Fantastic Job Camelyn

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    SadGeezer
    Keymaster

Excellent news posts!

Your dedication to this is inspirational!

I hope it’s doing some good. Is there anything more I can do?

Anonymous

Thanks!

And you are doing a whole heck of a lot, just by giving me the opportunity to do these posts. I know a number of people now who use the site and the newsfeed for updates. I wish they would be a bit more vocal on this forum though!

Camelyn

bonnee
    Participant

quote:

I know a number of people now who use the site and the newsfeed for updates. I wish they would be a bit more vocal on this forum though!

Camelyn, you’ve done such a thorough job that its a little difficult to keep up with you. I’d appreciate it if you could point me in the direction of any Australian responses to the cancellation of the show. Despite being made downuder, the show’s cancellation and subsequent campaign have barely registered on our own radar

Anonymous

Hi Bonnee

On the contrary, the campaign is going strong in Australia! I know that one of the first news articles about the calcellation was carried by the Australian News wire, and you can read it in The Daily Telegraph

There have been other news articles, and even a thank you letter from Australian fans published in The Daily Telegraph, which received a special thank you from Andrew Prouse, which you can read here:
    Thank You

There is a site for the fan group known as the Australian Farscape Mafia (I kid you not) that can give you basically all the information about the campaign in Australia, as well as the details of the coverage of the cancellation of Farscape in the Australian press. A note of interest: There is a transcript of an interview with Ben Browder on Triple J radio, where he talks about the cancellation and the fan campaign. It is the first news article in the News section.

Happy surfing!

Camelyn

bonnee
    Participant

Wow, thank you so much Camelyn I note that all this coverage seems to emenate from Sydney, and I’m Melbourne based (hence my complete ignorance). I’m glad I asked you, because I would have looked like an even bigger idiot when writing up a year in review.

Again, many thanks.

bonnee
    Participant

Camelyn, do you know where I might be able to access a record of Farscape’s critical standing in ‘respectable’ conventional (offline) media sources? Apparently the show has been championed in (say) the New York Times and has featured in some ‘best off’ lists, etc. Anything you might be able to point me to would be most helpful (I intend to write up the show via the notion of Australia’s own cultural cringe towards anything sci fi and/or Australian, with particular reference to Ben’s amusing Willy Loman remark in the JJJ interview you directed me to).

Thanks in advance

[ 25-10-2002: Message edited by: bonnee ]

Anonymous

TV Guide (American weekly magazine publication) has some good critical reviews. One of the latest can be found here: http://www.tvguide.com/magazine/issues/020325/roush.asp (this dates to 3/25/02, which was published just before the final four season 3 episodes aired.)

USA Today (American national daily newspaper) also had at least one favorable review right before season 4 episodes started airing.

Both of these publications have consistently given favorable and thoughtful reviews of Farscape.

The New York Daily Herald and the Boston Herald has also published favorable notices. So has Entertainment Weekly (American magazine).

Let me know if you need research help. I don’t think some of these publications will have extensive on-line archives.

Rag
    Participant

Couldn’t agree more with the comments here, Camelyn. You have done a crackin’ job.

Before today, I knew that it was in trouble, but didn’t know any of the details. Having run through your previous thread, I now know exactly what’s going on.

I would really appreciate it if you could continue to keep us updated with any organised/timed protests that are planned. I really don’t have the time to keep track of all the forums and sites that seem to be actively protesting the cancellation, but want to chuck in my two cents when it matters, and will make a difference.

Keep up the fine work mate. Your efforts really are appreciated.

[ 28-10-2002: Message edited by: Rag ]

bonnee
    Participant

Thanks very much for those sources Grim Reaper – much appreciated. My concern, though, is not so much its critical reception in various media. I reproduced a quote from the New York Times in the Farscape Downunder thread (which was itself reproduced/encountered in the Australian newspaper), and was hoping to see it in its original context. The point I’m going to make is more polemical – namely that Australians had to be told about the merits of their show by Americans. The NYT would be preferably cited because of its international credibility – not that I think its particularly credible of course.

The sad thing is that I was as guilty as any Australian for not giving the show a chance at first – simply because it was locally produced. If it wasn’t for the Internet, I wouldn’t have known how good it became, so I intend to chastise myself by admitting my own small mindedness.

Again – thanks for going to such trouble to providing resources.

Anonymous

Frell and Dren. Really though, I had a link to a wonderful site that had a comprehensive list of Farscape related news articles, however, as luck would have it, the site is no longer up. I have contacted the webmistress to see if I missed a “We are moving” announcement, however, I haven’t heard back yet. If I understand correctly, you are looking for Farscape press not related to the Save Farscape Campaign. So, I searched my bookmarks, and can offer you the following:

Karlsweb : For everything you ever wanted to know about Farscape, but never thought to ask! Really though, it is quite comprehensive. I suggest you check out the archives for earlier press coverage.

The Tourist Guide to the Uncharted Territories : If you scroll down, you will find a section called Interviews/Press that has a number of articles that might interest you.

Farscape Obsession : Yet more news articles, including the first press release from the Jim Henson company.

Let me know if this is what you were looking for Bonnee, and if not, I’ll crack open the bookmarks folder for you again.

Camelyn
    Apologies to all for the late response again

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by bonnee:
    The sad thing is that I was as guilty as any Australian for not giving the show a chance at first – simply because it was locally produced. If it wasn’t for the Internet, I wouldn’t have known how good it became, so I intend to chastise myself by admitting my own small mindedness.

I just had to make a small comment on this, because I don’t think this is unique to yourself or to Australia. The same thing happens here in Canada. Locally produced television is almost completely ignored by Canadian viewers, at least until it receives some sort of international, or more specifically, American recognition. Then everyone is interested suddenly, and voices are raised in praise, claiming the little gem as our own wholeheartedly. I haven’t thought to deeply on this, but perhaps it is a product of our innundation by American television. It can’t really be worth watching unless it is stamped “Made in the USA”. Or perhaps this is my cynical side coming through, who knows? . I would be very interested in reading any article you may write relating to this topic, as I’m sure I will be able to draw many parallels to the Canadian TV audience.

Camelyn

bonnee
    Participant

Wow Camelyn – thanks so much for all those potential sources. I’ll try and track down what i’m looking for, and will (presumably) find things beyond my expectations.

As for reading my article, you’re more than welcome to. I’ll probably have to direct you to the journal itself (which you should be able to access via your library) or possibly can arrange to have a free copy sent out to you (for being so helpful). I’ll have to check with the editors though. Or maybe a Word version via email would be easier once its published (Jan)

I have to warn you though – you might be very disappointed. The article is not on Farscape per se, and will tell you what you’re likely to know about it anyway. Basically, I’ve calling it ‘In the Ghetto’, and am writing up a year in review that covers a range of television shows/events. I’m doing it under various headings that vary in length and type of coverage. These include Farscape’s cancellation, Crossing Over’s cross over success, the Wrestling’s sham gay wedding, West Wing’s ongoing look at terrorism, etc.

If you still think you might be interested (and are not deterred by the fact that Farscape is not the focus as such) please let me know.

[ 01-11-2002: Message edited by: bonnee ]

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.