Effects of the end of season cliff-hanger (SPOILERS)

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums Cult Sci Fi Series Battlestar Galactica (Reimagined) Effects of the end of season cliff-hanger (SPOILERS)

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    aiddar
    Participant

Hi there. First time visitor here, and loved the site….

A couple of points that people might like to consider for the future series….

1) President Roslin is in jail, on suspicion of being some form of dictator (interestingly, in the American scheme of things, I seem to remeber the President is Commander in Chief of the armed forces, and *is* in the direct chain of command, thus *can* issue orders to individual soldiers…. thanks you B5 ;-)). Not sure what the formal charge would be, but in jail she is…

2) Commander Adama is (assuming he is alive) in sickbay recovering for a while.

3) The Vice President (Baltar) is trapped on the planet Kobol… In addition, someone he has cleared using his “Baltar-certified Nuclear Powered Cylon Detector ™” just shot the Commander, thus making the position of Baltar very precarious if he *were* on BG….

4) Lee Adama has just committed Mutiny (possibly though, it could be argued he was refusing to carry out an illegal order…), the penalty for which is normally death. Assuming that Tigh was on the Court of Enquiry (or Court Martial, if it went that far), things would look bad for the young Adama…

5) Starbuck has disobeyed a direct order, and “stolen” a Cylon fighter. Again, on return, she will be reporting to Tigh, not Adama, and Tigh really *really* does not like Starbuck..

All of this leads to the following scenario…..

6) All the forces of “moderation” (Roslin, Adama (both of them) and Starbuck) have been removed from power. The political leadership of the fleet has been removed, leaving a military guy in charge, who has *no* time for (or understanding of) civilians and whose wife is making cooey eyes at Zellec (spelling? – Richard Hatch, anyway), a potential presidential candidate.

7) Assuming here that Tigh is not one of the forces of “moderation”, I would suggest that he will introduce some form of police state, based on his wife’s suggestion, working with Tom Zelleck. The latter will be voted through the Council of Twelve, using his place-men to secure the votes. Zelleck will of course be in charge, and will soon start side-lining Tigh.

I suspect that Tigh (if the above is anywhere near the truth) is being set up for a tragic fall. His love and support of a great man (Cmmdr Adama) leads him to do what he believes Adama would want (police state etc), even though Adama would not support such a thing (again, personal opinion). In effect, he takes one aspect of Adama’s personality (strong man, enforcer of the rules etc), without the counter-balancing humanity and understanding of people that Adama has. Thus he goes too far, and introduces a real dictatorship, to “save democracy”…. I suspect that in such a scenario, there would either be a slow descent in to hell for him as he realises what he has done but cannot escape (Baltar style), or a death-bed realisation that he has betrayed his best friend’s hopes and dreams as Zelleck tries to murder Adama (or Rosilin) to cement his own position

8) Finally, to walk further out on this shaky bridge that I have built, this would allow Starbuck and Apollo to lead some form of revolution (or whatever) to restore the “legitimate” government, once Starbuck returns.

OK, all the above may be flakier than a flaky-thing, but it has the ring of possibility for the politics of the situation… Mind you, it take no account of the Cylons, pregnancies and wars that might just be going off in the background, but to me it has always been the development of the characters that is interesting than the “wizz-bang” explosions…

Any thoughts?

Aiddar

Headgehog
    Participant
    aiddar wrote:

1) President Roslin is in jail, on suspicion of being some form of dictator

Hey welcome to the site.

It’s an interesting dilemma, technically Adama is wrong, military juntas are almost never done legally, and I can’t see him winning this politically or legally. But Adama is in control of the only human armed forces, which gives him a lot of power.

3) The Vice President (Baltar) is trapped on the planet Kobol… In addition, someone he has cleared using his “Baltar-certified Nuclear Powered Cylon Detector ™” just shot the Commander, thus making the position of Baltar very precarious if he *were* on BG….

Not necessarily, who said he reported the results of Boomer’s test? He probably kept quiet about that. If someone asks, he tells them that he hasn’t had a chance to test her yet.

4) Lee Adama has just committed Mutiny (possibly though, it could be argued he was refusing to carry out an illegal order…), the penalty for which is normally death. Assuming that Tigh was on the Court of Enquiry (or Court Martial, if it went that far), things would look bad for the young Adama…

He’s boned. As per Adama’s military junta, there is no court martial, just jail time. The only way out for Lee is for the cylons to attack, and he performs some kind of heroic miracle on the Galactica’s behalf.

5) Starbuck has disobeyed a direct order, and “stolen” a Cylon fighter. Again, on return, she will be reporting to Tigh, not Adama, and Tigh really *really* does not like Starbuck..

Oh yeah, Starbuck is also in a bad position. There won’t be any easy way for her to be reintegrated into the fleet. Conceivably, Roslin would have to be in power again, and force the public to believe Starbuck to be a hero, because she brought back the Arrow of Apollo.

OK, all the above may be flakier than a flaky-thing, but it has the ring of possibility for the politics of the situation… Mind you, it take no account of the Cylons, pregnancies and wars that might just be going off in the background, but to me it has always been the development of the characters that is interesting than the “wizz-bang” explosions…

I know the Colonial leadership will go through some tough times in the season 2 opening episodes, but I don’t think it’ll turn into that huge a clusterfuck. I’m not shooting down your idea, just pointing out that I think its too involved and Byzantine for a weekly series. Even Dune had to be toned down for the two miniseries. Based on how Colonial Day was only marginally successful when it came to politics (I need to edit my review), I think they’ll be sticking more toward character interactions, then polictical grasps for power. But that’s just my opinion, I could be wrong.

I’ve already seen some s2 spoilers, and I’ve tried to write this based on what I knew before I read the spoilers. So some of what I wrote I already know is wrong ๐Ÿ˜‰

Requiem
    Participant

I don’t mean to be inappropriate…just wanna say hello to everybody loving the BSG in my own language. ๐Ÿ˜‰

damocles
    Participant

Hello.

This is just a question.

Did anyone notice the sudden plethora of old style Battlestar Galactica ships that have suddenly joined the Ragtag fleet?

Headgehog
    Participant

Requiem: So is that what your captions wind up looking like?

damocles: I think those ships have been there all along. I’ve noticed them all season long, and even some in the mini. But then again, I am the kind of sadgeezer who like to look at spaceships.

Requiem
    Participant

Yes?Something wrong? I intentionally add this one to say hello but not in the one I sent to you and my own Chinese subtitle.:cry:

Rjames
    Participant

Here’s four questions to ponder – from the simple to the complex.

1) Will a Cylom Raider (designed to be pilot-less) be big enough to fit all three – Starbuck, Helo and Boomer, for the return to the Galactica?

2) If so, what would happen upon their return, with two Boomers on board, both known to be Cylons? Or, are Helo and Boomer (or just Boomer – Boomer #2?) meant to stay on Caprica, to start a new race?

3) If the colonies were started by a race migrating from another star, then they’ve had space travel and hi-tech for two millenia. So if that is the established premise, then why is everything apparently based on myth and/or religious belief? Wouldn’t they just have actual physical records of all past events as “facts” – having had a hi-tech society with computers, etc. for 2,000 years?

4) Could the entire purpose for destroying the colonies, just have been used as a catalyst to force the exodus of the fleet, to lead the Cylons to Earth? And for what purpose? To destroy all of mankind, or something greater? Possibly to renew the cycle of time, starting the whole story over again, somehow? Remember, the Cylons are doing God’s will – so what would God have in mind, in doing this?

And I just have to throw in a number 5 …..

5) If the migration from Kobol happened only 2,000 years ago, what stage of development would Earth be at, when the fleet finally finds Earth? Remember though, with FTL travel, time is relative. So every FTL jump actually covers hundreds, if not thousands of years, in relative time. So I wonder, would they find an Earth in a primitive setting, thousands of years after the original migrants from Kobol had all died out? Or possibly, find a dead Earth, after a possible global nuclear holocaust. Forcing them to return to Kobol to restart civilization – and possibly populating it with hybrids – who would be known as “The Gods of Kobol”, renewing the cycle of time thing? (This is my guess on how the series will end, btw)

It would be funny though, if they found the original inhabitants from Stargate Atlantis … LOL But that would bring the whole series down to a lower level, in my opinion. So I sincerely hope it doesn’t take that turn, in the minds of the network execs, for ratings on their other sjhows.

Anyway, anybody with any thoughts on any of this, jump in.

MY EDIT >>>

My mistake on the last question. It escaped me for a bit on how short the FTL jumps have been. But I’m still curious as to what stage of development Earth would be at, taking the 2,000 year period since the exodus.

damocles
    Participant

Here’s four questions to ponder – from the simple to the complex.

Here are some answers.

1) Will a Cylom Raider (designed to be pilot-less) be big enough to fit all three – Starbuck, Helo and Boomer, for the return to the Galactica?

No, so the three will do what the two originally planned: steal a jump capable Cylon TOASTER MARK XII troop transport. Kara flies it after she gives it her patented “McGyver pocket knife lobotomy”.

2) If so, what would happen upon their return, with two Boomers on board, both known to be Cylons? Or, are Helo and Boomer (or just Boomer – Boomer #2?) meant to stay on Caprica, to start a new race?

That would be telling, but one and possibly two of these four(Kara, Caprica TOASTER MARK IV, Karlo and/or Battlestar Sharon) are going to die.

3) If the colonies were started by a race migrating from another star, then they’ve had space travel and hi-tech for two millenia. So if that is the established premise, then why is everything apparently based on myth and/or religious belief? Wouldn’t they just have actual physical records of all past events as “facts” – having had a hi-tech society with computers, etc. for 2,000 years?

We face exactly the same situation on Earth for nigh more than five hundred years(Books instead of computers.). We, in the West, seem to secularize well enough; but there are still churches, mate. Out in the land of Allah, there is some Paki cleric who claims a giant tidal wave is going to wash the Americans away in 2007. He quotes the Koran to prove it. Guess how many fervent believers he’s ignited with hope?

4) Could the entire purpose for destroying the colonies, just have been used as a catalyst to force the exodus of the fleet, to lead the Cylons to Earth? And for what purpose? To destroy all of mankind, or something greater? Possibly to renew the cycle of time, starting the whole story over again, somehow? Remember, the Cylons are doing God’s will – so what would God have in mind, in doing this?

The Cylons are prodding Helo, and the Ragtag Fleet running from them; both, through the maze. I call it “labratting”. Some reasons for prodding could be:

a. The Cylons want to V’ger with the Colonials to produce a new race for the “next step”?
    b. The Cylons want to find the thirteenth tribe using the R/F as a judas goat so they can remodel Earth?
    c. Count Iblis, the thirteenth “lord of Kobol” adopted the defeated Cylons as his pets and is deluding them into a genocidal war to exact his revenge on the “tribes of man” as well as the pther “lords of Kobol”?

And I just have to throw in a number 5 …..

The more, the merrier……

5) If the migration from Kobol happened only 2,000 years ago, what stage of development would Earth be at, when the fleet finally finds Earth? Remember though, with FTL travel, time is relative. So every FTL jump actually covers hundreds, if not thousands of years, in relative time. So I wonder, would they find an Earth in a primitive setting, thousands of years after the original migrants from Kobol had all died out? Or possibly, find a dead Earth, after a possible global nuclear holocaust. Forcing them to return to Kobol to restart civilization – and possibly populating it with hybrids – who would be known as “The Gods of Kobol”, renewing the cycle of time thing? (This is my guess on how the series will end, btw)

Interesting take, but no; the Earth will be here, and here is where they settle. Whether the thirteenth tribe is still around?….

Incidentally, your theory on FTL time transit is wrong. Tau in a exotic matter expanded micro-wormhole, through which real spaceships would jump, equals zero.

It would be funny though, if they found the original inhabitants from Stargate Atlantis … LOL But that would bring the whole series down to a lower level, in my opinion. So I sincerely hope it doesn’t take that turn, in the minds of the network execs, for ratings on their other sjhows.

I was thinking of a Babylon 5(TM) tie-in. Imagine the TOASTERS’ surprise when they run into an Earth Force Warlock class destroyer!

Anyway, anybody with any thoughts on any of this, jump in.

Thanks for the invite!

MY EDIT >>>

My mistake on the last question. It escaped me for a bit on how short the FTL jumps have been. But I’m still curious as to what stage of development Earth would be at, taking the 2,000 year period since the exodus.

Anywhere from Egypt down to when?

If Moore was smart and he arched the story out(Instead of doing it on the fly, as he seems to be writing it.) he’ll end it in media res just as the Colonials find the way to Sol but not actually entering into close Earth space.

Please no Galactica 2010!

Rjames
    Participant

I’m still stuck on the fact of the history/myth angle, in light of computers. To me, it seems the record keeping history would be totally different in that respect, compared to ours presently, involving relying on books. But of course, the original settlers could have chosen to keep past information on a low-tech course, to protect the future interests of the colonies.

The thirteenth Lord of Kobol idea totally escaped me. Is there anywhere that someone has written down the entire Kobol mythology, so I could get up to speed on what the colonials believe? Or is it just a make the “details” up as you go along situation?

damocles
    Participant

With more and more Human knowledge being logged into the data storage of computer networks(like the internet) it becomes more and more centralized and accessible to corruption of “truth”.

Check vis the Chinese of the PRC sanitizing their version of the Internet to reflect their “truth” Ditto in the Islamic community where the translation of Western Knowledge into Arabic bears no relation to a true “word for word” or transliteral translation but is “interpretive”.

Books are decentralized. There are so many of them. Even Stalin had trouble covering up the paper trail. Bureaucrats in the Age of Paper kept so many “records”.

For the thirteen lordsa of Kobol, I refer you to the Ron Moore podcasts from Tigh Me Up, Tigh Me Down onward. You also must need review ALL the materials at the SciFi.com website. Go to their homepage and explore their Battlestar Galactica page.

Pay close attention to all of the outtakes from each episode. You get much of the missing backstory from those sources.

That webpage is here.

http://scifi.com/battlestar/

Happy hunting and cheers!

Headgehog
    Participant

Sorry, I’ve been meaning to post this for a while. According to blogs and interviews, some sort of dark age struck the colonists soon after they arrived in the new system. It took them hundreds of years before they made contact with each other again. When Rome fell, almost all knowledge was lost, it took a thousand years to crawl out of the dark ages. It doesn’t surprise me that very little previous scientific knowledge from Kobol would have survived, or even be perverted by leaders in the dark times.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.