Computer problem – help!

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums Other Forums The Pub Computer problem – help!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    SadGeezer
    Keymaster

I’ve been having a really strange problem since Tuesday (now sunday) and I can’t work out what has gone wrong.

I installed the latest patch for Windows (and IE) and since then I’ve not been able to connect to sadgeezer.com or any of the sites on my host (including their customers). I can’t collect any emails and I don’t have FTP access to sadgeezer.com.

Everything else seems to be working fine.

I assumed that my host was down and did so until Saturday when I left a message on another hosting services board asking what was wrong with my host and had they gone bust? I immediuately got a post back saying that sadgeezer.com was up (and had been for a while) and that doublehost.net (my hosting service) was also working fine.

I contacted my ISP who sugested that enter their a proxy server url in my IE settings and now I can access sadgeezer.com (but still no email or ftp). WOrse still, I decided to unistall the updates and my whole PC went screwy and I had to restore my system (losing the last three months emails ๐Ÿ™ )

I’m completely at a loss what to do now. I still can’t access this site (or any other site on doublehost (tried a tracerout and it hangs up somewhere in Washington).

(note: my pc is connected to my home server which had the updates installed also on tuesday – I’ve uninstalled the updates but not restored a backup because it’s just too painful! – my Pc and server both run windows 98)

Do any of you computer experts know what might be causing the problem?

Fatguy
    Participant

Try these people:

http://www.pcguide.com/vb/

Knowledgeable people and huge membership base, won’t hurt…..and helped me many times…..

Maurice

Anonymous

Thanks dude, I checked the site but couldn’t post since it requires activation via email and I can’t access mine.

I couldn’t see any posts with the same problem though ๐Ÿ™

Any other suggestions?

Fatguy
    Participant
    SadGeezer wrote:

Thanks dude, I checked the site but couldn’t post since it requires activation via email and I can’t access mine.

I couldn’t see any posts with the same problem though ๐Ÿ™

Any other suggestions?

“Sadgeezer” is their newest member….. Strange to see that. There is a way around this if you still can not get in. I will PM you now – Maurice.

sgtdraino
    Participant

Hey dude.

I’m a novice when it comes to the working of computers, but my brother’s your basic computer Yoda. I directed him to your post. Here’s what he said:

one line of his post is a tad confusing
    but if he needs to use a proxy for web access
    he probably needs to do so for ftp or anything else
    I don’t understand why his isp would be using a proxy
    depends on what he means by proxy
    if he’s going to a url
    where he then types in another url
    that’s one thing
    or you go into your internet options
    and setup for proxy
    hard to diagnose
    it sounds more like a problem with his isp
    if he can ping and ftp to other sites
    and it’s just a specific site
    if you can ftp and access via web other sites on the internet the problem is most likely not with your pc
    in other words if he has all the functionality to other places, he should have it to sadgeezer too
    unless he has some kind of firewall setup
    his host could also be filtering him on their side
    he could also try install a new email client/browser to try (mozilla)

This help any?

Anonymous
    Fatguy wrote:

”Sadgeezer” is their newest member….. Strange to see that. There is a way around this if you still can not get in. I will PM you now – Maurice.

๐Ÿ™‚ Yep, annoyed the hellouta me ๐Ÿ™‚ I need to read my email to get some sort of pass key to activate my account. :/

Thanks for your PM, I’ll try it today.

Cheers

Anonymous
    sgtdraino wrote:

one line of his post is a tad confusing but if he needs to use a proxy for web access he probably needs to do so for ftp or anything else I don’t understand why his isp would be using a proxy depends on what he means by proxy if he’s going to a url where he then types in another url that’s one thing or you go into your internet options and setup for proxy hard to diagnose it sounds more like a problem with his isp if he can ping and ftp to other sites and it’s just a specific siteif you can ftp and access via web other sites on the internet the problem is most likely not with your pc in other words if he has all the functionality to other places, he should have it to sadgeezer too unless he has some kind of firewall setup his host could also be filtering him on their side
    he could also try install a new email client/browser to try (mozilla)

This help any?

Thanks for passing the message on SD! ๐Ÿ™‚

I think the confusion comes from the fact that my ISP (a Brit cable company) is not my Host supplier (a US based hosting company). When I spoke to my ISP they said they (the opperator) could access sadgeezer.com no problem, and they talked me through using their webcashe proxy server as a temporary solution to getting round the problem. They told me that this proxy would also work for email and FTP. Unfortunately it only works through web access.

I can confirm that I don’t have access to ANY of my Host services (ie. web, email or FTP for sadgeezer.com or any other doublehost.net client).

I tried a traceroute to the server (without going via the blueyonder proxy server) and this is the result:

================================================
    === VisualRoute report on 27-Sep-03 16:10:18 ===
    ================================================

Report for http://www.sadgeezer.com [207.44.236.50]

Analysis: IP packets are being lost past network “Everyones Internet, Inc. EVRY-BLK-1” at hop 13. There is insufficient cached information to determine the next network at hop 14.

———————————————————————————————————————————
    | Hop | IP Address | Node Name | Location | ms | Network |
    | 0 | 4.0.0.3 | l0.washdc3-cmb1.bbnplanet.net | Washington, DC, USA | | Genuity GNTY-4-0 |
    | 1 | —.—.0.1 | SERVER | … | 0 | (private use) |
    | 2 | —.—.0.1 | – | … | 8 | (private use) |
    | 3 | —.—.32.33 | gsr01-pr.blueyonder.co.uk | – | 11 | Cable Internet Ltd |
    | 4 | 194.117.136.58 | kno-rab-pre-pos.telewest.net | ?(United Kingdom) | 31 | Telewest Cable Internet |
    | 5 | 194.117.136.158 | – | ?(United Kingdom) | 34 | Telewest Cable Internet |
    | 6 | 194.117.147.34 | 905.ge6-1.mpr1.lhr1.uk.mfnx.net | London, UK | 19 | Telewest Cable Internet |
    | 7 | 208.184.231.174 | so-4-1-0.cr1.lhr3.uk.above.net | London, UK | 24 | Abovenet Communications, Inc. |
    | 8 | 64.125.31.186 | so-7-0-0.cr1.dca2.us.above.net | Washington, DC, USA | 90 | Abovenet Communications, Inc. |
    | 9 | 208.185.0.230 | so-6-2-0.cr1.atl2.us.mfnx.net | – | 103 | Abovenet Communications, Inc ABOVENET-6 |
    | 10 | 208.185.0.217 | so-0-0-0.cr1.atl2.us.mfnx.net | – | 101 | Abovenet Communications, Inc ABOVENET-6 |
    | 11 | 64.125.31.25 | so-3-0-0.mpr1.iah1.us.above.net | – | 115 | Abovenet Communications, Inc ABOVENET |
    | 12 | 216.200.251.61 | 216.200.251.61.ev1.net | … | 117 | Abovenet Communications, Inc ABOVENET-5 |
    | 13 | 207.218.245.41 | – | … | 119 | Everyones Internet, Inc. EVRY-BLK-1 |
    | … | | | | | |
    | ? | 207.44.236.50 | http://www.sadgeezer.com | … | | Everyones Internet, Inc. EVRY-BLK-11 |
    Roundtrip time to 207.218.245.41, average = 119ms, min = 119ms, max = 123ms — 27-Sep-03 16:10:18

It seems strange that all this trouble should have started after installing the latest WIndows IE update (perhaps it’s a security bug or something) and it also seems strange that the problems appear with ONLY doublehost.net (I tried FTP’ing to a different host and that was fine – so I don’t think it could be the security thing after all).

Any ideas?! Those of you who have tried to email me will notice that my inbox has now reached its limit (I normally get around 500 emails per day (junk mostly) and I’ve not been able to collect them for a week now ๐Ÿ™ )

sgtdraino
    Participant

Hey dude,

My bro had this to say:

”MyBrother” wrote:

his traceroute doesn’t show anything unusual
    so it doesn’t really add anything
    it’s the same thing anyone else would get
    like if you run a traceroute
    do you know if he said he could ping it or not?

My brother says do this:

”MyBrother” wrote:

telnet to 207.44.236.50 on port 25
    telnet to 207.44.236.50 on port 110
    telnet to 207.44.236.50 on port 143
    telnet to 207.44.236.50 port 80
    and paste what response he gets from each port
    also have him ping 207.44.236.50
    and paste the results for each
    the fact that his isp even mentions their proxy server is very disturbing

I hope that makes sense to you, as it’s greek to me. ๐Ÿ™‚

Anonymous

I can’t telnet, I’m not that much of a techie.

I guess I’ll just have to get back to my ISP and HOST (both of which are really hard to contact).

sgtdraino
    Participant
    SadGeezer wrote:

I can’t telnet, I’m not that much of a techie.

lol. He wondered if you’d say something like that.

In that case, he says go to:

http://help.blueyonder.co.uk/html/software/email/telnet.shtml

This site will (I think) walk you through on how to telnet.

”MyBrother” wrote:

if you look at the page
    it shows you how to telnet to specific ports
    except it says to use a blueyonder address
    replace the blueyonder address with the sadgeezer IP.

http://help.blueyonder.co.uk/html/connected/statuspage.shtml

”MyBrother” wrote:

this mentions their web proxy
    which he should NOT use
    hopefully all his proxy stuff is blank
    if you look at that box on the page that says “proxy settings”
    he should have nothing listed in each of those spaces.

That help?

Anonymous
    Inactive

A god site for anything to do with NTL and BY cablemodems is http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/

Anonymous

….ummm ‘scuse me mister, i know you’ve got a lot on your plate n’ all, but did you get my B5 compo entries??? (well, I thought they were funny…… :roll:) ๐Ÿ™‚ sent them on tuesday evening
    sorry i can’t be of any help…… ๐Ÿ™

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.