Fanfic: The End of Brunnis

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    dgrequeen
    Participant

This story is put up as an example. Bear with me, it’s a very, very old story I wrote before I had seen the S1 movies, so I knew next to nothing about the true story.

End of Brunnis – by dgrequeen

She went into the garden just before sunset, to watch the sky. It had dawned fine and fair, with a cool breeze that rose at mid-morning. The gauzy curtains at the gardendoorway to their bedchamber lifted in the breeze and lazily caressed them where they lay entwined. They made soft, slow love that morning, as casually as if there would always be a tomorrow and a tomorrow. Afterwards, they lingered, gazing into each other’s eyes, fingers laced together, oblivious at least for a while to the advancing sun and the shadows that moved across the doorway.

“Don’t go,” she said.

“I must,” he answered. His dark eyes held hers, and his gentle, strong hand stroked her face.

She knew he would go. Their race was old and weary, but they were still young and strong, filled with each other, filled with the future. He would go because he was a leader, a philosopher of the people, and beyond anything else, a warrior, the protector of all. And she, loving him, would open her arms and let him go.

Now she stood in her garden, as the sun slipped toward the distant sea, and she watched the sky. She had dressed herself in the jewel-like colors of her people, and carefully arranged her midnight hair in the same elaborate style she had performed for her lover that morning. Her fingertips absently brushed the tatoo on her cheek, identical to his. All around her, flowers bloomed in perfect chromatic unison with the colors of her clothing, painting the fading sunlight with sweetness. Beyond the garden wall, she heard the bell-like laughter of children.

She had wanted children. He had promised, “Soon.”

She heard a bit of song, sung in a woman’s despairing voice. Above her, the sky began to bloom with crystalline flowers. They sparkled, and then they became fireflies, darting here and there around a larger, single glimmer of light surrounded by an aura of what seemed to be shadow, if that were possible. The shadow flower sent out streaks of light, sweeping aside the fireflies and turning the sky brighter, as if dawn were coming, rather than night.

She threw her arms around herself and bowed her head in inconsolable grief. But she could not stop watching.

The air seemed to vibrate. The flowers in her garden quivered and began to fold themselves. The very ground beneath her feet resonated with a sound below hearing. Above her, the sky grew brighter, and brighter still. One by one, the fireflies vanished in little puffs of orange and gold, but it was getting harder to see them in the gathering light.

The wind was rising. It moaned over the garden wall with the sound of a million voices in mourning. She found it hard to keep to her feet.

A single firefly remained. It hung motionless, like a star, for just an instant before it hurled itself toward the shadow light and was lost.

She reached up, but it was gone. She bowed her head again, and then drew herself up and lifted her face. Calmly, she folded her hands together, in the dignity of her race. The sky was growing unbearably bright, obliterating everything, and as it enveloped her, as softly as a sigh, she sent a final, loving thought skyward:

“Kai.”

[ 18-02-2002: Message edited by: dgrequeen ]

theFrey
    Participant

Thanks dgre.

If she wanted to edit it she would just press on the little paper with a pencil to add more to her story and then post a reply noting the update. Which as I said will pop the thread to the top of the list.

[ 18-02-2002: Message edited by: thefrey ]

Anonymous

A beutifully written story dgre!!

I like the way in which you tell so much about Kai through the eyes of his girlfriend and the place where he lived.

Until the very last word we were drawn into a story which might have had nothing to do with LEXX at all. But then reading that word seemed to bring the whole story into a newer, different perspective.

It’s sort of like reading one story and remembering it differently… erm, if you see what I mean.

Flamegrape
    Participant

That was nice! I like it.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.