Dem Wu Warns of Klingons in WH

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums Other Forums The Pub Dem Wu Warns of Klingons in WH

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Nick -Z.
    Participant

Democrat Wu Warns of Klingons in the White House

http://www.trektoday.com/news/170107_01.shtml

Oregon Democrat David Wu put Klingons in the news this week when he compared the Bush Administration to the Star Trek villains.

“There are Klingons in the White House [but] unlike the real Klingons from Star Trek, these Klingons have never fought a battle of their own,” Wu told Congress. Wonkette has a video clip from YouTube of Wu’s speech, in which he condemns President George Bush for failing to listen to the American people or to Congress when it comes to the war in Iraq. “Don’t let faux Klingons send real Americans to war,” Wu said.

The Chicago Sun-Times added that Wu had said the President of the United States listened to “the so-called Vulcans in the White House”, but his advisors made decisions based on ideology rather than logic. The Bush Administration’s “Vulcans” as discussed in the book The Rise of the Vulcans were named not after Star Trek’s aliens, but the ancient god of the forge.

D.C. Neocons calling themselves Vulcans is an insult to Star Trek, Spock, and that excellent race of logical humanoids. It’s also an insult to the intelligence of every Star Trek fan in the world.

“It might sound silly to people who loathe Star Trek or are indifferent to it, but I do think science fiction is a good way for society to get a better perspective and to learn what to do in a moral predicament,” Barad said. “We could see the role of leaders reflected in Star Trek characters.”

However, Barad said she thought a comparison between the Bush administration and the Cardassians would have been more apt: “Klingons look out for each other, and it certainly doesn’t seem like the president is looking out for our troops,” she explained. The Cardassians, however, “were not as concerned with honor as the Klingons were.”

Yeah, the Bushies are definitely more like Cardassians, howver, the dupes following their orders on the battlefield, they are as bad-ass and murderous as Klingons.

hishadow
    Participant

I always regarded everything in Star Trek as highly militarily and rank based. As for D.C. Neocons calling themselves Vulcans, it makes perfect sense, for themselves. ๐Ÿ˜€

ed: concerning neocons – I just saw a documentary called The Power of Nightmares some days ago. Stumbled upon it. A BBC documentary from 2004. Recommended. A really bold documentary in my eyes.

MuadDib
    Participant

Nahhh, they’re definitely the Borg:

“You will be assimilated”: Yep, Starbucks and Mac Donalds will arrive shortly,

“Your culture will adapt to service ours”: Yep, the whole oil thing,

“Freedom is irrelevant self determination is irrelevant”: Yep, *COUGH* Florida *COUGH* 2000 Elections,

and as for the neocons referring to themselves as Vulcans, “That captain is not logical”

theFrey
    Participant

I think we need a GWBush version of ‘Peter’s Evil Overlord List’

You know some simple bullet (ha) point list of things that GW has learned and the next Bush (Jeb?) can use so that his total domination of the world runs a little smoother.

Although I do think they could list one or two from the main list. Had Bush followed even these few, his domination plans would have gone much smoother.

12. One of my advisors will be an average five-year-old child. Any flaws in my plan that he is able to spot will be corrected before implementation.

24. I will maintain a realistic assessment of my strengths and weaknesses. Even though this takes some of the fun out of the job, at least I will never utter the line “No, this cannot be! I AM INVINCIBLE!!!”

37. If my trusted lieutenant tells me my Legions of Terror are losing a battle, I will believe him. After all, he’s my trusted lieutenant.

aquabloodstone
    Participant

Quote:
    “It might sound silly to people who loathe Star Trek or are indifferent to it, but I do think science fiction is a good way for society to get a better perspective and to learn what to do in a moral predicament,” Barad said. “We could see the role of leaders reflected in Star Trek characters.”

Well, I mean Star Trek and quite a lot of sci fi in general was/is an allegorical statement warning/cautioning what the world will become in the presence of the kind of thinking we’ve been subjected to. Makes perfect sense to me. And, horror of horrors, I’m one of those indifferent to it, Star Trek that is (don’t hurt me ๐Ÿ˜€ ).

Nick -Z.
    Participant

I always regarded everything in Star Trek as highly militarily and rank based.

Yes, but it’s not just a job, it really is an adventure. Unless you’re doing double-duty shifts in the engine room.
    Gene Roddenberry once said about Star Trek, “It gives us a very optimistic view of humanity’s future.” Yeah, sure, if we can just ignore the Klingons, the Romulans, the Cardassians, the Borg, the Jemhadda, the Orion Syndicate, etc… What looks like more war, violence, and lives-cut-short in every direction and corner of the galaxy.

As for D.C. Neocons calling themselves Vulcans, it makes perfect sense, for themselves.

The brains behind the empire… that’s them alright. But they are hardly anywhere near as logical or intelligent as the Star Trek version.

Nahhh, they’re definitely the Borg:

“You will be assimilated”: Yep, Starbucks and Mac Donalds will arrive shortly,

“Your culture will adapt to service ours”: Yep, the whole oil thing,

“Freedom is irrelevant self determination is irrelevant”

Good points. The Borg is what might be referred to as the “epitome of the military machine”. It is programed to follow the orders of the Queen without question, completely expendable, arrogant and egocentric to the point of absolute vanity, rationalizing destruction of lives for its greater ideals of perfection, and finally, unable to tolerate or understand anyone that would oppose such higher ideals.

The Borg assimilates technology and resources for its greater good with blind arrogance. Sounds like the corporate monster that has made the seat of its empire in Washington, D.C.

Quote:
    12. One of my advisors will be an average five-year-old child. Any flaws in my plan that he is able to spot will be corrected before implementation.

As long as that child hasn’t already had the fear of God and all the Xtian ignorance that goes with it programed into his/her brain. We’ve already got enough of those dumbed-down morons in positions of power in the US of A.

Well, I mean Star Trek and quite a lot of sci fi in general was/is an allegorical statement warning/cautioning what the world will become in the presence of the kind of thinking we’ve been subjected to. Makes perfect sense to me. And, horror of horrors, I’m one of those indifferent to it, Star Trek that is

Problem is, a majority tend to ignore the lessons of sci-fi, history, and reality, in favor of irresponsible actions designed for sensationalistic fun at the expense of others, and they often do so with fascist arrogance based upon the preconception that they are superior and others are inferior. Star Trek does a good job reminding us of these lessons, but it also gets somewhat hypocritical when caught up in the emotional sensationalism itself.

hishadow
    Participant

A video of the speech.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pe4WA58rMu0

He should have ended with the V sign!
    ๐Ÿ˜†

This man is hillarious. Check his slogan: WU COMING TO YOU! (http://www.house.gov/wu/WuComingToYou.htm)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.