‘conversations with dead people’ or…

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums Cult Sci Fi Series Buffy the Vampire Slayer ‘conversations with dead people’ or…

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    FX
    Participant

‘father of lies’…whoever is in control in this arc they set up tonight is definitely of the left hand path…jonathon gets sacrificed on the bathshebic goat due to the lies of the warren ghost, willow almost gets talked into suicide by cassie, and dawn receives the first seeds of doubt about buffy from the joyce ghost…and what a great episode; buffy being psychoanalysed by a vampire, and the evocation of all those great movies; poltergeist, star wars, and the amityville horror…plus that all time great chill fest the exorcist…so what did you guys think? and what about spike biting the girl? what’s up with that? fantasy or real? i loved this one and am on the edge of my seat waiting for the ‘from beneath you it devours’ arc to unfold…by the way; did anyone else think that buffy’s admitting that she does think she is superior harks back to faith, and her fears that she could become like faith? is this how faith is going to be incorporated into the final five episodes of this season; buffy becomes the evil slayer, and faith has to redeem or kill her? maybe with dawn’s betrayal or help? and willow standing by afraid to act? wow i can’t wait!!

Anonymous

Buffy is letting an evil vampire psychoanalyze her; some slayer. Don’t count on her to save the world. It will be all those poor self-sacrificing vampires she has persecuted and that the world has reviled that come to the rescue and save the day. Maybe an army of the “sired” is needed to combat the evil deceiver, and Buffy is uncreating Spike’s righteous work. Don’t count Spike out as a hero. He has to look loathsome before he can make a sacrifice and save us. I have to suspect the scene earlier in the season where he sprawled across a cross was, uh, symbolic of what he really represents for the show. Spike … Jesus … 5 leters … two vowels … they each have an “e” and an “s” … coincidence?

The nerds quoting Star Wars … I like Star Wars but in this context blech. True nerds should quote Richard Feynman, or at last play the bongos.

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by FX:
    ‘father of lies’…whoever is in control in this arc they set up tonight is definitely of the left hand path…

Well, they obviously know their symbols, at least. I dunno if I’d say anyone involved in the show is really a LHP’er, though, since the dichotomy of good v. evil is fairly traditional and explicit, and then there’s all the Willow-speak (which, though the writers clearly have no problem with making fun of neopagans/Wiccans, sticks fairly close to trad. Wiccan, or at least Right-Hand Path, thought).

jonathon gets sacrificed on the bathshebic goat due to the lies of the warren ghost, willow almost gets talked into suicide by cassie, and dawn receives the first seeds of doubt about buffy from the joyce ghost…

Which delves a little deeper into the morphing villain of the season opener. Yeah, this Big Bad has many faces. The question I have, though, is this: where the heck was Xander? Was he out of town? Shooting hoops somewhere? Watching the show at the Bronze? How come *he* didn’t get a visitation from a dead person?

so what did you guys think? and what about spike biting the girl? what’s up with that? fantasy or real?

Oh, it’s real, sister. Remember when he was attacking the sluggoth demon/ex-boyfriend? When he attacked it just as it changed back into human form? He reacted — out of habit — like the chip had kicked in, but there was a definite look of surprise on his face when his shout quickly died out…exactly as if he realized that he didn’t feel *anything* after attacking a human. He hadn’t hurt anyone since his soul was reinstated simply because the conditioning worked. He thought he’d feel bad. But now, the only thing that can cause him pain is his soul, and it’s obviously clear by the number of evil people who have ’em that the presence of a soul is not necessarily going to stop someone from killing (or feeding).

by the way; did anyone else think that buffy’s admitting that she does think she is superior harks back to faith, and her fears that she could become like faith?

Perhaps. Probably more than she knows.

is this how faith is going to be incorporated into the final five episodes of this season; buffy becomes the evil slayer, and faith has to redeem or kill her? maybe with dawn’s betrayal or help? and willow standing by afraid to act? wow i can’t wait!!

Well, since we’re guessing, here’s what my initial thoughts are. Remember the prologues to the first few episodes of this season? The girls in other countries being killed by monk-looking goons? Slayers-in-waiting. Someone (or something) wants all potential replacements for The One *dead* so that there’s no one to take the helm after the Slayer’s gone. Now this person/being may not realize that there are two active Slayers (since Buffy’s already died twice now, and her presence is kind of unofficial — Faith, after Kendra’s death, is now the Slayer at the top of the line, but she seems to have abdicated the position, leaving the Council with no choice but to have Buffy do the job). The monks (or whomever they serve) may eventually come after Faith, who then may go to Buffy either to seek her help or throw the monks off her trail and onto Buffy’s. Or, a newly-humbled Faith may find out that Buffy’s next on the list of targets and try to save her. Or something. But my thoughts are that the deaths of these girls are going to have something to do with both the rising evil and the return of Faith, moreso than Buffy becoming Faith-esque. Willow, I think, knows better than to trust the advice of Cassie (and I also think that hints of a return of “evil Willow” and the potential of this thread keeping her from acting are clever red herrings…she’ll know when to act, and how…she’s strong, like an Amazon, remember?). Dawn, who knows? Teens are unpredictable. But the doubts placed in her head by the fake Joyce will, surely, put Buffy, the Scoobies, and, indeed, the world in extreme peril. She’s going to end up being used by whatever being is behind this, since it now knows her weakness.

–Aleck

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by Aleck:

The question I have, though, is this: where the heck was Xander? Was he out of town? Shooting hoops somewhere? Watching the show at the Bronze? How come *he* didn’t get a visitation from a dead person?

He’s the only one who hasn’t done anything particularly evil. He maybe a bit one dimentional, but he’s one of the few characters who is consistant.

Also, All the others had been touched by or embrased supernatural powers, Dawn is a key, Buffy is superhuman, Spike is a vamp with a soul (a pretty small one I guess) and Willow is a wickedly powerful Wicker.

Or maybe the evil power that is doesn’t think Xander worthy of his/her/it’s time.

Or maybe Xander mocked him with his Monkey breath. “Kill me first”… “I love you Willow” … “I don’t want to live in this world without you…” (can’t remember all the exact words) One of the few completely selfless moments of any of the characters in the last series. I can’t imagine a really evil power manipulating Xander.

I agree with FX and ya’ll, this show was whoppingly good! All the annoyance of season 6 seemed to make sense with this episode – great writing (and from someone who normally writes the soppy episodes).

ADM
    Participant

Or maybe Xander mocked him with his Monkey breath. “Kill me first”… “I love you Willow” … “I don’t want to live in this world without you…” (can’t remember all the exact words) One of the few completely selfless moments of any of the characters in the last series. I can’t imagine a really evil power manipulating Xander.

Howz about Dracula then?, he manipulated Xander pretty darn well and Drac’s a major evil player…ok I now need to shut up and get a life!!!…sorry to butt in.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.