cats/dogs-which is your favorite

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums Other Forums The Pub cats/dogs-which is your favorite

• This topic has 17 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 22 years ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    SadGeezer
    Keymaster

personally my list goes like this-
    1. cats
    2. dogs
    3. birds
    4. fish
    5. everything else!

i am a huge animal lover! basically the only reason that i put cats above dogs is because i live in an apartment and i don’t think it is fair to the dog to keep them cooped up in an apartment. so i have four kitties. Felix, Shadow Kitty, Maxwell, and Bootsie. i grew up an a farm in the midwest so we were always taking in new pets. we lived in the country and this was before there was a concentrated effort to spay and neuter cats and dogs, so people who did not want to be bothered with taking care of a litter of puppies or kittens would dump these little babies on a country road and just forget about them! we would always take care of the ones that we were able to find and to get them good homes. sometimes even our home. at one time we actually had 15 dogs! and the cats just seem to wander our way and found a home too. it seemed that every now and then a wild animal would find its way to us too. we raised all kinds of baby wildlife like fauns, baby racoons, baby rabbits, baby birds, etc…i really feel blessed to have grown up in a family environment that believed that animals deserve to be respected and cared for!

Anonymous

I like cats. They just seemed to do better with our family than the dogs.

Anonymous

So true Mary Beth, so true !
    My mom was a director of animal rescue and volunteer services, and the head big cat keeper at the Montgomery zoo (USA). And whenever somone ran over a wild animal, they’d bring it to the zoo, and we’d end up with it at our house sine injured animals were usually not taken by the zoo unless they were an endangered species or they were in severe pain (i.e : they’d take a deer with internal injuries, but a broken shelled turtle or abandoned possum babies were SOL)
    We had squrrels, turtles, dogs, cats, once we had a peregrin falcon in the kitchen and a beaver living in the spare bathroom! Usually ,the animals were re released into the wild, but we kept a few ,like Luca the Akita (we named her that because she was beaten regularly by her former owner, who’s mom brought her to the zoo instead of the animal shelter because she thought Luca was a wolf, not a dog), and a few of the squrrels.
    In order, from greatest to least, are my fave pets to have:
    1. Cats (brilliant,and less needy if you have a bunch of pets)
    2. Rats (laugh if you will, but they are trainable, clean, and affectionate, kind of an inexpensive Ferret lol)
    3. Dogs (come on, you know why! )
    4. Possums ( great once they know you, great guard animals if left out of their cage when you go somewhere)
    5. snakes (easy to care for, hard to upset, and very very facinating)
    6. Birds (messy, but affectionate)
    7. Lobsters ( come on, yeah ,the saltwater tank upkeep sucks, but imagine the response when someone sees a live lobster in your house! )
    8. fish (great starter pet for kids…impossible to squish )
    9. hamsters (cute, and playfull)
    10. hissing cockroaches (see Lobsters for reasons )

btw Mary Beth, I wish I had had a deer or racoon Deer were done at the zoo, and the one kind of animal that dad wouldn’t allow were racoons , you were so lucky!!
    Oh, one more thing, we named the Peregrin Falcon Pippin….we were Delikevar (let’s see how many folks know what THAT is…lol)

[ 08-04-2002: Message edited by: Nirvanah Rimmer ]

Anonymous

I prefer catdogs with sauerkraut, chili and onions.

Yum.

Anonymous

Rofl Tish.

I like Dogs, hate domesticated cats. Like wild cats particularly Tigers and Panthers. Lions are cool too especially their society.

Komodo Dragons are one of my favorites too.

I own 2 Siberian Huskies(14, 13 years), 1 recently deceased and a Beagle(12 years)

bonnee
    Participant

I have a soft spot for big fluffy lamingtons in the form of Alaskan Malamutes.

My dog Bonnee is one, and spends twenty three hours of the day lying down on a couch in front of a warm heater, despite being bred to pull a sled in the snow. The other hour of the day she eats, makes wees, poos, and goes for a walk in the hope of getting a pussy cat. Quite bizzare to watch a lazy, placid – and incredibly friendly – dog go feral in the presence of a cat.

Here Comes Bonnee!!

[ 09-04-2002: Message edited by: bonnee ]

Anonymous

I’m a dogs person. Currently have a Rotti/Alsatian cross..she’s got that kind of face and personality that makes 99.9% of people fall in love with her. I would certainly be lost without her, with the other half being away so much. besides, who else would guard me from all those nasty pussy cats & ice-cream vans???

dgrequeen
    Participant

I’ve been owned by dogs all my life. Had a few cats over the years, but it never worked out.

Anonymous

quote:

btw Mary Beth, I wish I had had a deer or racoon Deer were done at the zoo, and the one kind of animal that dad wouldn’t allow were racoons , you were so lucky!!
    Oh, one more thing, we named the Peregrin Falcon Pippin….we were Delikevar (let’s see how many folks know what THAT is…lol)

Nirvanah i feel sure that the reason you weren’t allowed racoons was because they tend to get mean when they get older. we only got to keep them for a few months then we reintroduced then to the wild. this was 25 years ago and i don’t remember how exactly we did that. but all of the wild animals we raised we did the same thing. although i think we may have possibly given the fauns to a reputable petting zoo. where they would live very long lives and bring joy to many children who may never see a deer up close. one of my most upsetting childhood memories was when i was 10-12 years old and i went to the Iowa State Fair. i went to the petting zoo they had and the animals were so skinny their ribs and hip bones were sticking out very clearly. even as a young child i knew this was wrong. when i came home i told my mother and grandmother and they called someone and the owner of the petting zoo was fined and all of the animals were immediately taken away from him.
    it is my opinion that one of the best ways to judge a society is by the way they treat the animals in their lives. pets and wildlife!

[ 12-04-2002: Message edited by: mary beth ]

Anonymous

I’m a cat person. I also think that meerkats are cute.

Anonymous

I’d love to have a Llama, but I’ve heard that if they get angry they spit at you…which is a shame coz they look so cuddly.
    Once had a cat that was so intelligent, she acted more like a dog, you’d call her to sit on your lap and she would, never had another cat like her, her name was tishy, beautiful black cat with the cutest face, we absolutely adored her.
    But now I prefer dogs, my grandmother died recently and as I lived with her for fifteen years (she had various dogs), I was left with a beautiful border collie called Ricky (although I called him wolfie!!!), he was fifteen and really sprightly.
    But as i had never really looked after a pet by myself I did not know how to take care of him properly, I was out of work for a year and had barely enough money or food for myself let alone Ricky, and he began to get painfully thin, then one day he got out of the back garden and was picked up by a dog warden.
    He was taken to a sanctuary and was eventually given a new home, at the time I was heartbroken, but soon began to realise that he was better off there than with me, but I feel so guilty because I promised my Gran that I would look after him if anything happened to her…and I failed.
    It’s one thing that I will always look back on and regret.
    Squishy

FX
    Participant

as a friend of mine used to say;

dogs are here to show us that God’s love is unconditional…cats are here to show us that God’s love is (very)conditional

like marybeth, there were always critters in my house when i was growing up, including Croo-Croo, my raccoon , who did get a bit curmudgeonly as she got older, and delighted in tormenting one of our dogs, Captain Kirk (the other two were, obviously, Mr. Spock and Enterprise )…i think my exhusband and i started going out together originally because of our shared insanity about dogs; we lived in nyc, my apartment allowed dogs, so he got to have a puppy and a girlfriend…murphy is my current companion, a goldador (lab plus golden retriever) and he lives in blissful sloth (his biggest decision is whether to lie on the couch,his chair, or my bed)…he does not molest the visiting lizards, egrets or herons, merely the occasional pussygato…and he only barks at me,and that’s if i neglect to scratch his ears or give him his massage while we are watching tv

mandara k
    Participant

As an owner, I prefer cats because my schedule is so hectic and there is only me, I can’t properly take care of a dog. Growing up, however, my family had dogs because my mother hated cats. We had a dog named Benji who was 1/2 German Shephard 1/2 (sp) bisinji with curly tail and all. He didn’t bark much; but boy could he run!!!! Sometimes, he got loose and we would have to chase him all over town with the car; we clocked at about 40mph at times.
    We had a rooster one time; because we found a chick by the side of the road; I guess it fell off a chick truck; and he was the cutest little furrball you ever saw. My brother named him Tyrannosaurus Rex. Rex was with us until he grew feathers and then he got quite vicious and we had to take him to my aunt’s farm where I’m sure he became Sunday dinner. He was too vicious to last long in the hen house.

DalekTek790
    Participant

I believe birds make the best pets, specifically psittaciforms. I have a pet Melopsittacus Undulatus. His name is Archie.

Anonymous

Cats, of course! Others may disagree on this, but I for one, cannot help but admire an animal that takes advantage of a supposedly ‘superior’ and ‘more highly evolved’ creature through being given free shelter, free food and attention and is rewarded with more free shelter, free food and attention. I mean, the way they act, it’s practically human, innit?

Yep, you gotta love cats! Besides, their lives are also quite exciting, too. When was the last time you saw an award winning West End musical about dogs, hmm? See, I told you.

In short, when it comes to the evolutionary scale, cats deserve the top rung of the ladder of life .

Anonymous

Personally, I go through phases… eg, at the moment I have two dogs – black labrador retriever crosses (one of whom is sick and probably throwing up all over the floor while I sit here typing!), but I would really love to have a cat again…. but when I had two cats, I was really dying for a dog….

Cats annoy me, coz they’re so aloof and nasty and I’m too similar to appreciate it , so I’d choose dogs… but not yappy little fluffy dogs, they just get to me….

I’d absolutely adore to work with big cats – lions specifically – maybe a zodiac thing – that’d be totally cool for me, but I have no real interest in veterinary science or anything, so it’s unlikely….

theVodkaCircle
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Jessi 15:
    I’m a cat person. I also think that meerkats are cute.

I had a funny day at the zoo with our 2 year old who runs excitedly over to a fence yelling “Mum, Dad, LOOK MEERKATS !!!” And I heard some lady next to me say “I thought they were rats”

Anonymous

Hmmm, I bet I know how your 2 year old could ID a Meerkat
    Hakuna Matata

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.