region 1, UK/Western Europe is Region 2, Asia is Region 3 (I think that’s how it works…I know UK is Region 2). DVDs that are region-encoded are only playable on decks that are set up to play that region’s discs. Kinda like the European PAL standard for VHS and the US NTSC standard. One isn’t compatible with the other. There are DVD players that can allow you to bypass region encoding (as well as Macrovision copyright protection software), but some of them have their own idiosyncratic problems (bad audio-video matching, etc.). There are also discs that are made that are not region-encoded, and are playable on all players. It’s a complex issue. But, basically, like with Euro VHS tapes, you can’t play ’em on US decks.
    DVDs are just about the neatest things in the world, though (speaking from a videophile standpoint, rather than a professional one). The sound is much better, the picture is TONS better, and there’s the opportunity to get tons of extra features like running commentaries, trailers, stuff like that.

–Aleck

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by FX:

cat just started a new job a couple of weeks ago (how’s it going cat?!) so what with the hoo haw over the uncon and various other developments i am sure we are all a little lost at this point…

I didn’t mean to sound like I was frustrated with Cat…I’m just tired of Videoflicks getting the info wrong. Nothing personal, Cat. Sorry if it came across that way.

but aleck, do you know anything about european releases or is that completely out of your bailiwick except for rumor?

Euro releases in general, or LEXX releases? As far as LEXX goes, I gots no overseas info.

i guess i am going to have to break down and buy a dvd player, which is okay since i am having difficulty programming my latest vcr any way, are there any incompatibility issues between european and us dvd or is it a moot point since it’s all digitized data so the only issue is language?

For completely stupid reasons, the DVD market is broken up into regions. North American releases are Region 1, UK/Western Europe is Region 2, Asia is Region 3 (I think that’s how it works…I know UK is Region 2). DVDs that are region-encoded are only playable on decks that are set up to play that region’s discs. Kinda like the European PAL standard for VHS and the US NTSC standard. One isn’t compatible with the other. There are DVD players that can allow you to bypass region encoding (as well as Macrovision copyright protection software), but some of them have their own idiosyncratic problems (bad audio-video matching, etc.). There are also discs that are made that are not region-encoded, and are playable on all players. It’s a complex issue. But, basically, like with Euro VHS tapes, you can’t play ’em on US decks.
    DVDs are just about the neatest things in the world, though (speaking from a videophile standpoint, rather than a professional one). The sound is much better, the picture is TONS better, and there’s the opportunity to get tons of extra features like running commentaries, trailers, stuff like that.

–Aleck

trillian
    Participant

quote:

–Aleck

And speaking from a lazy persons point of view, you don’t have to wait to rewind the suckers either. That is A+ in my book.
    Also, DVD’s don’t take up as much space as VHS tapes. And if you have to stop in the middle of the movie, for whatever reason, you aren’t gonna ruin the DVD if you eject it, and you have those cool chapter selections, so you can pick up where you left off.

trillian

——————
    “…we will be restoring normality just as soon as we are sure what normal is anyway.”

trillian
    Participant

quote:

–Aleck

And speaking from a lazy persons point of view, you don’t have to wait to rewind the suckers either. That is A+ in my book.
    Also, DVD’s don’t take up as much space as VHS tapes. And if you have to stop in the middle of the movie, for whatever reason, you aren’t gonna ruin the DVD if you eject it, and you have those cool chapter selections, so you can pick up where you left off.

trillian

——————
    “…we will be restoring normality just as soon as we are sure what normal is anyway.”

Anonymous

thanx guys particularly aleck for info…you know it seems to me in the dim recesses of my memories of am history that henry ford’s big contribution to the industrial age was the concept of factory line assemblage and interchangeable parts to make manufacture easier and more maintainable and therefore affordable…but it seems that we have lost that concept in the technology age where everyone tries to have his own version of the mousetrap which doesn’t talk to other mousetraps…in my household this was typified by my exhusband’s obsession with mac’s and my refusal to leave ibm clone hardware…of course he is much more computer literate than i and can swim easily in either medium…but it’s all very frustrating as i go back and forth to europe a lot and would like to share films et al with my friends and family over there but i always have to worry about compatibility issues, as well as the more mundane electricity and plug problems!

Anonymous

thanx guys particularly aleck for info…you know it seems to me in the dim recesses of my memories of am history that henry ford’s big contribution to the industrial age was the concept of factory line assemblage and interchangeable parts to make manufacture easier and more maintainable and therefore affordable…but it seems that we have lost that concept in the technology age where everyone tries to have his own version of the mousetrap which doesn’t talk to other mousetraps…in my household this was typified by my exhusband’s obsession with mac’s and my refusal to leave ibm clone hardware…of course he is much more computer literate than i and can swim easily in either medium…but it’s all very frustrating as i go back and forth to europe a lot and would like to share films et al with my friends and family over there but i always have to worry about compatibility issues, as well as the more mundane electricity and plug problems!

Anonymous
    Inactive

I didn’t realise that the Canadian and US releases would be the same.
    I start *another* job on Friday which will last 3 months but am on the train for 3hrs down to plymouth tomorrow..

Anonymous
    Inactive

I didn’t realise that the Canadian and US releases would be the same.
    I start *another* job on Friday which will last 3 months but am on the train for 3hrs down to plymouth tomorrow..

Anonymous

Good Luck, Cat…on your next job!
    TY Aleck, for continued efforts to keep us all in tune with what’s happeniing with the DVDs!
    *Rust mumbles and grumbles*
    My lovie just got laid off again, and it looks like if I want to go to Halifax, I’ll have to juggle something with the credit cards…. Oh, AND get the DVDs…oh my…Well, I’ll ask for those as a birthday present! My b-day being in MAY!!!

——————
    “We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars…” Oscar Wilde

Anonymous

TY Aleck, for continued efforts to keep us all in tune with what’s happeniing with the DVDs!
    My lovie just got laid off again, and it looks like if I want to go to Halifax, I’ll have to juggle something with the credit cards…. Oh, AND get the DVDs…oh my…Well, I’ll ask for those as a birthday present! My b-day being in MAY!!!

——————
    “We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars…” Oscar Wilde

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by Rust:

Ditto here! Again, I apologize if it seemed like I was frustrated with you, Cat. Not intended.

No problem there. I do what I can.

quote:

I’m truly sorry about this, Rust. I know just how you feel. Mine just got laid off as well, back at the beginning of the month. Not a fun situation to find oneself in.

–Aleck

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by Rust:

Ditto here! Again, I apologize if it seemed like I was frustrated with you, Cat. Not intended.

No problem there. I do what I can.

quote:

I’m truly sorry about this, Rust. I know just how you feel. Mine just got laid off as well, back at the beginning of the month. Not a fun situation to find oneself in.

–Aleck

Anonymous

quote:

–Aleck

well, i guess this is completely off topic but what the hell, i just had a completely disgusting day at work for the umpteenth time since saturday and i am beginning to wish i could get laid off, but my condolences to you guys, i hate not knowing where or when my next paycheck is coming from, makes me all cranky and bitter…best of luck to you guys and your significant others in finding new opportunities to pay taxes and juggle bills

Anonymous

quote:

–Aleck

well, i guess this is completely off topic but what the hell, i just had a completely disgusting day at work for the umpteenth time since saturday and i am beginning to wish i could get laid off, but my condolences to you guys, i hate not knowing where or when my next paycheck is coming from, makes me all cranky and bitter…best of luck to you guys and your significant others in finding new opportunities to pay taxes and juggle bills

Anonymous

Hi Cat I’m still here!
    myrrhawa

Anonymous

Hi Cat I’m still here!
    myrrhawa

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.