errr, guys….chat help!!

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums Other Forums The Pub errr, guys….chat help!!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    SadGeezer
    Keymaster

had a go at getting into the chatroom tonight. i think i did what it said, but it told me the page requested wasn’t found (or something). did i do something wrong?

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m not big on chat, but I did try to access the thedarkzone.org/chat and the same thing happened to me.

This Lexx.com thread probably won’t help you, but it may be worth having a look at.

Oh, and if you are indeed talking about thedarkzone.org/chat, and you have registered at lexx.com, if you post your question there you should get answers quite quickly.

Sorry I haven’t really helped much.

Anonymous

The page is working today:
    http://thedarkzone.org/chat/%5B/url%5D

You’ll need java, though.

Or you can use any IRC client (mIRC, whatever) that floats your boat.

Anonymous

well, me not exactly being well up on computers ‘n’ stuff, wouldn’t know exactly what Java was even if it slapped me in the face. other half, who originally set my computer up, says i have it, so i believe him. had a play with some of my settings last night, which looked like they might have something to do with it, tried again tonight- got exactly the same response. wondering if my firewall was being its usual pain in the rear, i’ve come onto the other half’s computer (i use NTL/Microsoft Internet Explorer, he uses AOL, with its own browser (if this makes a difference)). still didn’t want to know. i’ll have a go at downloading that IRC software tomorrow, see if i can get on then- but i’m going to have to have a serious clearout of my hard drive first- got it so full at the mo my computer ain’t happy!! (tomorrow, ‘cos i can’t be arsed to sort it now!!) got to clear some room before i download anything else onto it. so chaps- if any of you actually did/are going to the ‘party’ tonight (assuming you haven’t had the same probs i have!) have fun, don’t do anything i wouldn’t do…and save me a drink an a mince pie

[ 30-12-2002: Message edited by: snooklepie ]

theFrey
    Participant

Click on Sci-fi chat on the top of this page. It is an exhaustive detailed set of instructions for both ways of getting in. I am there now.

Anonymous

i downloaded mIRC this afternoon. had a go at getting into the chatroom. having never been in any chatroom anywhere, i didn’t know what to expect. i didn’t even know if i’d loaded everything right!!! (this is at approx 3.30pm. UK time) got the 3-4 green lines about telling you to play nice, said hello, nowt happened. was it just because no=one was in, or did i screw up again??

Anonymous
    Inactive

Which chatroom was it?

There are a few possibilities:

a) Did you see the nicks (names) of other people online (online users). For instance, if it was the Lexx chat there is/ or was almost always Shukaido online. It may be just possible that they were ignoring you. Now, without getting too technical, Shukaido is a bot, but you can get a reaction out of it if you prod, poke, pokle, or “shuckle’ the Shukaido bot. The trick is to write “/me pokes Shukaido bot” or something close to that (it’s been a long tome since I went): READ THEIR COMMAND LIST.

b) If there were online users listed they probably weren’t ignoring you, but were multi-tasking (doing other things while leaving the chatroom open; probably with the window minimised).

c) There weren’t any other users online.

The place is often slow; you just have to leave a message and wait for other people to come online (keep checking back, and when you see a name pop up then greet them: “Yo, wazzupppppp!” is a standard chatroom greeting. If they don’y immediately respond don’t worry about. I got the impression that some of the people there are a little shy, or wary around newbies.

BTW, one of the things I haven’t liked about the chat is that it is rather cliquey, but if you go there at the right time, and the right people are there, then you will have an enjoyable experience. Otherwise, it can be a little difficult to join in on the chat (many of the people have been there for years, and they are good friends. The chat, I suspect, has become a very significant part of their social lives. And often you can’t follow the conversation because they will be reminiscing about other chats they’ve had).

Anyway, it doesn’t sound like you did anything wrong. Just try, try, and try again.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.