Failed movies from failed series…?

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums Cult Sci Fi Series Firefly Failed movies from failed series…?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    SadGeezer
    Keymaster

Posted by ranthony in the News section and transfered here.

Ever heard of a show called Firefly? I’m a fan. A hardcore fan. Ever heard of the movie Serenity? It’s a continuation of the characters and story line in Firefly. Again, I’m a hardcore fan. I just want to get the fact that I LOVE the show(s) in the record before I go where this post starts. Stay with me here.

Firefly was cancelled due to the infinite wisdom of Fox television. All television executives are omniscient, just ask the guys at NBC who cancelled Star Trek in the 60’s. They knew it was junk and was never going to make any money. Don’t let the fact that Paramount has milked millions out of the franchise (and founded the 5th broadcast network with not much more than Star Trek to carry it) since that point fool you, Star Trek needed canceling. In much the same way, the red-headed (browncoated) stepchild that was Firefly needed canceling, because Fox only agreed to let Joss Whedon do it so that they could keep him for another season of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. You don’t promote and fund a ‘gimme’ long term. And they didn’t. 13 episodes filmed. 10 episodes aired. No promotion to speak of. You’re outta here!

But Firefly wouldn’t die, I’m sure the old guard Star Trek fans out there understand why that is. Writing. Talking. Promoting. And lo and behold the show that needed canceling is resurrected as a feature length film. Some said “that doesn’t happen” (Trekkies know better, but we let them have their moment. Kids are so cute) and marveled at the feat. And, really it was a feat. An excellent film that preserved the atmosphere of the original show, and completed the main story arc left unfinished by Fox needing to cancel the show. It was on screens all too briefly, and passed onto disk (a copy of which is already in my library) within a few short months.

And then the rumblings started from naysayers, TV executive lakeys, and Hollywood insider wannabes concerning whether Serenity the movie was a success or failure, and whether or not this should “shut the fans up”.

Personally, I don’t feel like shutting up, and I don’t count the show’s short time on screen as a failure. Why you say? Because in comparison it’s just not.

I’d like to point out a show (no, not Star Trek) that had a similar fate, not so long ago. A critically acclaimed series with a very short life was resurrected as a movie (that was also critically acclaimed) that went out of theaters nearly as fast. What was the show? Twin Peaks. The movie was Fire Walk With Me. My point is this, even with the media circus that surrounded the show and the subsequent movie, if you look at the numbers here or here, you will see that the show did not in fact do an impressive amount of business. A recoup of about half of the 10 million dollar budget spent on it. But the critics loved it…

In comparison, Serenity’s numbers are just rosy here and here. All told, Serenity has made back the money spent on it, and we aren’t even done with the video sales yet. Not too shabby if I do say so myself. And still, I hear the “What if’s” and the “If only’s”. What’s done is done. The movie came out when it did, competed with the films that were out then, and left the theaters when new films crowded into the fall schedule showed up to push it out. Gotta have all the good films out right before Oscar time. Don’t ask me why, it must be that same omniscience that the TV execs have.

So why should we wear long faces and walk silently? I say we crow to the moon and demand a second film! Who’s with me?

Berzerker
    Participant

Ryan keeps on telling me it’s not going to happen but, hey I’m right behind you or anyone on this. Serenity was probably one of thes best movies out last year. I know some may beg to differ, but that’s my opinion. Futher more, just because a movie doesn’t meet what the Studio was expecting doesn’t mean that’s where it ends. Like you said, it’s making all of it’s money back and more through dvd sales. And right now in Hollywood, no matter how much the President of the Academy wants to deny it, most movies make about 60% of it’s money now through DVD sales (this also includes pay-per view, on demand)

I know I’m going a little off topic here for a second, but all please bare with me. Austin Powers was a movie that did terrable in the box office. I mean it came no where close to what it cost them to make it. But thanks to video sales, the movie went on to two more movies that did well. And other movies too, are being made into sequals thanks to dvd sales. So thanks to all us browncoats and Sci-Fi fans buying the movie it still has a chance. It still has a chance.

Also I have a little theory about Serenity 2. Reason why some fans are all doom and gloom, is because Joss is shruging off any comment about the movie. But the thind is Joss onlys does one project at a time. He doesn’t even think about anything else, while he’s writing or directing. Right now he’s working on Wonder Woman, so it’s not the end. Now to my theory part of this. Joss has said many times that he has had Morena Baccarin (Inara) to play here. Let’s say she get’s the part. Wonder Woman, which has been around since the 50’s, has one huge ass following. So it’s going to gain attraction, and going to make big bucks. Fans of this movie would want to see Joss and Morena’s work on Firefly/Serenity. A bigger fan base and demand is build. We all get our wish.

So let’s all stand on our beliefs of a Serenity 2. Because did Mal give up on getting back at the Alliance in any sort of way after the Battle of Serenity?

YOWAYYO
    Participant
    Berzerker wrote:

So let’s all stand on our beliefs of a Serenity 2. Because did Mal give up on getting back at the Alliance in any sort of way after the Battle of Serenity?

And did the Americans give up after the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor??? Hell no!!!!!

I’m with you, though…I hope your theory pans out and we get a 2nd movie.

pet
    Participant
    YOWAYYO wrote:

And did the Americans give up after the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor??? Hell no!!!!!

I’m with you, though…I hope your theory pans out and we get a 2nd movie.

I’m with you on the second part, but as to the first, was Abe Lincoln born in a log cabin he built with his own hands?

Anonymous

The Germans bombed Pearl Harbour? Wow, and I bet no-one knew because they were all distracted by the Japanese.

Seriously, I didn’t watch the series Firefly, er..dunno why, him indoors certainly did, but we went to see the film and frankly, I thought it was just excellent.

YOWAYYO
    Participant
    ”chic” wrote:

The Germans bombed Pearl Harbour? Wow, and I bet no-one knew because they were all distracted by the Japanese.

Ha ha ha. Yeah, the “Germans bombing Pearl harbor” line is actually a John Belushi quote from the movie “1941.” He was giving an impassioned speech at one point in the movie when he made the (in)famous remark, which I always thought was hilarious. I guess no one remembers it. 😆

Anyway, it’s been probably over 20 years since I last saw it but it was pretty corny if I recall. It had a good cast, though. Dan Akroyd, Christopher Lee, John Candy…

Anonymous

Ahhhhh…I see. Yes, I enjoyed that film too, but I’m awed that you can remember lines from it…… 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.