Ep 7: Six Degrees of Seperation (Spoilers)

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums Cult Sci Fi Series Battlestar Galactica (Reimagined) Ep 7: Six Degrees of Seperation (Spoilers)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Headgehog
    Participant

Okay, so the episode hasn’t aired yet, but I’m excited about this one. A physical #6 shows up, and claims Baltar is a traitor, causing him to be arrested. This promises to be a good Baltar/#6 heavy episode.

And the London Gaurdian had this to say about the episode:

If there’s one thing Star Trek has taught us it’s that you have to endure several talky episodes while they pony up the budget to deliver one with some hot spaceship on spaceship action. Galactica has calmed down a little from the flashy series beginning but it never lets you forget that there’s some heavy-duty warfare on the way. Soon. The quieter, character building moments are still fraught with tension as Cylon agents infiltrate the rag-tag fleet and things start to look particularly grim for the human traitor. The less it plays like the great/rubbish original series, the better it becomes.

I’m expecting big things!

Headgehog
    Participant

I just finished watching it a second time. This episode kicked ass! This was certainly one of the more wry episodes I’ve seen so far. And personally I’d like to see more episodes like this, although I would like the series to remain dark.

Shelly Godfrey? That should have been a give-away that she was a cylon. What human mother would name her daughter Shelly Godfrey?

The religion aspect of the episode, didn’t annoy me so much as before, probably because of how it was presented. There was enough material for both a born-again and a hard-core agnostic to both declare victory here. Did Baltar really accept god into his life, or is it just for show? My guess is that he’s back to his atheist ways. He’ll be sure to pay lipservice to god in front of #6 just in case.

If he really did accept god, and choose to be an instrument of his will, and since the cylon god is singular, whereas the colonial gods are a pantheon, does that mean he’s now a tool for the cylons?

Will Starbuck keep good on her promise and kick the crap outta the doctor and Apollo?

Does Roslin trust Baltar?
    My guess is no. She probably just apologized for the camera’s, and still rightfully has her doubts about him.

Anybody else have some points they want to bring up?

Expect the review in a few days, this is going to be a tough one to write.

Anonymous

I knew when Six showed up as human, it was to be used as a tool for solidifying Baltars position with the Fleet. Six initially controlled Baltar through sex, then later through fear, but by this ep, that no longer worked as well, so she had to put his life on the line.

The interesting thing is this Six (Godfrey) seems to be one of the Cylons programmed like BSGs Boomer to believe she’s human but still ultimately controlled (by God or by their Master Copy?)

The other Boomer seemed to be aware of the BSGs Boomer memories, which raises some interesting questions.

Sci -Fi
    Participant

Seems like this episode had more than its share of comic moments when compared to previous episodes.

Did anybody find it kind of weird that in the restroom scene it seemed like Gaeta was just sitting on the can with his pants up? Was an amusing scene though…. “wait…you forgot to wash your hands”…”no more mr. nice Gaius”…lol.

Baltar thinking he was going to be executed was pretty hilarious too….”wait…I haven’t even had a trial yet”….lol

Baltar calls “6” ….Sarah…in the apartment…and where did she disappear to at the end? Are the writers starting to explain what that Cylon device they removed from the bridge…a form of hologram projection?

Boomer caressing the Raider was spooky. It appears the Cylons downloaded and used whatever brain pattern they felt was appropriate for a particular function/ship/etc whether it be animal or human or whatever.

The religious aspect doesn’t bother me. It appears the Lords of Kobol were the ancient wise men of their society. God or Gods is basically what we still believe in or refer to today…a mixture of early or ancient local religions/ceremonies and the various current religions…we still use the terms or attribute events to…mother nature, ocean gods (various names depending on geographical location), act of fate, etc etc. I believe the writers are mirroring the controversy today, where there are many interpretations of what “God” means to different groups of people and there really isn’t a right or wrong way to worship or what you personally believe in.

๐Ÿ˜ณ ๐Ÿ˜› ๐Ÿ˜€

Anonymous
    Sci -Fi wrote:

Did anybody find it kind of weird that in the restroom scene it seemed like Gaeta was just sitting on the can with his pants up? Was an amusing scene though…. “wait…you forgot to wash your hands”…”no more mr. nice Gaius”…lol.

I think Gaeta is weird period. I was speculating with Headgehog yesterday and I’ve come to the conclusion that Gaeta is a Cylon in disguise ๐Ÿ™„ hehe

This episode had a lot of good humor. Baltar was great as always, and I really liked his defiance in the beginning of the ep and his total conversion at the end was chilling. Six without makeup was almost as chilling.

Best ep in a while I think.

Sci -Fi
    Participant
    ”LexxLurker” wrote:

I think Gaeta is weird period. I was speculating with Headgehog yesterday and I’ve come to the conclusion that Gaeta is a Cylon in disguise ๐Ÿ™„ hehe

You think there are “gay Cylon models”???…lol..j/k (my poor attempt at humor) ๐Ÿ˜ณ

Seriously though, Gaeta looked pretty bad in “33”. If he was a Cylon, wouldn’t he fare much better like Boomer? Or is he an advanced bio-Cylon model that shows the effects or mimics extreme stress and sleep deprivation more realistically?

Viewing the episode again, Baltar is not all that cracked up as an artificial intelligence expert/scientist/programmer. He can’t even manipulate/crack that computer terminal in the lab or even pull out the power cord. Obviously the cd was downloaded to some server/remote computer. If he couldn’t destroy or find the cd, so what was the point of trying to use the chair to smash the screen? Ctrl-Alt-Del doesn’t work either?…lol…j/k ๐Ÿ˜ณ Afterall, Baltar must be familiar with the various computer systems and OS’s used by the Colonials and he was using the same equipment to “develop his Cylon detector”. Plus adding a backdoor(s) to programming seems to be the standard operating procedures used by Colonial government contractors. For somebody in his position, he should be able to point out vulnerabilities/flaws in any previous programming to promote his own solutions to gain contracts and more prestige. Or was all the programming used in the Galactica some hard coded machine language?

BTW, since Baltar seems to get off all the time with “6”, wouldn’t he have to change his pants/underwear often?
    ๐Ÿ˜ฏ ๐Ÿ™„ ๐Ÿ˜ณ ๐Ÿ™‚

Anonymous
    Sci -Fi wrote:

”LexxLurker” wrote:

You think there are “gay Cylon models”???…lol..j/k (my poor attempt at humor) ๐Ÿ˜ณ

[/quote]

Yes.

#11 Code-name: Smithers

๐Ÿ˜€

Headgehog
    Participant
    Sci -Fi wrote:

I think the entire scene was awkward.
    1) Gaeta didn’t drop his pants, and Shelly did raise her dress. I guess in the future: toilets automatically quantum transport waste out of ones bowels and into the plumbing system. No more having to wipe down the toilet seat!
    2) The toilet stalls had to be the thinnest ever produced in human history, this must have something to do with the quantum crap teleportation system.

Anyone else notice Gaeta whistling the theme to the original Galactica?

a form of hologram projection?

Aside from the quantum toilets, they’ve been pretty good at maintaining realism. Holograms are not solid, period. I hope that they will explain what happened to Shelly Godfrey. To quote Adama, “She didn’t just vanish!”.

You think there are “gay Cylon models”???…lol..j/k (my poor attempt at humor)

So I’m not the only one who got that vibe?

I’m not happy about the direction, or lack there of, of Gaeta. Of all the supporting cast members, he’s had the least amount of character development. And more to the point, he’s a horribly flat character. Gaeta doesn’t even have a first name. If you work on the show, and know it, please tell! He’s seen more screen time then Duella, Billy, Cally, Tom Zarek and Hadrian combined, but he has yet to show any emotion or humanity. Unless TPTBs have something special in mind, there’s no excuse for that.

If he were a Cylon, it’d be a major cop out. For the simple reason that he’s so mechanical to begin with, it’s almost obvious. The writers can show more imagination then that.

Viewing the episode again, Baltar is not all that cracked up as an artificial intelligence expert/scientist/programmer. He can’t even manipulate/crack that computer terminal in the lab or even pull out the power cord.

I was thinking the same thing last night when I watched this episode. Nobel prize in computer science my ass… This is my standard excuse, but I’ll give them artistic lisense. It’s funnier that he couldn’t wipe out the image. And it really just showed his desperation. At the end, he tried to wiggle in front of the monitor with his picture, even though Adama et al already saw it.

Ctrl-Alt-Del doesn’t work either?…lol…j/k

Its not like it works all the time on today’s computers either…

BTW, since Baltar seems to get off all the time with “6”, wouldn’t he have to change his pants/underwear often?

Good question!

”Lexxlurker” wrote:

Six without makeup was almost as chilling.

She tried to pull off the geek-girl, and failed miserably. I’m not sure if this was bad acting, poor direction, or poor makeup. If it was all part of #6’s plan to poorly act out Shelly, to arouse enough suspicion so that they’d double check the footage, then its only poor direction. Personally, I’d have to go with bad acting, but I’m not a very good judge of these things.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.