Enterprise *sob*

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    SadGeezer
    Keymaster

Alright then. For the last few years, despite the lambasting they’ve had the from the general population, Lexx, Stargate SG-1 and Voyager have been my favourite Sci-Fi shows. When critics slammed Voyager repeatedly, I hung with it, and at the end of the seven seasons and a variety of coloured catsuits for Jeri Ryan, I felt satisfied.

Enterprise… dear god, Enterprise. Unlike most of my peers, I wasn’t enamoured of the pilot, but since then it’s been nothing but a demonic amalgamation of continuity errors (giving Klingons holodeck technology, for example, and apparently there’s an upcoming episode with Ferengi in) and flat, unmemorable characters.

Sadgeezer once commented that he didn’t like Star Trek, particularly TNG, because of the flat, unlovable characters and the endless sciencey technobabble that never really made any sense. This is the first Star Trek series I’ve ever seen where I’d have to agree with him.

However. The show seems to be doing really well in the US, and I’m interested to know – if you do enjoy it, perhaps more than other Trek incarnations… what draws you to it?

Anonymous

Well I have to say it hasn’t lived up to my expectations, but I still think it’s quite good.
    Initially the idea was for it to be an explanation of sorts as to what happened after First Contact, following Zefram Cochrane and the first steps of warp travel and starfleet, it was originally going to be called Birth of the Federation.
    Enterprise hasn’t really given enough insight into the lead to it’s era, and that’s what I find disappointing, instead it just seems to be trying to mimick the first trek.
    I think the technobabble is a necessity, and hats off to them for making it believable, bearing in mind that a lot of these ideas have been named after the technobabble we hear, and as Nasa have been consultants to Star Trek over the years, it adds more plausibility to it’s utopian future.
    I’ve always loved the whole premise, as it does paint a bright future, instead of a depressing one, like so many other Sci-fi programmes depict.
    It is entertaining, but it’s not doing what I think many fans wanted to see, and that’s following the events after First Contact in enough detail.
    Squishy

Flamegrape
    Participant

I think Jolene Blalock is hot. Yowza!

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by Flamegrape:
    I think Jolene Blalock is hot. Yowza!

I’ll second that, if all Vulcan’s look like that, then they can take over the planet anytime they like!!!
    Do you think Jeri Ryan’s time on Voyager might have had something to do with the dishy Miss Blalock being on Enterprise!!!
    Squishy

DalekTek790
    Participant

Enterprise was a lot better than I was fearing. It does seem like it’s been dumbed down a little from the last 3 Star Trek series, more centered on physical action than the cerebral. Plus they recycle plots. Still, it’s at least average for television sci-fi.

Actually, the Klingons having holodeck technology isn’t a continuity error. It had been previously established that the Klingon Empire had holodeck technology before the Federation (which got it somewhere between 2291 and 2353). The real error was giving Starfleet transporter technology. Enterprise takes place in the 2160s (I think), but the people in the Next Generation episode The Masterpiece Society had never heard of transporters, and they left Earth in the 2180s. I’ve noticed a few continuity errors since I started watching.

T’Pol is okay, but not as strong a character as other Vulcan characters (though, to be honest, I never saw the original series episode with her). She seems sorta like a rehash of 7 of 9.

Whether the terms are made-up or simply arcane, think the tesh talk is necessary for a show like Star Trek.

I could say more but if I don’t leave soon I’ll be late for my lit class.

Anonymous

I should probably clarify – this is the first series of Trek I’ve seen where the technobabble has been confusing, because … well, it’s just not working properly any more. At least previously when LaForge said “you can’t go above warp 10” there a consistent reason why, even if it wouldn’t make any sense to the average viewer. The Universal Translator, for example – previously, it was established that the computer held the translator in their communicators / comnbadges. Now Hoshi seems to carry this large device around for ten minutes before suddenly everyone’s speaking fluently to the aliens of the week whether she’s there or not.

The fact that they’re all scared of the transporter really annoys me. Would Starfleet really include one if it wasn’t safe technology? Wouldn’t they have been trained to use the things routinely back on Earth?

When in other series was it established that Klingons had the holodeck technology? I must have missed it…

DalekTek790
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by :
    I should probably clarify – this is the first series of Trek I’ve seen where the technobabble has been confusing, because … well, it’s just not working properly any more. At least previously when LaForge said “you can’t go above warp 10” there a consistent reason why, even if it wouldn’t make any sense to the average viewer. The Universal Translator, for example – previously, it was established that the computer held the translator in their communicators / comnbadges. Now Hoshi seems to carry this large device around for ten minutes before suddenly everyone’s speaking fluently to the aliens of the week whether she’s there or not.

The fact that they’re all scared of the transporter really annoys me. Would Starfleet really include one if it wasn’t safe technology? Wouldn’t they have been trained to use the things routinely back on Earth?

When in other series was it established that Klingons had the holodeck technology? I must have missed it…

The use of the transporter annoys me to. Of course, it wasn’t really safe technology in the original Star Trek. Numerous stories relied on transporter malfunctions (in fact, Rick Berman was so annoyed by that cliché that he made a rule against using transporter malfunctions in The Next Generation, though that was broken a few times by writers in later seasons).

I can’t remember the episode, but in one show a Klingon is bragging about the accomplishments of his civilization and mentions that they preceded Starfleet in holodeck technology. It’s probably in the Star Trek Encyclopedia, but I don’t have that with me.

I don’t see the tesh talk in Enterprise as being any more confusing than the tesh talk in The Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, Voyager, or the original Star Trek.

Anonymous

apart from the original Star Trek series (first episode viewed at the tender age of 6!!), none of the new incarnations of the series have grabbed me straight from the first episode, and Enterprise is no exception. However, I have found that the
    others took maybe at least a couple of seasons to find their feet and I imagine Enterprise will be the same. It shows promise, and i’ll stick with it (unless they start doing the-dog’s-been-taken-over-by-a-psychopathic-energy-based-alien-life-form-whilst-being-stuck-in-a-holodeck-simulation-wit h-most-of-the-crew-as-the-ship-is-about-to-crash stories (and they better not even think of doing a story even remotely involving Wesley Crusher)

Anonymous

Hi guys! A really long time no se!
    Didnt have time to log in!

Many other Start Trek series have been through al this at the begining! In a season or 2 we wont give it so much thought!
    I havent seen Enterprise but I hope it comes to sweden!
    As to the fright od trasporters! If the trasporter teknology was made in real life! A mashine that slice you up in a billion parts and moves them to a nother place and puts you together again! A mashine that sometimes will fail and kill someone!
    Dont you think you would be scared of using it to? Even if you where a soldier or trained to goe to space! Knowing that theres a chace (Not to smal chance) that it wuld kill you?

And the reson way Starfleet uses it even though its not safe is because its effective in sertain times! Just like we sen people in to space! Its risky but being able to have men in space can be effective!

Anonymous
    Inactive

“I can see my house from here” – Klingon

crusader
    Participant

Que?

Anonymous

My big complante is that only the 6 main people get any lines, ok there was the one show that the Doc talked to a woman but other then that no other crew member says boo.
    Monkey

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by :
    Hi guys! A really long time no se!
    Didnt have time to log in!

Many other Start Trek series have been through al this at the begining! In a season or 2 we wont give it so much thought!
    I havent seen Enterprise but I hope it comes to sweden!
    As to the fright od trasporters! If the trasporter teknology was made in real life! A mashine that slice you up in a billion parts and moves them to a nother place and puts you together again! A mashine that sometimes will fail and kill someone!
    Dont you think you would be scared of using it to? Even if you where a soldier or trained to goe to space! Knowing that theres a chace (Not to smal chance) that it wuld kill you?

And the reson way Starfleet uses it even though its not safe is because its effective in sertain times! Just like we sen people in to space! Its risky but being able to have men in space can be effective!

Good point Crusader, in fact in the last ep I saw….Spoiler alert

They used the transporter to beam up an enemy anti-matter reactor from a planet to disable an enemy vessel, they beamed it in front of the enemy ship and blew it up with one of those useless rockets they have…so it does have it uses.
    I think it’s fair to assume that new technology as dangerous as the transporter would be cast as being a worry to any new crew, I certainly wouldn’t step into one…look what happened with the fly!!!
    It’s a bit of a shame that Enterprise seems to get it’s arse whupped everytime it squares up to an alien vessel, but then most of these ships tend to have superior weapons and arnaments.
    Squishy

crusader
    Participant

They are working on something like trasporters now! But it will work difrently!
    One mashine will destroy your body and send your mind to another mashine and puts together a new body (That is just like your old body) and your mind is set in to that body!
    No way in HELL I set my foot in THAT mashine! Getting your body destroyed everytime your traveling! No way! (Hopefuly they will find a bether way before that mashine is finished!)

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by crusader:
    They are working on something like trasporters now! But it will work difrently!
    One mashine will destroy your body and send your mind to another mashine and puts together a new body (That is just like your old body) and your mind is set in to that body!
    No way in HELL I set my foot in THAT mashine! Getting your body destroyed everytime your traveling! No way! (Hopefuly they will find a bether way before that mashine is finished!)

Hmmm, that’s interesting, I follow new scientific discoveries and had not heard of that.
    There was some talk of super fast biological ram (real life brain tissue) which was the next step in computers, and they were going to see how fast it could transfer information, and then eventually attempt a teleportation if the super computer could cope with the data transfer.
    The idea was more akin to Star Trek’s replicators than anything else, as the proposed stream of information would be atoms, last I heard they were trying to send an inanimate object through, but like the idea you mentioned the original object would be disintegrated and what happened on the other side was that the computer would reorganise the computed atoms into the original object.
    I don’t think they have the capability to transfer someones concsience just yet, but if they can do this with small objects, then it’s possible to recreate anything, from food to blankets for third world countries.
    The surprising thing is, is that this is not science fiction, they haven’t acheived it yet, but thet are not far off.
    Squishy

theVodkaCircle
    Participant

Well I saw the first episode of Enterprise, then could only be bothered with 5 minutes of the second so I don’t hold out much hope of seeing anymore

God I’m so sick of lame tv sci fi with plots as seethrough as a silk hanky and acting as realistic as southpark. Gimme something serious and ballsy.

Sorry *steps off soap box* I’ll remove myself to the angst section

Anonymous

i don’t have a problem with techno-gaffes or continuity errors- i admit i’m biased when it comes to trek, and i can forgive almost any ‘sin’ it commits. my one concern/niggle with the show so far comes after watching ‘civilisation’ a few days ago. i thought to myself “hang on, have we got another captain kirk here? is captain archer going to start chasing alien skirt at every oppotunity?”. the point being that this is a new show, and each character needs to develop their own personality, and not be a carbon copy of someone else- just because a person type worked once before does’t make it ok to keep bringing in the same type of person. it just gets dull after a while. besides, i’m one for the will-they-won’t-they sort of story. having romantic slush slapped in my face makes me cringe. this is sci-fi, not a mills & boon novel!!!

Anonymous

Every since they brough Trek to UPN, its been horrible. Hot babes, lame story lines or large holes in them, and more Transporter mishaps.

Chances are they will bring back the borg or the diminion to Enterprise as they cant think up an original enemy.

Trek went downhill fast when they ended DS9.

Anonymous

Trek went downhill fast when they ended DS9.

Erm, Trek went downhill because of DS9.

Squishy

Anonymous

Erm, Trek went downhill because of DS9.

No it didn’t. DS9 was a great show!! Better than Voyager at any rate (well, everything is.)

Chances are they will bring back the borg or the diminion to Enterprise as they cant think up an original enemy.

That’s happened before, it wouldn’t surprise me if it happened again.

Anonymous

i know this may be a complete load of sphericals, but does anyone think that this being running the Suliban is Dukat???
    that’ll be your unoriginal enemy then!!!

Anonymous

Originally posted by Smartass 2002:
    [QB]
    No it didn’t. DS9 was a great show!! Better than Voyager at any rate (well, everything is.)
    Ummm, but yes it did, Berman himself admitted that most trekkers did not appreciate the program, and if you do a little research as I have you will see that about 70-75% disliked DS9 (although they never said they hated it).
    I may still have a poll that was conducted donkey’s years ago (well about 3yrs)kicking about on my old P.C, which ran on the offical trek site which confirms that.
    Before Lexx, life was all Trek (looking back I see it as a bit sad now…the things you do when you’re young and easily swayed!!!) for me, and I did the rounds, and it’s odd that in the DS9 vs B5 debate, that the fans of B5 back then did enjoy DS9 (even though at the time they wouldn’t admit it), as that issue has cropped up before, and it’s surprising to see how B5 fans enjoyed DS9…must have something about being set on space stations that appealed to them for some bizarre reason!!!
    On the whole though there was a clear indication of how the majority of trekkers felt about it, I think many switched off because they didn’t like the fact that a:there was no Enterprise, and B:it was not aboard a starship.
    Following it came Voyager, which tried to recreate TNG, but without copying it completely, as DS9 was a failure in most fans eyes.
    Voyager slumped big time around about the 3rd and 4th season, Jeri Ryan came in and the Borg came back and it picked up, if it hadn’t then Berman and Co were certainly looking to end the franchise, they decided to give it another go with Enterprise…all this is well documented.
    But everyone has their personal preference, and if yours is DS9…then fair enough, but as far as Paramount, Berman and a lot of fans are concerned it was a huge failure, personal feelings aside, it did attract my interest again when they tried to make it more interesting with the Dominion, and for the last two seasons it had picked up, but the damage had already been done, it had a bad name for itself due to extremely heavy use of political implications and being stuck in the same place the majority of the time.
    Lexx is accused of having many fillers, but DS9 had made a niche in doing this, and it just put almost everyone off, so history will record it as being the poorest Trek according to the numbers.
    Squishy

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.