David Lynch

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Hammertoe
    Participant

Mulholland Drive is a fantastic movie but very depressing. Naomi Watts is great as the mentally ill failed actress fantasizing about a different outcome of her life. I put this movie right there with Magnolia and Requiem for a Dream as films that are great but so sad.
    I imagine Hollywood being a vast wasteland full of people with broken dreams. You only see the people who’ve made it and are rich and famous, but if you could see the underbelly then the truth could be told.
    I can’t claim to have seen all of David Lynch’s movies but one in particular that stands out in my memory is Blue Velvet. Dennis Hopper is over the top with his performance. I think I’ll check it out again

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m a David Lynch fan, and yep, Mulholland Drive is kinda depressing (seems I’m really attracted to depressing films) and most excellent. As was Blue Velvet, and as were the other non-Lynch films you mentioned. BTW, for those that have the seen the film, and for those who haven’t, it’s worth checking out: http://www.mulhollanddrive.com/

By the way, have you seen Lynch’s Dune?

Speaking of Hollywood, one of my favourite films about Hollywood is Altman’s black comedy The Player with Tim Robbins in the leading role — excellent.

TrimKlip
    Participant

movie a couple of times to really understand it. What a great flick though. Once you watch it a second and third time you can pick up the parts of the movie that just don’t jive. Also, there is some quality female action that I won’t get into for those who haven’t seen it, but let me just say, Naomi Watts, it’s all good! I’m still trying to figure out what the cowboy was all about. I have an idea but who knows if it’s really meant to be understood ๐Ÿ˜ฏ

——————

I am Claude Balls, but you can call me Peter ( L.L.A.S.)

bonnee
    Participant

Mulholland Drive is great, but sometimes I wonder if Lynch is willfully obscure because he really has nothing to say other than (cough) ‘all is illusion’. The interesting thing about MD though is that it was originally made as a television pilot, and was rejected for being too Lynchian ๐Ÿ˜ฏ So what we see is a remarkably impressive salvaging project of an originally proposed tangential 13 part tv series. MD ends up being Lynch’s version of Sunset Boulevard, and resembles a career overview of his own Hollywood career (tropes, themes, motifs, etc). It comes a little close to being self parody if it wasnt so stark and dark.

Logan, given you’re predilection for road movies, you should check out Lost Highway if you haven’t done so already. Mulholland Drive reprises Lost Highway’s tone and approach, not to mention pivotal ‘twist’ in the road. It could even be argued that Mulholland Drive is Lost Highway lite insofar as it makes many more concessions to the audience and is much more frightening/confusing.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks Bonnee, I’ve only seen a little of Lost Highway. I’ll be sure to look for it in the video store.

Hammertoe
    Participant

bonnee, I’m going to check out that movie ๐Ÿ™‚

in the state of Confusion, I reign

bonnee
    Participant

If and when you both manage to see Lost Highway, please share your thoughts. As for mine, I remember hating it once watching it, and needed to watch something else just to rid myself of the experience. I remember enjoying the other movie much more, but for the life of me can’t remember what is was.

But I couldn’t get Lost Highway out of my head, and found myself wanting to watch it again (and again) a week later in a (failed) bid to put me out my misery. ๐Ÿ™ It has a hypnotic effect on you, much like watching reflected white lines on road pass beneath you at night. Bloody hell – I think I need to watch this piece of crap again ๐Ÿ˜ณ ๐Ÿ˜› ๐Ÿ™„

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.