FAO SKY Viewers – Andromeda Season 2 Eps?

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums Cult Sci Fi Series Andromeda FAO SKY Viewers – Andromeda Season 2 Eps?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    SadGeezer
    Keymaster

Ok.. having read the topic about Sky not showing the rest of season 2 and the sheer frustration shown be everyone at SKY’s broadcasting policy, I thought i’d lend a hand to all the UK Andromeda viewers.

I have the current episodes of season 2 up to 2.09 if anyone has missed any, plus I think i can get the new eps from season 2 as they air in the US, if you’re desperate to see the rest of it!
    Drop me a line if u are interested

Laters.. LGM

[ 16-01-2002: Message edited by: LoneGunMan ]

Anonymous

Heh, I was just about to offer the same. I hate piracy but if you have no access its totally unfair to fans that would purchase it if it was released.

Many times decisions like this are based off the cost to show the series. Since Andromeda has done so poorly out of the US (no personal criticism intended) it’s probably more lucrative than making a few dollars off a newer show. But its absolute bull****, its about profit margins. No doubt SKY was making money off Andromeda, its just a question of “Is there anything that can make *more* money?”

Either way the best way to show your angst is to get a group to send objects to the station. Roswell used tabasco sauce, I-Man used packets of glitter (which btw caused big probs in the US, because of the anthrax scares). Find something familar to the show, maybe fake purple Trance tails? ;p and start sending them in with complaints. Partly the reason to send objects/toys etc… is because these arent put in the “junk” pile. Anything that has some inclosures gets sent to the appropriate office and unfortunatly for them they *have* to take note.

I thought Sci-Fi USA was bad till I’ve started hearing nightmare stories about SKY recently.

Anonymous

Heh, I was just about to offer the same. I hate piracy but if you have no access its totally unfair to fans that would purchase it if it was released.

Many times decisions like this are based off the cost to show the series. Since Andromeda has done so poorly out of the US (no personal criticism intended) it’s probably more lucrative than making a few dollars off a newer show. But its absolute bull****, its about profit margins. No doubt SKY was making money off Andromeda, its just a question of “Is there anything that can make *more* money?”

Either way the best way to show your angst is to get a group to send objects to the station. Roswell used tabasco sauce, I-Man used packets of glitter (which btw caused big probs in the US, because of the anthrax scares). Find something familar to the show, maybe fake purple Trance tails? ;p and start sending them in with complaints. Partly the reason to send objects/toys etc… is because these arent put in the “junk” pile. Anything that has some inclosures gets sent to the appropriate office and unfortunatly for them they *have* to take note.

I thought Sci-Fi USA was bad till I’ve started hearing nightmare stories about SKY recently.

Anonymous

You’re not missing anything in “Alias” Interesting note about that: It actually was intended to be a spinoff of the lame teen show “Felicity”, where Felicity goes off on summer vacation somewhere and becomes a secret agent. However they gave the creator an entire original series off it.

24 is the best show on Television currently. Its only a 1-season deal as it should be, but its just brilliant. And far more intense than any R-rated movie here in the states.

First I need to qualify the statement. Televisions series do not have spontatanous growth after the first 6 weeks. Its a TV exec fact. Your fanbase after the first 2 months will remain the bulk of your viewers for the entirity of the series. There are exceptions but they are far and between. This premise is used by just about every station. For years they’ve been wondering how they can change that without changing the series too drastic. Especially in syndicated series where the fanbase is already estabilished and their goal is to get *new* viewers. This is their solution…

Sky has been accused by many of doing the same things Sci-Fi USA does, bait and switch. They buy or liscense a series, then they get sponsers, put it on for X weeks then pull it citing low ratings. The truth is they build up fanbases then pull the show creating much more buzz then would’ve been had the show ran its entire series. They also get people to spread it by word of mouth by teasing them with the beginning of the series. Its fast becoming an “old trick”

Sci-Fi USA did this with 2 shows, “Now and Again” and “Earth: Final Conflict”

They had a HUGE ad campaign pairing these 2 shows with Farscape Mon-Thur. Literally every 2 minutes there was a commercial even on regular national TV advertising this.

2 weeks into Now and Again it was pulled, citing low ratings. It was replaced with “Tales from the Crypt” apparantly that rates much higher(And Im Dolly Parton)

10 days after that EFC was also pulled, again citing low ratings, except this time there was accountability.

It was replaced with “The Outer Limits” a low rating Sci-Fi original series. No its not their original series it existed 30 years before any Sci-Fi station but oh well they are delusional.

Several websites track ratings on cable television. Not only was EFC doing well, it had higher viewership than Farscape in the slot after EFC. When Sci-Fi was presented with this they backtracked claiming it wasent low ratings they were worried about, but the dropoff in viewership to Farscape. That EFC was somehow “briging it down” and “not a good fit”.

EFC came back in early January, Now and Again is supposed to restart soon as well. I havent seen the new ratings on EFC, but if they are higher, than maybe it is the smart move. I just dispise it since it creates rifts between fanbases and the networks.

Anonymous

You’re not missing anything in “Alias” Interesting note about that: It actually was intended to be a spinoff of the lame teen show “Felicity”, where Felicity goes off on summer vacation somewhere and becomes a secret agent. However they gave the creator an entire original series off it.

24 is the best show on Television currently. Its only a 1-season deal as it should be, but its just brilliant. And far more intense than any R-rated movie here in the states.

First I need to qualify the statement. Televisions series do not have spontatanous growth after the first 6 weeks. Its a TV exec fact. Your fanbase after the first 2 months will remain the bulk of your viewers for the entirity of the series. There are exceptions but they are far and between. This premise is used by just about every station. For years they’ve been wondering how they can change that without changing the series too drastic. Especially in syndicated series where the fanbase is already estabilished and their goal is to get *new* viewers. This is their solution…

Sky has been accused by many of doing the same things Sci-Fi USA does, bait and switch. They buy or liscense a series, then they get sponsers, put it on for X weeks then pull it citing low ratings. The truth is they build up fanbases then pull the show creating much more buzz then would’ve been had the show ran its entire series. They also get people to spread it by word of mouth by teasing them with the beginning of the series. Its fast becoming an “old trick”

Sci-Fi USA did this with 2 shows, “Now and Again” and “Earth: Final Conflict”

They had a HUGE ad campaign pairing these 2 shows with Farscape Mon-Thur. Literally every 2 minutes there was a commercial even on regular national TV advertising this.

2 weeks into Now and Again it was pulled, citing low ratings. It was replaced with “Tales from the Crypt” apparantly that rates much higher(And Im Dolly Parton)

10 days after that EFC was also pulled, again citing low ratings, except this time there was accountability.

It was replaced with “The Outer Limits” a low rating Sci-Fi original series. No its not their original series it existed 30 years before any Sci-Fi station but oh well they are delusional.

Several websites track ratings on cable television. Not only was EFC doing well, it had higher viewership than Farscape in the slot after EFC. When Sci-Fi was presented with this they backtracked claiming it wasent low ratings they were worried about, but the dropoff in viewership to Farscape. That EFC was somehow “briging it down” and “not a good fit”.

EFC came back in early January, Now and Again is supposed to restart soon as well. I havent seen the new ratings on EFC, but if they are higher, than maybe it is the smart move. I just dispise it since it creates rifts between fanbases and the networks.

Anonymous

Lexxlurker, just read your previous post and was intrigued by the last bit, actually it made me laugh. So basically Sci-Fi had to back down and essentially admit that Farscape is crap and no one wants to watch it, so all their attempts to brainwash people into watching it have failed…BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
    I think their little ploy backfired big time, the more you try to force the rubbish on to the fans, the more they will dislike it, they need’nt of bothered.
    I’m so glad EFC whipped it’s ass, as for claiming that EFC was putting off viewers in regards to Farscape, more likely the Sci-Fi fans watched EFC then realised that Farscape was on next and promptly turned over!!!
    Squishy

Anonymous

Lexxlurker, just read your previous post and was intrigued by the last bit, actually it made me laugh. So basically Sci-Fi had to back down and essentially admit that Farscape is crap and no one wants to watch it, so all their attempts to brainwash people into watching it have failed…BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
    I think their little ploy backfired big time, the more you try to force the rubbish on to the fans, the more they will dislike it, they need’nt of bothered.
    I’m so glad EFC whipped it’s ass, as for claiming that EFC was putting off viewers in regards to Farscape, more likely the Sci-Fi fans watched EFC then realised that Farscape was on next and promptly turned over!!!
    Squishy

Anonymous

Well.. to put things in perspective about series airing times..

Farscape is completing Season 3 this Thursday on BBC2 – well ahead of the time that the SciFi channel have been setting for April. StarGate SG-1 season 5 has been airing on SkyOne, and the new eps aren’t getting screened in the US AT ALL at the moment.

On the otherhand.. decent viewing series such as 24 which is making it big in the US will probably never come to these shores.. maybe the same with Alias.. but the fact we’re being held back only by the money-grabbing fatcats who run the channels is my major angst! Dammit.. whats the problem with releasing a DVD series worldwide instead of each individual country..? Your answer – MONEY.

Andromeda is a good series with more of Roddenberry’s original visions, compared to the franchise that is StarTrek. It has good storylines, a good fan base.. it obviously makes viewing – and a good amout of money.. so whats the problem?
    The problem we’ve got here is demand – we want it: distribution – who’s got it: and finally, money – who’s got enough to / willing to pay to distribute it!

At least the distibutors are seeing sense with the release of the Andromeda DVD’s in the UK – I need them to find out about the 1st season which i missed completely.

@LexxLurker – what are the scare-stories you’ve been hearing about Sky ?

[ 30-01-2002: Message edited by: LoneGunMan ]

Anonymous

Well.. to put things in perspective about series airing times..

Farscape is completing Season 3 this Thursday on BBC2 – well ahead of the time that the SciFi channel have been setting for April. StarGate SG-1 season 5 has been airing on SkyOne, and the new eps aren’t getting screened in the US AT ALL at the moment.

On the otherhand.. decent viewing series such as 24 which is making it big in the US will probably never come to these shores.. maybe the same with Alias.. but the fact we’re being held back only by the money-grabbing fatcats who run the channels is my major angst! Dammit.. whats the problem with releasing a DVD series worldwide instead of each individual country..? Your answer – MONEY.

Andromeda is a good series with more of Roddenberry’s original visions, compared to the franchise that is StarTrek. It has good storylines, a good fan base.. it obviously makes viewing – and a good amout of money.. so whats the problem?
    The problem we’ve got here is demand – we want it: distribution – who’s got it: and finally, money – who’s got enough to / willing to pay to distribute it!

At least the distibutors are seeing sense with the release of the Andromeda DVD’s in the UK – I need them to find out about the 1st season which i missed completely.

@LexxLurker – what are the scare-stories you’ve been hearing about Sky ?

[ 30-01-2002: Message edited by: LoneGunMan ]

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.