Double Bills du Jour

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums Other Forums The Pub Double Bills du Jour

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I used to love to watch the double bills at a local repertory cinema. Spurred on by a craving last night to viddy Phantom of the Paradise teamed up with The Rocky Horror Picture Show[/url], what would be some entertaining/interesting/enlightening/whatever movie double bills?

Anonymous

Army of Darkness + MST3k ๐Ÿ˜ˆ

Sidhecafe
    Participant

Just for vampire kicks:

Bram Stoker’s Dracula & Near Dark

or

Logan’s Run & Blade Runner

Sidhecafe
    Participant

Or for the marathon movie experience โ—

Lord of the Rings Trilogy & Star Wars 1-6 (when it’s all out)

other suggestions:

Wizards & Time Bandits

The Fifth Element & Brazil

Prospero’s Book & Heavenly Creatures

Chronicles of Riddick & Starship Troopers

( ๐Ÿ˜ณ apologies for double dipping)

Anonymous
    Inactive

LexxLurker: loved MST3K, but then I have a thing for bad films, as well as great ones… It’s the mediocre, common ones in between that usually leave me unexcited.

Sidhecafe: you’ve listed many of my favourite films. ๐Ÿ™‚

And double dipping is most appropriate considering this is a double bills thread. ๐Ÿ˜€ As we say in Canada, when ordering coffee, make it a double-double.

In vampire flicks I’d probably choose The Hunger with The Vampire’s Kiss.

Here are way too many more, and there is not much rhyme or reason to the way I’ve doubled many of them (though some have things in common), nor any particular order to it. Had to stop myself before eclectic me listed all the films I love (which must number over a thousand)… Now I’d love to do a favourite directors thread.

Titus with Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
    Das Boot and The Tin Drum
    The Wicker Man and The Omega Man
    An Angel At My Table and Heavenly Creatures
    Wings of Desire and La Dolce Vita
    Farewell my Concubine and The Blue Kite
    Ju Dou and Irma Vep
    Brazil and Fahrenheit 451
    Three Colours: Blue with Olivier, Olivier
    Baxter with Maelstrom
    Platoon with Apocalypse Now
    The Life of Brian with After Life
    Black Rain (Imamura) with When the Wind Blows
    The Seventh Seal and 8 1/2
    Barbarella and Sleeper
    Gummo with A Zed and Two Naughts
    Do-Des-Ka-Den with Central Station
    Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence with Lawrence of Arabia
    Jamon, Jamon with All About My Mother
    Cat People (remake) with The Fly (remake)
    Harold and Maude with The Graduate
    Midnight Express with Midnight Cowboy
    Tampopo with Eat Drink Man Woman
    Brazil with Twelve Monkeys
    Red Sorghum with Life is Beautiful
    Highway 61 with The Road Warrior
    Gallipoli with Lair of the White Worm
    Bliss with Happiness
    The Red Violin with Jackie Brown
    The Sweet Hereafter with The Adjuster
    Last Night with Night on Earth
    Pulp Fiction with The Big Lebowski
    Logan’s Run with Silent Running
    A Clockwork Orange with O Lucky Man
    Soylent Green and Planet of the Apes
    Plague Dogs and Dog Day Afternoon
    Braking the Waves and Dancer in the Dark
    Possible Worlds with Dark City
    Drowning by Numbers with Element of Crime
    Alphaville and 2001
    Din Kza Kza and Stalker
    Labyrinthe and Time Bandits
    The Meaning of Life and Z
    The Mission with The Bounty
    Videodrome and Scanners
    The Player with Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
    Dead Ringers with any Olsen Twins Movie (lol)
    Balde Runner with THX-1138
    Excalibur and Monty Python and the Holy Grail
    Amadeus and Spinal Tap… etc… etc.. etc..

Sidhecafe
    Participant

๐Ÿ˜† LOL ๐Ÿ˜†

Holy Cow Logan!!!!…and I thought I was being listy!!!

Great movies in there & alot I haven’t seen. Neato!

Thanks again that made me laugh!!!…..damn long list….

Anonymous
    Inactive

LOL — ‘Tis certainly better to be listy than listless, IMHO. ๐Ÿ™‚ My tedious enthusiasm knows no bounds, or actually, in a way it does. I moderated my extreme excessiveness by excising the bottom 9/10ths of the list before submitting it. ๐Ÿ˜ฏ

Here’s my double-bill for today: Quills and The Devils.

Sidhecafe
    Participant

Here’s my double-bill for today: Quills and The Devils.

The Devils was a HAUNTING movie….what they do to that nun to exorcise her…. ๐Ÿ˜ฏ

(I loved Quills….ever see that movie about Sade in prison(same story) with the puppets ๐Ÿ˜ˆ ? – can’t remember the name.)

Ok my double bill for today – staving off listlessness ๐Ÿ˜‰ :

Meet the Feebles & Muppets in Space

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Sidhecafe wrote:

…(I loved Quills….ever see that movie about Sade in prison(same story) with the puppets ๐Ÿ˜ˆ ? – can’t remember the name.)

Ok my double bill for today – staving off listlessness ๐Ÿ˜‰

Meet the Feebles & Muppets in Space

I googled, it’s called Marquis. Haven’t seen it yet, but have read about it before. By the way, on the first Marquis link I clicked on, they cross-referenced Quills with Meet the Feebles — not terribly surprisingly.

”[url=http://www.moria.co.nz/fantasy/marquis.htm wrote:

moria.co.nz[/url]“] Marquis could be described as a crossbreed between Quills and Meet the Feebles.

lizard
    Participant

Here’s a suggestion, a habit in my family. A double feature of new vs old versions of films.

The Fly with Vincent Price / The Fly by Cronenburg

Cat People (in black and white)/ Cat people with Natasha Kinski

and since we are on the Kinski’s
    Nosferatu (silent) / Nosferatu (Claus K.)

Solaris / Solaris might be interesting but I have not yet tried it.

Sidhecafe
    Participant

Solaris / Solaris might be interesting but I have not yet tried it.

I loved the Russian Solaris!!! So I tried watching the remake and I couldn’t do it….I had to shut it off I was so disappointed with the gross reworking of the female character….took away her poeticness.

I googled, it’s called Marquis. Haven’t seen it yet, but have read about it before. By the way, on the first Marquis link I clicked on, they cross-referenced Quills with Meet the Feebles — not terribly surprisingly.

Marquis! Yes that’s it….it was great…twisted but great. Found it randomly years ago with my ex-fiance in a video store.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Lizard, good thinking. I’ve also enjoyed the odd original/remake double-bill evenings at home. Much as I generally dislike remakes (unless, perhaps, it’s extremely reimagined), or the idea of remakes, I truly enjoyed all the remakes you listed other than the new Solaris one which I can’t bring myself to rent. Another sci-fi remake I loved was Invasion of the Body Snatchers with Donald Sutherland.

Like Sidhecafe, I loved Tarkovsky’s Solaris (I also love his Stalker). I look at it as a true masterpiece, and while I thoroughly enjoy many SF films, there are very few sci-fiish[ films that achieve, as I see it, such lyrical perfection. Imagine the horror of a 2001: A Space Odyssey film remake (of course it’s 2004 now, so they’d probably want to retitle it even if they did).

Another remake I’m loathe to see is Shall We Dance? I absolutely loved the Japanese one (though those who haven’t spent time In Japan will probably miss a lot of the cultural text/subtext). And Stepford Wives, and…

Sidhecafe
    Participant

Double Bill du jour:

Priscilla, Queen of the Desert & Muriel’s Wedding

(The ever so elusive Abba theme! ๐Ÿ˜‰ )

Hugo Weaving is fantastic in Priscilla….really shows his versitility after having watched him go from Agent Smith to Elrond. Elrond seemed to me as showing a little Smith here and there…but Mitzy was a great role for him – of course that was before The Matrix and LOTR. The dress made of flip-flops was the best.

Anonymous
    Inactive

What a great double bill! Both very fine movies. The interesting thing is, my wife is big on ABBA, and I asked her the other night about an Aussie double bill which includes Muriel’s Wedding and features the music of ABBA — I remembered the AUstralian production, ABBA The Movie, then she reminded me of Priscilla. Hey Aussies love ABBA (or they did).

The song I think of mostly though when I think of Priscilla: Queen of the Desert is “I’ve been to paradise, but I’ve never been to me” which gets me thinking about the Poe poem “To One in Paradise” which gets me thinking about Phantom of the Paradise, which brings my thoughts to another rock musical on screen, The Rocky Horror Picture Show, which gets me thinking about men in drag, which brings me back to Priscilla… Oh what a vicious convoluted circular web my mind wroughts (more like my mind rots).

Prisicilla: Queen of the Desert would also make an interesting double-bill with Mad Max 2 (aka The Road Warrior), Barbarella: Queen of the Galaxy (to which the Queen of the Desert title alludes to I guess), or with Hedwig and the Angry Inch (haven’t seen Hedwig).

Sidhecafe
    Participant

Guy Pierce really was fantastic as Felicia too!

However, Logan wrote:

The song I think of mostly though when I think of Priscilla: Queen of the Desert is “I’ve been to paradise, but I’ve never been to me” which gets me thinking about the Poe poem “To One in Paradise” which gets me thinking about Phantom of the Paradise, which brings my thoughts to another rock musical on screen, The Rocky Horror Picture Show, which gets me thinking about men in drag, which brings me back to Priscilla… Oh what a vicious convoluted circular web my mind wroughts (more like my mind rots).

To which Sidhecafe replies: Logan, you just kill me! ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜†

I watched Priscilla was on IFC the other night and I was so happy I got to see the whole thing in honor of the Miss International Queen Paegent earlier this month in Thailand, the first transvestite/transexual beauty competition!!!

Really these women were stunningly beautiful….they had pictures on the boston.com website. I think Miss India who was second place should have had it!

Now I think this kind of gender- transformation is very scifi/fact. Since the technology is there to change humans from one to the other. Which if you really think about it is amazingly futuristic and mind bending….like reading Stranger In a Strange Land for the first time.

I’m very happy I was born a woman – but if I was born a man I’d be a serious Queen! ๐Ÿ˜›

My next double bill would be:

Frankenstein (Kenneth Brannagh’s work out video version)

&

The Cell

Sidhecafe
    Participant

Guy Pierce really was fantastic as Felicia too!

However, Logan wrote:

To which Sidhecafe replies: Logan, you just kill me! ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜†

I watched Priscilla was on IFC the other night and I was so happy I got to see the whole thing in honor of the Miss International Queen Paegent earlier this month in Thailand, the first transvestite/transexual beauty competition!!!

Really these women were stunningly beautiful….they had pictures on the boston.com website. I think Miss India who was second place should have had it!

Now I think this kind of gender- transformation is very scifi/fact. Since the technology is there to change humans from one to the other. Which if you really think about it is amazingly futuristic and mind bending….like reading Stranger In a Strange Land for the first time.

I’m very happy I was born a woman – but if I was born a man I’d be a serious Queen! ๐Ÿ˜›

My next double bill would be:

Frankenstein (Kenneth Brannagh’s work out video version)

&

The Cell

lexxrobotech
    Participant

I can’t seem to get the Rocky Horror Picture Show song ‘science fiction double feature’ out of my mind… ๐Ÿ˜€

My 5 double features would be :

The Creature from Black Lagoon & The Mummy (The old Boris Karloff one)

The Ice Pirates & Spaceballs

Megazone 23 & Ghost in the Shell

Interstate 60 & Lost in Space

Willow & The neverending story

mysteriesofthesea
    Participant

“2001, a Space Odessy” ๐Ÿ˜ฏ ๐Ÿ™‚

….Followed by “A Clockwork Orange!!” ๐Ÿ˜ฏ ๐Ÿ˜ฏ ๐Ÿ˜ณ ๐Ÿ˜ˆ

……..Stanelle

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.