Discovering MM’s Music

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums Cult Sci Fi Series Lexx Discovering MM’s Music

• This topic has 26 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 23 years ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    SadGeezer
    Keymaster

Try these on your Napster:
    Trip Hop
    Portishead
    Massive Attack
    Tricky
    Bill Frisell
    and Shubert’s Winterreise (I couldn’t find this tho’)
    These are all groups mentioned by MM on Pat’s MM interview site.
    I was curious, he’s a musician, and I had to find out what’s musically interesting to him. Not to mention, expanding my own musical horizons.
    I went to a jazz music college. Learned to play “Over The Rainbow” in jazz chords and time. I never really took to it. Classical has always had a soft spot in my heart.

Go, search, listen, and tell me what you think.

My take on it is “Wow, mmkay, he’s uh, really DEEP in his musical tastes. And rather trippy.”
    I’m gonna hunt down all of this stuff tonight at work and have an intensive session of listening while I work. Frankly tho’ I think I’m gonna go home in a fog…this stuff is REALLY out there.

——————
    “We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars…” Oscar Wilde

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by Rust:
    Trip Hop
    Portishead
    Massive Attack
    Tricky
    Bill Frisell
    I was curious, he’s a musician, and I had to find out what’s musically interesting to him. Not to mention, expanding my own musical horizons.
    I went to a jazz music college. Learned to play “Over The Rainbow” in jazz chords and time. I never really took to it. Classical has always had a soft spot in my heart.

My take on it is “Wow, mmkay, he’s uh, really DEEP in his musical tastes. And rather trippy.”
    I’m gonna hunt down all of this stuff tonight at work and have an intensive session of listening while I work. Frankly tho’ I think I’m gonna go home in a fog…this stuff is REALLY out there.

“Trip Hop” is not a group/musician, but rather a loosely-defined genre of (primarily) British dance music. Rather loose, slow, and, well, “trippy” dance stuff. I’d recommend out of this Tricky’s “Maxinquaye” or “Pre-Millenium Tension” or the “Nearly God” compilation he put together (which is mostly just Tricky with various lead vocalists, including Icelandic Elf Goddess Bjork), Massive Attack’s “Mezzanine” (though it’s not everybody’s favorite, it’s mine) or “Blue Lines” (which, not coincidentally features Tricky, who was an early member of the band), and Portishead’s “Dummy” (I like the second, self-titled album, but it is much weaker than the debut, a Morricone-inspired and mournful mood epic). Search for any tracks from these albums for a decent representation of these bands.

–Aleck (woohoo! MM and I like the same bands!)

Anonymous

quote:

Trip Hop
    Portishead
    Massive Attack
    Tricky
    Bill Frisell

“Trip Hop” is not a group/musician, but rather a loosely-defined genre of (primarily) British dance music. Rather loose, slow, and, well, “trippy” dance stuff. I’d recommend out of this Tricky’s “Maxinquaye” or “Pre-Millenium Tension” or the “Nearly God” compilation he put together (which is mostly just Tricky with various lead vocalists, including Icelandic Elf Goddess Bjork), Massive Attack’s “Mezzanine” (though it’s not everybody’s favorite, it’s mine) or “Blue Lines” (which, not coincidentally features Tricky, who was an early member of the band), and Portishead’s “Dummy” (I like the second, self-titled album, but it is much weaker than the debut, a Morricone-inspired and mournful mood epic). Search for any tracks from these albums for a decent representation of these bands.

–Aleck (woohoo! MM and I like the same bands!)

Anonymous

AWESOME, Aleck! I’m going to check those right now.
    On another note, I’ve been informed that the lead singer from “The Scorpions” was named Mathias Rust?!
    Auuggghhhh!!!! Not ANOTHER musician in the family?!?!?!

——————

Anonymous

AWESOME, Aleck! I’m going to check those right now.
    On another note, I’ve been informed that the lead singer from “The Scorpions” was named Mathias Rust?!
    Auuggghhhh!!!! Not ANOTHER musician in the family?!?!?!

——————

Anonymous

Well, well, the boy’s got some interesting tastes in music. I like a lot of Massive Attack’s sounds; they’ve got a good groove, almost soulful, as does Portishead. (Aleck! ‘Blue’s Lines’ is fantastic, dude!) Actually, I’m both impressed and surprised that MM would like ‘em, and Bill Frisell? I dunno, MM has always seemed to be a bit of a stiff. (HAH!!! Stiff! Ah, sorry, it begged to be said) But, baby girl, please, Bill Frisell makes perfect music for chillin’ (and, illin’). It’s Jazz, tho’ not in the traditional sense of the word, although it is, kinda. Oh, that was a most helpful description, was it not? Rust, I don’t think you’re gonna find Winterreise on a site like Napster (does it also have classical music?). Maybe a site such as CdNow or Amazon. My favorite classical site, UniversalClassics.com/usa, would have to have Winterreise. MM plays the piano, right? And he does have a lovely deep voice; no wonder he likes this one. Pity he’s “homeless,” no place to keep a music collection, ‘cept in his noggin. Bill Frisell; color me intrigued.

——————
    There is no character, howsoever good and fine, but it can be destroyed by ridicule, howsoever poor and witless. Observe the ass, for instance: his character is about perfect, he is the choicest spirit among all the humbler animals, yet see what ridicule has brought him to. Instead of feeling
    complimented when we are called an ass, we are left in doubt. (Twain)

Anonymous

Well, well, the boy’s got some interesting tastes in music. I like a lot of Massive Attack’s sounds; they’ve got a good groove, almost soulful, as does Portishead. (Aleck! ‘Blue’s Lines’ is fantastic, dude!) Actually, I’m both impressed and surprised that MM would like ‘em, and Bill Frisell? I dunno, MM has always seemed to be a bit of a stiff. (HAH!!! Stiff! Ah, sorry, it begged to be said) But, baby girl, please, Bill Frisell makes perfect music for chillin’ (and, illin’). It’s Jazz, tho’ not in the traditional sense of the word, although it is, kinda. Oh, that was a most helpful description, was it not? Rust, I don’t think you’re gonna find Winterreise on a site like Napster (does it also have classical music?). Maybe a site such as CdNow or Amazon. My favorite classical site, UniversalClassics.com/usa, would have to have Winterreise. MM plays the piano, right? And he does have a lovely deep voice; no wonder he likes this one. Pity he’s “homeless,” no place to keep a music collection, ‘cept in his noggin. Bill Frisell; color me intrigued.

——————
    There is no character, howsoever good and fine, but it can be destroyed by ridicule, howsoever poor and witless. Observe the ass, for instance: his character is about perfect, he is the choicest spirit among all the humbler animals, yet see what ridicule has brought him to. Instead of feeling
    complimented when we are called an ass, we are left in doubt. (Twain)

Anonymous

Okay, I’ve sampled Massive Attack and Portishead.
    Interestingly enough, I find that this reminds me of easy-listening music.
    I’ve actually heard “Glory Box” before, can’t tell you where, cause I don’t remember.

All in all, I remember this kind of music’s debut on Twin Peaks (at least it was a debut in my eyes having never heard this stuff before.)

My reaction so far is this stuff would make wonderful love-making music. I don’t think I’d choose it for much more; color me boring. Well, off to discover the rest of this stuff.
    *Ever notice it takes a darn lot of time to get the real feel of a group? Golly, this could take all night!*
    *Rustam slinks off into the gutter because ..well…she’d better not say what she’s really thinking..no…better not..

——————

Anonymous

I’ve actually heard “Glory Box” before, can’t tell you where, cause I don’t remember.

All in all, I remember this kind of music’s debut on Twin Peaks (at least it was a debut in my eyes having never heard this stuff before.)

My reaction so far is this stuff would make wonderful love-making music. I don’t think I’d choose it for much more; color me boring. Well, off to discover the rest of this stuff.
    *Ever notice it takes a darn lot of time to get the real feel of a group? Golly, this could take all night!*
    *Rustam slinks off into the gutter because ..well…she’d better not say what she’s really thinking..no…better not..

——————

Anonymous

HEY! Now, get this, I got the Schubert off Napster! Amazing.
    Now, this stuff, I might understand…nice piano, great German stuff. But wait, this still leaves me in the dark.
    *Well, no closer to MM’s musical mentality, Rustam looks depressed and decides to download Wendy Carlos’s Ode to Joy from Clockwork Orange to cheer her up in a semi German way*

——————

Anonymous

HEY! Now, get this, I got the Schubert off Napster! Amazing.
    Now, this stuff, I might understand…nice piano, great German stuff. But wait, this still leaves me in the dark.
    *Well, no closer to MM’s musical mentality, Rustam looks depressed and decides to download Wendy Carlos’s Ode to Joy from Clockwork Orange to cheer her up in a semi German way*

——————

Anonymous

quote:

Okay, I can see Portishead filed under easy listening, but Massive Attack? They’re just too dark a band to go there. Maybe “uneasy listening?”

Oh, it’s been used in just about everything. Movies, TV…For a while there, it was impossible to get away from.

Yeah, there is a definite Angelo Badalamenti influence there, but I’ve always heard more Ennio Morricone, especially the film scores he did in the late ’60s. Even the “Spaghetti Western” stuff. But that’s just me.

Oh, I can see it as good for that. But for me, it’s also good driving-around-late-at-night music and good…umm…partaking-in-illicit-substances music.
    I’m curious to see what you make of Tricky now that you’ve heard this. In my eyes, Tricky’s music is damn near claustrophobia-inducing. Very strange.

–Aleck

Anonymous

quote:

Okay, I can see Portishead filed under easy listening, but Massive Attack? They’re just too dark a band to go there. Maybe “uneasy listening?”

Oh, it’s been used in just about everything. Movies, TV…For a while there, it was impossible to get away from.

Yeah, there is a definite Angelo Badalamenti influence there, but I’ve always heard more Ennio Morricone, especially the film scores he did in the late ’60s. Even the “Spaghetti Western” stuff. But that’s just me.

Oh, I can see it as good for that. But for me, it’s also good driving-around-late-at-night music and good…umm…partaking-in-illicit-substances music.
    I’m curious to see what you make of Tricky now that you’ve heard this. In my eyes, Tricky’s music is damn near claustrophobia-inducing. Very strange.

–Aleck

Anonymous

Nah, Aleck!
    You didn’t know, but I come trained from the “Gentle Giant” (look THAT one up on your Napster) school of thought. If the harmonies aren’t slightly off by a tone, (just to make your ears prick up) then it’s not strange enough! I think “King Crimson” also molded my listening tastes…
    I’ll report on Tricky tonight.. must..sleep..agh, to the cryochamber with me!

——————

Anonymous

Nah, Aleck!
    You didn’t know, but I come trained from the “Gentle Giant” (look THAT one up on your Napster) school of thought. If the harmonies aren’t slightly off by a tone, (just to make your ears prick up) then it’s not strange enough! I think “King Crimson” also molded my listening tastes…

——————

Anonymous

quote:

Nah, Aleck!

I know of Gentle Giant. Haven’t heard ’em in a while, but of them I am aware. And King Crimson… The inimitable Fripp! “21st Century Schizoid Man!” “In the Hall of the Crimson King!” The band that inflicted Greg Lake on the world before ELP! Oh, yes. These guys I know as well. Granted, I don’t think Tricky is as odd as some of the music I listen to (you did say, though, that MM’s musical taste was “REALLY out there,” so I was going on the notion that you thought these were fairly strange groups), but I think he might be strange to some sets of ears. At least MM didn’t say he was into John Zorn or Lou Reed’s “Metal Machine Music,” or there would be some curious Lexxians with bleeding eardrums right about now.

–Aleck

Anonymous

quote:

Nah, Aleck!

I know of Gentle Giant. Haven’t heard ’em in a while, but of them I am aware. And King Crimson… The inimitable Fripp! “21st Century Schizoid Man!” “In the Hall of the Crimson King!” The band that inflicted Greg Lake on the world before ELP! Oh, yes. These guys I know as well. Granted, I don’t think Tricky is as odd as some of the music I listen to (you did say, though, that MM’s musical taste was “REALLY out there,” so I was going on the notion that you thought these were fairly strange groups), but I think he might be strange to some sets of ears. At least MM didn’t say he was into John Zorn or Lou Reed’s “Metal Machine Music,” or there would be some curious Lexxians with bleeding eardrums right about now.

–Aleck

Anonymous

Hey Aleck!

hehehe… okies, it seems we have many a musical interest in common. So, am recommending that you listen to Big Sonic Heaven, it’s a radio program on Sunday nights from ten pm to two am eastern out of Detroit. You can get audio streaming from the website, http://www.planet963.com

They play a lot of the music you’ve mentioned/MM seems to like. Then again, it depends on what the DJ is in the mood for because he’ll play a lot of the Cure, Jeff Buckley, Sisters of Mercy, Switchblade Symphony, Dead Can Dance, Cocteau Twins… all of which I personally love but that a lot of people find themselves going “huh? I don’t get it” after listening to.

But hey, if you’re interested, it’s a pretty cool show, almost all music, very little talk and commercials. Which I love.

I think the first time I ever heard Tricky was when watching Strange Days. Massive Attack I first heard on BSH, along with most of the others mentioned… I still get all weak in the knees when hearing Tear Drop.

ok, that’s enough from me!

——————
    I’d like to change
    your mind by hitting it
    with a rock – They Might
    Be Giants

Anonymous

Hey Aleck!

hehehe… okies, it seems we have many a musical interest in common. So, am recommending that you listen to Big Sonic Heaven, it’s a radio program on Sunday nights from ten pm to two am eastern out of Detroit. You can get audio streaming from the website, http://www.planet963.com

They play a lot of the music you’ve mentioned/MM seems to like. Then again, it depends on what the DJ is in the mood for because he’ll play a lot of the Cure, Jeff Buckley, Sisters of Mercy, Switchblade Symphony, Dead Can Dance, Cocteau Twins… all of which I personally love but that a lot of people find themselves going “huh? I don’t get it” after listening to.

But hey, if you’re interested, it’s a pretty cool show, almost all music, very little talk and commercials. Which I love.

I think the first time I ever heard Tricky was when watching Strange Days. Massive Attack I first heard on BSH, along with most of the others mentioned… I still get all weak in the knees when hearing Tear Drop.

ok, that’s enough from me!

——————
    I’d like to change
    your mind by hitting it
    with a rock – They Might
    Be Giants

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by elfkin:
    Hey Aleck!

hehehe… okies, it seems we have many a musical interest in common. So, am recommending that you listen to Big Sonic Heaven (snip!)Then again, it depends on what the DJ is in the mood for because he’ll play a lot of the Cure, Jeff Buckley, Sisters of Mercy, Switchblade Symphony, Dead Can Dance, Cocteau Twins… all of which I personally love but that a lot of people find themselves going “huh? I don’t get it” after listening to.[/B]

Thanks elfkin!!!!
    I’ll check it out tonight! I’m into everything you’ve mentioned. Well, except for Cocteau Twins, which admittedly I havent’ listened to in a LOOOOONG time, and my opinion on them may have changed. Odd, since Teardrop is my 2nd fave track off “Mezzanine,” next to “Angel.”
    Thank you again!!!!

–Aleck

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by elfkin:
    Hey Aleck!

hehehe… okies, it seems we have many a musical interest in common. So, am recommending that you listen to Big Sonic Heaven (snip!)Then again, it depends on what the DJ is in the mood for because he’ll play a lot of the Cure, Jeff Buckley, Sisters of Mercy, Switchblade Symphony, Dead Can Dance, Cocteau Twins… all of which I personally love but that a lot of people find themselves going “huh? I don’t get it” after listening to.[/B]

Thanks elfkin!!!!
    I’ll check it out tonight! I’m into everything you’ve mentioned. Well, except for Cocteau Twins, which admittedly I havent’ listened to in a LOOOOONG time, and my opinion on them may have changed. Odd, since Teardrop is my 2nd fave track off “Mezzanine,” next to “Angel.”
    Thank you again!!!!

–Aleck

Anonymous

Ty, elfkin, I’ll check that out too!
    Aleck..mannn…when I say that’s sumthin’s out there, man, I reaaaaly mean out there…. (in flower child terms it meant disconnected from rational thought, as is tripping your brains off till they fried and someone mistook them for shrooms and ate them by accident!) Uh..sorry. (flashbacks)
    Hey, Tricky was a bit more my speed! Now this, I might listen to.

——————

Anonymous

Ty, elfkin, I’ll check that out too!
    Aleck..mannn…when I say that’s sumthin’s out there, man, I reaaaaly mean out there…. (in flower child terms it meant disconnected from rational thought, as is tripping your brains off till they fried and someone mistook them for shrooms and ate them by accident!) Uh..sorry. (flashbacks)

——————

Anonymous

quote:

No need to apologize there, Rust. Been down that path meself. I spend tons of time disconnected from rational thought, even when the well’s run dry, so to speak. So I know that place well enough.

quote:

Tricky’s stuff is probably among my favorite works in this sub-genre. Especially the couple albums I mentioned earlier. He’s had a number of subsequent releases, but none have come close to those two. Of his later stuff, the album “Angels With Dirty Faces” is probably the best.

–Aleck

Anonymous

quote:

No need to apologize there, Rust. Been down that path meself. I spend tons of time disconnected from rational thought, even when the well’s run dry, so to speak. So I know that place well enough.

quote:

Tricky’s stuff is probably among my favorite works in this sub-genre. Especially the couple albums I mentioned earlier. He’s had a number of subsequent releases, but none have come close to those two. Of his later stuff, the album “Angels With Dirty Faces” is probably the best.

–Aleck

Anonymous

For anyone who’s interested, I saw this whilst reading the Village Voice, NYC:

Ron Carter/Bill Frisell Duo
    Plus the Debut of The BillFrisell Quartet,
    Tuesday, MArch 20th thru Sunday, MArch 25th, at 9pm and 11:30pm,
    at Blue Note, in the heart of NYC’s Greenwich Village.
    If you need directions, email me and I’ll get them to you.

——————

Anonymous

For anyone who’s interested, I saw this whilst reading the Village Voice, NYC:

Ron Carter/Bill Frisell Duo
    Plus the Debut of The BillFrisell Quartet,
    Tuesday, MArch 20th thru Sunday, MArch 25th, at 9pm and 11:30pm,
    at Blue Note, in the heart of NYC’s Greenwich Village.
    If you need directions, email me and I’ll get them to you.

——————

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.