District 9

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    londondyke
    Participant

I saw this film last week. Although there were some things I didn’t like about it,  on balance I thought it was a good film. The aliens were absolutely amazing, I don’t know if they were CGI or actors in suits or what but they looked very convincing.

The main  human character Vikus (I would not call him a hero) was not a totally likeable character, a bit racist  at the beginning, but circumstances forced him to change (haha in more ways than one!!) I am not sure totally what the message of the film was. Maybe just don’t treat a life form like shit just because you can, you don’t know when they might get their  own back. Or that no matter how different we are, underneath we are all similar and can work together when our interests coincide. Or yet another  message might be never trust the government.

The things I didn’t like about the film were the shakey documentary camera style  at the beginning, but I can understand why that ws done that way. The other thing I didn’t like was it degenerated into too much gun play  and weaponry. Just my opinion, I am not into guns much. However those alien guns were pretty exciting I must admit. 

londondyke
    Participant

Sorry forgot to ask has anyone else seen this film?

SadGeezer
    Keymaster

Yes, i saw it, I thought it was great!

Some of the things I really liked were at the beginning when they seemed to be going for an apartied slant that to be honest, seemed a bit too cliche.  Then it just turned into a rip-roaring sci fi film.  A lot different from the usual comic-holiwood stuff and really entertaining.

londondyke
    Participant

Hi Sadgeezer thanks for replying.

Yes I know what you mean about the apartheid thing. I did that at school but I was too young to know about it when it was actually  happening, so the reference  was a bit lost on me. I think the thing that frightened me was  how nobody cared about Vikus as an individual (except his wife) and how people will just believe whatever they are told if it is made official.

By the way my girlfriend has since seen the film and did not like it. She  thought too many things were left unanswered, like what the aliens were going to do when they came back in 3 years.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.