DAWN! part two

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    bonnee
    Participant

We might have to get really used to her. If the show continues on without SMG in the title role (as has been suggested by the network and producers), Dawn is most likely to fill Buffy’s shoes. Indeed, with talk about the new season going back to ‘ground zero’ and being set in and around Sunnydale High (again), Dawn is apparently going to be a mediating focus of sorts. Whether this is intended as preparatory for a new Slayer or signals a new dawn in the history of the show remains to be seen of course. ( )

Anonymous

I still have concept probs about how Dawn would become the Slayer. I’m afraid I still don’t buy into the theory of Slayers having the powers before they are called (See prev. thread). That just shafts the origins of the series (I’m talkin about the movie here). Joss always seems keen to keep plot devices accurate, and vaguely believable) rather than using the Highlander II style of continuity (i.e. conveniently forget all the cunning plot devices previously set up in the saga). The only way I can see it happening is if Faith croaks. I mean, Buffy has died a few times now (I haven’t been counting), and only one more Slayer has popped up. The only way I can think of, is to kill off Faith. That would be a crying shame. She is a great character with loads of potential. Also I reckon that Joss has plans for her in Angel. Just guessin’ though (or wishful thinking).

Well? What are you waitin’ for? Shoot me full of holes. (and play nice kids… you know who you are!!!!)

bonnee
    Participant

I agree Rag – as indicated in part one – that the Dawn scerario is ‘unlikely’ (conceptually speaking), and I hope I’ve misunderstood Whedon’s remarks (quite possible in view of his desire to encourage Faith back into the fold). I would just love to see her in a possible spin off and look forward to seeing her again in the new seasons of Angel and Buffy. In my view, Faith remains the most interesting character in the Buffy universe, and it would be especially interesting to watch someone so unstable hold everything together. Then again – Dawn might be the key to a possible spinoff (we have no reason to assume that the spinoff should be literally faithful to the series – the connection might be tangential). Whedon might therefore find a way to reconceive or reconfigure his own concept/s, and her relation to them. I certainly like the idea of From Dusk to Dawn being able to (somehow) renegotiate the possible conceptual sleight of hand for him.

[ 27-08-2002: Message edited by: bonnee ]

Anonymous

Well remote as some think it might be, there still remains that possibility, it has been said that the monks would’ve have given Dawn knowledge is she were to be a slayer, well if I remember rightly, Dawn did not even know she was the key, so it was obvious that aside from being Buffy’s sister she had no idea of the supernatural, let alone having slayer powers.
    It’s obvious the monks were powerful, it must have taken some doing to convert the key into a human life form, so what’s to say they did not give her powers of the slayer as well!?!
    But I still think that Dawn as a slayer is a difficult pill to swallow, it would be making the programme take a huge leap back, and I couldn’t see the scooby gang sticking around as Dawn would probably get her own scooby gang going.
    BTW, Buffy has died twice, but the first time she died Kendra was called (the african slayer), then Kendra got done by Drusilla, so Faith was then called, but Buffy still is a slayer, but a rogue slayer according to the council of watchers.
    Squishy

Anonymous

I think the character is wonderful! Ms Trachtenbergnenbmnmnm was recommended by SMG I believe and hasn’t disappointed. She had a helluva time settling in (Amid all the hate mail – mine included) but aside from the teen crap (which I guess we all went through) she’s been a fun character to watch.

FX
    Participant

the previous thread has hit an acrimonious forty posts and so will be restarted here:
    Stu
    Aspiring SadGeezer
    Member # 639
    posted 14-08-2002 12:45 PM
    ——————————————————————————–
    Does anybody else think that there’s really no point to having Dawn in the show anymore?
    I mean all she seems to do to is be a liability to Buffy and be a selfish, whiney, stereotypical teenager. In series 6, she spent almost every episode feeling sorry for herself and saying that Buffy and the others didn’t care for her-HELLO! Your sister sacrificed herself last series so you didn’t have to!
    What’s your take on her?
    ——————–

Stu

——————————————————————————–
    Posts: 9 | From: Glasgow, Scotland | Registered: May 2002 | IP: Logged

[ 27-08-2002: Message edited by: FX ]

Rag
    Participant

Yeah, I think the poor lass was put into a really tough situation. She got dumped into a storyline which didn’t make sense at the time. The vast majority of the viewing public like to feel in control and didn’t seem like her bizzare entrance (well, it confused the hell out of me). That combined with the fact that the writers seemed to be playing down the charater at the time meant that she came across as rather limp.

Given time to develop, I think she will fill out quite nicely (no pun intended… much). But that will really depend upon what the writers have planned for her. I think it’s perfectly feasible that she could from her own group of teenage pseudo scoobies at school, whether she goes Slayer or not. She is involved in the whole thing now. They can’t justify trying to shield her from the nasties now. And I have felt for a while that they desperately need some new core charaters. It’s all been rather unbalanced since Giles and Oz left and Xander has been taking a more background role (but that may just have been a plot device to make his talking Willow down appear more heroic).

I could quite easily see them using Dawn to crowbar in some fresh blood.

Rag
    Participant

Woohoo, my first official post up in lights!!
    I feel sooo special.

Anonymous

I wonder if the fact that Faith is now committed to appear in the final five episodes of Buffy this season is indicative of things to come. That’s a pretty intensive and concentrated reappearance towards the end of the ‘final’ season.

Anonymous

I agree that Dawn can be entertaining at times, and I don’t hate Michelle Tracheneneneneneneneneneberg at all. I could live with her being there if they could just tone down the Teen cliches a bit. I hope they concentrate more on characters like Willow and Spike this season too.

bonnee
    Participant

Season 8 Update (from Sci Fi Wire http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/art-main.html?2002-09/23/14.00.tv )

Buffy Season 8 Mulled

Marti Noxon, executive producer of UPN’s Buffy the Vampire Slayer, told SCI FI Wire that producers are already mulling options for how to continue the show beyond the upcoming seventh season, with or without star Sarah Michelle Gellar. Among the possibilities: a show centered on Buffy’s little sister Dawn (Michelle Trachtenberg) or one centered on wayward slayer Faith (Eliza Dushku), Noxon said in an interview. Gellar’s contract expires at the end of the new season, and she has previously expressed doubts about returning full-time.

An eighth season of Buffy “is a discussion that we’ve begun to start having … with both [producing studio] Fox and UPN,” Noxon said. “But it’s really … stages. I think the main thing that [creator] Joss [Whedon] feels, and I also feel, is that we wouldn’t continue if we didn’t feel that we had something exciting to bring to the table. If it felt like we were desperately trying to keep the franchise alive, that’s not something that I think interests him. I think it’s much more about, can we come up with a concept that might be either Sarah-free or Sarah-light that feels, you know, like a show worth doing? And if we’re all excited about doing it and have the same level of passion, then gung ho, you know? But if we don’t, I think nobody sort of wants to see a pale imitation of what was. It’s a tough call. It’s a tough thing. We’ll see. But we do have some ideas. And Joss has some great ideas. And we’re kicking those all around. And we don’t know. Sarah has not said definitively no, but I think it’s pretty likely that she’d at least want to scale her involvement back.”

In the upcoming seventh-season premiere, viewers will see a much more active Dawn. Is that setting the stage for Trachtenberg to take up Gellar’s stake and cross? “We don’t really have a firm plan,” Noxon said. “I mean, that’s obviously one of the possibilities. But we haven’t settled on that at all. … I think it was just time to grow Dawn up a little bit. And it’s just sort of a natural thing that she would want to sort of follow in Buffy’s footsteps. So it’s much more about story. And if at the end of that process, we’re like, ‘Wow, she’s a natural replacement,’ then that might happen. But it’s not a foregone conclusion at all.”

Noxon confirmed that Faith will return toward the end of the seventh season. But whether or not she’s poised to replace Buffy “depends entirely on [Dushku],” who has an active film career, Noxon said. “But it’s definitely a very interesting possibility. I know some fans … are pretty excited about that. So we’ll see. I mean, I can really see that show. I know what that show is. And so that’s nice, you know? She’s such a good character. And Eliza’s very charismatic. So I can see what that show would be. But again, many, many hurdles. And I don’t even know if Eliza’s interested.” Buffy kicks off its new season on Sept. 24 in its regular 8 p.m. ET/PT Tuesday time slot.

Anonymous

I like the actress, but I get worn out on Dawn very quickly. The Dawn personna works my nerves. I still wonder how she can actually be a person when, initially, she was an entity. Did Buffy’s death neutralize her as the Key? If not, maybe in season 7 she will come into her own as a force for good.

Anonymous

My two cents on Stu’s post: I used to think Dawn was whiney. I really wasn’t fond of the character. Everytime she opened her mouth, I prepared myself for two-year-old like fits and pouts.

At the ending of the sixth season and the beginning of the seventh season, she seems to have finally found her own voice. I’m impressed they don’t put in a fight between Buffy and Dawn at every little decision Buffy must make on behalf of her sister. I also like that Dawn is thinking for herself more and not running to find help or protection at the first sign of a boogeyman. There’s hope for the character yet!

Anonymous

I think that Dawn should be the new Slayer and that Faith should take on the role of Giles.

Tee hee, wadda blast! Now that would be a show worth watching {drooling}.

Anonymous

Dawn bening the new buffy would involve too much complications for me.

if buffy stops being the slayer one of 2 things has to happen

buffy dies- dawn would have to either move to la with her dad( or buffys dad depends on the memory thing) so we might as well just watch angel

or move in with either giles or one of the scoobies (depends on who would want to coninue on the show)

Buffy stops being slayer- buffy wouldnt quit without doing something to protect sunidale/destroy hellmouth, there wouldnt be much for dawn to do as life would be nice and demon free

buffy loses powers, dawn would take over fighting and if the execs can buffy would apear at the house from time to time (prob wouldnt happen, if smg is still in show everyone would want her to be slayer)

faith is the better choice for slayer, they can make whatever relationships they want or have a completely new cast somewhere else.

Anonymous

She could prove me wrong, but I honestly don’t think Michelle Trachtennaenwhatever has the chops to carry the Vampire Slayer saga forward. And I never liked Faith. So if they go on with an eighth season, they’re going to have to pull a rabbit out of a hat.

Rag
    Participant

I don’t think Miss T would be able to carry it off with the current scooby lineup. They are all to ensconsed in their roles. Well, it wouldn’t work for me anyway. But if they got in a new ‘supporting’ cast (and I use the term supporting in the loosest possible way. MSG may have top billing, but she alone does not make the show great), more tailored to her character, I think she would do ok. She is a pretty good actor/ess (I ain’t good at PC), and very capable at carrying a role. Whether it would still keep me interested tho…

Anyway, I seem to vaguely recall someone mentioning a rumour that she was going to be joining Giles in his spin off.

Anonymous

I think that Dawn should be the new Slayer and that Faith should take on the role of Giles.

I couldn’t agree more with the SadGeezer.

bonnee
    Participant

So if they go on with an eighth season, they’re going to have to pull a rabbit out of a hat.

I think Bugs Bunny or Roger Rabbit should be considered instead of Faith or Dawn

Anonymous

In view of Faith being a lunatic, she seems a poor choice for the new heroine. Last we saw, she was on Angel and trying to kill everyone and everything. Next we know, she’s trying to get someone to kill her. I seriously doubt the gal that played her is over interested in going back to series TV. She has a good career in movies. My humble opinion is if SMG doesn’t renew, let the show go or completley change it’s format, including the name. That could be a real challenge.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.