Disturbing Trend with Season 4

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums Cult Sci Fi Series Lexx Disturbing Trend with Season 4

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    SadGeezer
    Keymaster

Ive been looking through Lexx Newsgroups and Chatrooms and Im noticing a general opinion that a lot of Lexx fans dont like Season 4. A lot of comments go along the lines of “I thought Season 3 was bad but Season 4 is just crap”. Do you think Season 4 has strayed too far away from the original concept and style of Lexx and is less sci-fi and more sci-farce?

Personally I think S4 is great. You get the odd duff episode, but thats Lexx. Hopefully the rest of the Season will build into something special that we leave us wanting more.

What you think? Is S4 the worst Season? Has it all gone wrong and is falling apart around our ears? Or is it the best and most challenging and different thing on TV at the moment?

Anonymous

I think with S4, they’ve gone more back to what the series was in S2, with the crazy humor and the ‘they did WHAT?’ attitude. There’s more of an overall story arc in S4 than was in S2, which I like.

I think S4 is great. They have taken some risks, and pushed the envelope without a doubt, but hey! That’s what makes Lexx the best damn scifi show on TV! Make that the best show…period!

I think this season is building to a major climax, and is going to knock our socks off at the end.

Anonymous

AKA Hypatia at different computer.

I agree with Doffy, S4 is more like S2, which I like, S2 was great!

Knock our socks off? Oh yeah! I think it will, Vlad did already, P4X was utterly hilarious and it had that cute guy from Red Dwarf (Lister?), well, all of them were really good. Just wish I could watch Vlad again.

Anonymous

I’ve been wondering about this myself. I’m not sure what to think.

I’ve heard people say that season two sucked in comparison to the movies. But season two sported episodes like Brigadoom, Lyekka, Mantrid, Norb, Wake the Dead and Twilight. On the downside, it had things like Luvliner and Love Grows.

Third season is generally regarded as fairly weak. But I think Fire and Water, Girltown, Gondola, Tunnels and K-Town stand up quite well. Garden and Beach reaked, all right.

This season is far from over, but think about
    episodes like the Rock, Vlad, Magic Baby,
    Xevivor, Stan Down. They’re different, definitely, but they stand up against
    previous seasons. On the other hand, A Midsummers Nightmare has got to be the bottom of any list.

In short, LEXX takes chances, sometimes it
    succeeds, occasionally it fails spectacularly. It comes with the territory, I’d rather see them do it this way than simply do the same thing every week.

I know one of the problems of season three was the continuing story, and that shows up here. Too often in season three and in this season, there’s little sense of progress or
    closure, rather, our crew seems to be trapped like little hamsters in a wheel, endlessly spinning but getting nowhere. They have
    an intergalactic ship, but aren’t actually
    going anywhere except back and forth to Earth. It gets tedious.

On the other hand, this season has more weaving plot lines, 790’s machinations, Prince’s agenda, Priest his possibly treacherous underling, Vlad, the Bad Carrots,
    Dr. Longbore, etc. which offer more ongoing
    story complexity. I think its working better
    this way than with the single line of season three. That said, its not going perfectly, the Rock had almost no plot, while Fluff Daddy had enough plot for three episodes.
    They’ve definitely got problems with pacing
    once in a while.

Overall, I think that what I’m seeing is interesting and entertaining enough to keep me going back. But the Beans have set a huge task for themselves. They’re going into
    a series of season long storylines, and they’ve got to come up with a conclusion that
    is going to wrap it all up neatly and knock us all on our tails.

I dunno if they can pull it off. The wrap up for the first season was spectacular on every level. The second season conclusion was conceptually staggering if a little visually
    lacking.

The third season conclusion worked and didn’t work. The concept of destroying heaven and hell was impressive, but really it felt like it was tacked on and not an integral resolution flowing naturally out of the story.

So, fourth season is make or break. Michael McManus who in interviews before the third season came out was acknowedging the scripts were kind of crap, seems to be pretty thrilled with how this season ends. Everyone
    on the cast and crew seem enthusiastic. Maybe they know something we don’t.

Oh well, just my thoughts…

Anonymous

Yikes! Sorry about the double post…

Headgehog
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by D.G. Valdron:
    Yikes! Sorry about the double post…

Valdron, to get rid of one of the posts, choose one of the posts, click on the paper/pencil icon for that post. This is the edit/delete function. It will take you to another page, where there will be an option to delete that post. Choose it to delete that post.

dgrequeen
    Participant

I’m enjoying Season Four myself. Come on, folks, scifi doesn’t have to be all space opera to be scifi. Lexx is the most different scifi on TV, and frankly, it’s a welcome relief from all the space chase and shootemup, square jawed hero stuff.

Some episodes work and some don’t — what television show that ever existed didn’t have some weak episodes? Sometimes the writing is bad, sometimes it’s inspired. There’s just no such thing as perfection.

DalekTek790
    Participant

Season 4 isn’t that great but it’s a lot better than season 3. The first two seasons were serious, 3 sort of, but now season 4 is often silly and campy. Lexx is losing the sober dignity it once possessed.

Anonymous

You know I’m not one those season 1,2,3 or 4 haters. But like most people there are good and bad things to all these seasons. Over all I loved all of them and continue to. I now watch the movies with a sense of nostalgia because I see how the show has evolved from beginning to what ever end awaits it. So next time before you say “season three sucked” try thinking about everything that came before it or with any season for that matter. Because each episode add’s to the over all tapestry of the sick and twisted fabric that is Lexx.

-SM

Anonymous

Got to agree with DT, Lexx had the right balance in S1 and S2, then went into a kinda campy seriousness for S3, and S4 is just looking to be one long humourous season.
    Personally, the thing that keeps me enthralled with Lexx is the dark stuff, the talk of the divine order and how it may have come about, the theories we have all spun.
    Vlad is the ep I’m most looking forward to seeing, combining the stuff of the Divine Order and Vlad and Kai having a go!!!
    For instance, my brother (not a huge Lexx fan) was glued to the set for all the eps up until Xevivor, then turned and said that this is why he didn’t like Lexx, and the only good bit was Kai getting interested in Transylvania…and sadly I had to agree.
    For me Lexx had a chance to explore it’s rich history this season, and the beans seem more intent on making Lexx funny than giving us theorists something to chew on.
    If S4 had been presented in the same way as S1 and S2, then I’m sure that everyone would be happy, as both those seasons had the right balance.
    But, aside from Xevivor, I’ve been finding S4 pretty good, but really hope that the Divine influence plays a more prominent part in the upcoming episodes, mainly because it always reminds of how great the Star Wars trilogy panned out.
    Lexx has got a lot questions that need answering, and I pray that as each ep passes, we are given little snipppets as to what may possibly happen, and will it involve the Divine Order, so come on you beans…balance it out a bit.
    Squishy

Anonymous

Backstory on the Divine Order? Or on the Insect Wars? I suspect that ship has sailed a couple of seasons back. I think the reason they had the crew in suspended animation for four thousand years was to thoroughly distance themselves from and repudiate any series continuity, Vlad notwithstanding.

Frankly, if we’re going to come to any overarching meaning or insight, my best guess
    is some explanation for the ‘beings from outside space and time’ who appear as the Players from Brigadoom, the Blue Star from Supernova, the Time Prophet seen or referred to in IWHS, SN, GS, Brigadoom and Vlad. For my money, they’re also my best candidates for responsibility for the whole Fire and Water system.

My take on it is that the beings from outside space and time have been subtly and not so subtly manipulating the LEXX crew towards some as yet unknown end. Possibly their principal role was midwifing the death/ rebirth of the Light Universe. I suspect, however, that there may be more to come.

But the Divine Order? That’s sooooo over.

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by Valdron:
    My take on it is that the beings from outside space and time have been subtly and not so subtly manipulating the LEXX crew towards some as yet unknown end. Possibly their principal role was midwifing the death/ rebirth of the Light Universe. I suspect, however, that there may be more to come.

Hmmm, now there’s an interesting thought! I figured that the crew would have some sort of role in the rebirth of the Light Universe, but I hadn’t ever really thought about the ‘beings from beyond space and time’ being involved. That’s so true though…they were in Brigadoom, and the Time Prophet and the Blue Star never had their origins explained at all.

Of course, Lexx leaves a lot of loose threads hanging around.

FX
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Doffy:

Time Prophet and the Blue Star never had their origins explained at all.

Of course, Lexx leaves a lot of loose threads hanging around.

from the halifax diaries/frey’s interview with paul donovan;
    What was the deal with the two talking stars on Brunnis in Supernova?

Paul Donovan: That was just stuck in there for fun, why shouldn’t stuff be fun?[/i]

or, paraphrasing freud, ‘sometimes a cigar is just a cigar’…but it does leave more room for theorizing

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by :
    Backstory on the Divine Order? Or on the Insect Wars? I suspect that ship has sailed a couple of seasons back. I think the reason they had the crew in suspended animation for four thousand years was to thoroughly distance themselves from and repudiate any series continuity, Vlad notwithstanding.

Frankly, if we’re going to come to any overarching meaning or insight, my best guess
    is some explanation for the ‘beings from outside space and time’ who appear as the Players from Brigadoom, the Blue Star from Supernova, the Time Prophet seen or referred to in IWHS, SN, GS, Brigadoom and Vlad. For my money, they’re also my best candidates for responsibility for the whole Fire and Water system.

But the Divine Order? That’s sooooo over.

Interesting theory Valdron, but I’m not entirely convinced that we’ve seen the last of the Divine Order.
    The reason being is that I have a sneaky feeling that we will find out that the Lexx crew have travelled into the next cycle of time and are partly responsible for effecting the emergence of things to come, i.e the Divine Order and eveything that will happen in IWHS.
    This comes from the recent chat with Paul D and Lex G, I asked the question on whether Lexx would be going full circle, they replied they were big on full circle. But then you know the beans, they are never going to tell what you what to know, only what you want to hear!!!
    So I’m still gonna stick with ol’ time beginning again routine, but that’s just me.
    Squishy

dgrequeen
    Participant

In the latest Cult Times, Michael McManus has repeated what he’s said before in interviews, that the ending of Lexx will bring the story full circle, and that everything will make sense looking backwards.

Whether or not this explains or examines the Divine Order remains to be seen. But it’s entirely possible that we’ll get an explanation for the mystery of the Time Prophet. I for one would like to see that.

dgrequeen
    Participant

This is a bit off-topic, but DalekTek, I’m also getting the flood control message when I try to post from my work computer (I know, I know, so spank me). I work at a university, and I see that you are at college. Is Sadboard no longer accepting posts from college domains?

Headgehog
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by dgrequeen:
    This is a bit off-topic, but DalekTek, I’m also getting the flood control message when I try to post from my work computer (I know, I know, so spank me). I work at a university, and I see that you are at college. Is Sadboard no longer accepting posts from college domains?

I’m still at school. Or at least for another 14 hours, and I don’t have any trouble. Flood control happens when you try to post too many things in a short period of time. Unless your a mod/admin this time is 2 min or 120 sec, which ever comes first. I belive its there to keep people from spamming the board. Otherwise some troll could come here and make nice patterns on the topic posts list. i.e.

**** <- Post 1
    *** <- Post 2
    ** <- Post 3
    * <- Post 4

sound familiar? Of course there may be a technical reason, but I since mods/admin don't have flood control times, I doubt it.

Headgehog
    Participant

OK I got. Since you posted -9 years ago or 9 years in the future, gimmie a break I’m saving my last brain cell for my statics final, the board thinks you’ve already posted (from your current ip) recently. Because the time since your ip’s last post was <=250 seconds. Granted it negative seconds, but the programmer jsut assumed time travel won't happen. To post under from an ip, that posted in 2010, delete all your post from 2010. We tried to correct this by deleting all the 2010 posts and repsoting them, under our name though, but obviously a few were missed. I'd fix it here, but can only mess with the SG1 forum. Sorry and happy hunting for all your posts.

BTW DT, “My god, Its full of stars” is this year. I think Novemebr of this year. 2010 is “All these worlds are yours, except Europa. Attempt no landing there”

DalekTek790
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Headgehog:
    OK I got. Since you posted -9 years ago or 9 years in the future, gimmie a break I’m saving my last brain cell for my statics final, the board thinks you’ve already posted (from your current ip) recently. Because the time since your ip’s last post was <=250 seconds. Granted it negative seconds, but the programmer jsut assumed time travel won't happen. To post under from an ip, that posted in 2010, delete all your post from 2010. We tried to correct this by deleting all the 2010 posts and repsoting them, under our name though, but obviously a few were missed. I'd fix it here, but can only mess with the SG1 forum. Sorry and happy hunting for all your posts.

BTW DT, "My god, Its full of stars" is this year. I think Novemebr of this year. 2010 is "All these worlds are yours, except Europa. Attempt no landing there"

Thanks for the tip. After over 80 hours I am able to post again, and I have a Lexx dream and a psychological profile and a top ten list waiting to be posted, lucky you.

The reason that was in red was so it wouldn’t be overlooked. I was desperate and behaving erratically.

That’s right, Dave said “My God! It’s full of stars…” at the end of 2001: A Space Odyssey, and was in the reprise for 2010: The Year We Made Contact. Actually, I think the beginning of 2001 with Dr. Floyd (was that the name?) was way back in 1999.

Here’s the post I had to delete-

quote:

Originally posted by DalekTek790:
    The first two seasons of Lexx were mainly serious sci-fi. Sure there was some comic relief, and quite a bit of subtle satire, but it was no less serious then, say, Doctor Who. The third season had a few good episodes but most were either too dark or too silly. Now with season four it looks like they’ve gone off the deep end. Humor permeates it, and a lot of it is pretty crude (Stan Down, ’nuff said). The show’s serious edge is getting dull.

Xevivor was okay, but I was expecting more from Jeffrey Hirschfield. It was a good premise (Lafftrak-esque commentary on where entertainment is going) but it wasn’t played out as well as it could have been.

[ 14-12-2001: Message edited by: DalekTek790 ]

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.