David Dixon (AKA Ford Prefect)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    SadGeezer
    Keymaster

can anyone tell me is David Dixon the one who went to Drapers Mills School in 50’s-60’s? Sister called Pat? It’s driving me mad….

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’ve found his IMDb profile, although these things are rarely totally accurate. I’ll have a little dig to see if there’s a full biography somewhere..

Where is Drapers Mills School? Seems he was born in Derby.

I know we had a Lexxian once who was Marvin’s sister (I believe it’s mentioned somewhere in the HHGTG pages).

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by andrew pain:
    can anyone tell me is David Dixon the one who went to Drapers Mills School in 50’s-60’s? Sister called Pat? It’s driving me mad….

Drapers Mills was in Margate Kent – he would have had to have been 8 or 9 when I knew him, and I don’t remember any Derby accent, just home counties south. Thanks for your help so far. Andrew.
    (and Marvin never had a sister – he was an only-android, orphaned when his parents were swallowed up by a prototype recycling machine, and ended up as supermarket trollies. Their spirit lives on – why else do you think the damned things sometimes have a mind of their own? It’s purely inherited depression coming to the fore….)

Anonymous
    Inactive

Okay, Stephen Moore, the vocal artist for Marvin in both the Radio and Television series and also also the reader of the HH audio books has a sister (or half sister or whatever, I can’t remember exactly) who is/was a Lexxian.

David Dixon got the role as Ford in the TV series when he was suggested by the secretary to the producer, Alan J W Bell, who had decided that Geoffrey McGivern (the voice of Ford from the radio series) was too ‘ordinary looking’.

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by Cat:
    Okay, Stephen Moore, the vocal artist for Marvin in both the Radio and Television series and also also the reader of the HH audio books has a sister (or half sister or whatever, I can’t remember exactly) who is/was a Lexxian.

David Dixon got the role as Ford in the TV series when he was suggested by the secretary to the producer, Alan J W Bell, who had decided that Geoffrey McGivern (the voice of Ford from the radio series) was too ‘ordinary looking’.

An “ordinary looking voice”?
    What, pray, does an “ordinary looking voice” look like? The mind boggles. I have a reputation here as being surreal and sometimes a trifle bizarre (there’s a really good joke there, by the way), but I believe I may be out of my depth with these people, Cat. Thanks. I shall now go off and practice the art of sounding ordinary looking….

Anonymous
    Inactive

*sigh* to quote myself..

David Dixon got the role as Ford in the TV series… Geoffrey McGivern (the voice of Ford from the radio series) was too ‘ordinary looking‘.

Anonymous

Ook ook Monkey here!
    I love reading this stuff!!!!!!
    I’m guessing that most if not all of you are from the Ilses(?) Horse and I have enjoyed HHG for many years but I learned many new things here.
    See you around!

——————
    Monkey

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by Cat:
    *sigh* to quote myself..

David Dixon got the role as Ford in the TV series… Geoffrey McGivern (the voice of Ford from the radio series) was too ‘ordinary looking‘.[/B]

To quote myself: “Oh B****er. You are a complete plonker, Rodney”
    I’ll never get a job as a proof reader, will I?
    Sorry Cat – I’ll just go off and stick my head in a bucket of water, then….still – having an ordinary looking voice is a great concept, isn’t it? I remember a friend from work once phoned me at home. My wife (who’d never met him) answered, had a quick chat before passing to me. When we’d finished she said “Is that Nick from Chicago? Is he tall and thin? Because he sounds it…” My wife would be happy to verify this, ‘cos I know you won’t believe it!
    So perhaps it’s not too far-fetched after all….

Anonymous
    Inactive

I think determining how ordinary a voice is would involve years of study using oscilloscopes and fourier analysis.

Anonymous

Just what is it you like about your daughter’s pony?
    Looked at your profile so I had to ask.

——————
    Monkey

Anonymous

Has anyone notice how blue Ford’s eyes are?

Anonymous

only some Fords have really blue eyes – it’s these new Xenon bulbs they fit to the Ghia models. The others have ordinary white ones. Hope that helps…..andrew

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.