Favorite Aspect s of SG-1?

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums Cult Sci Fi Series Stargate SG-1 Favorite Aspect s of SG-1?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Headgehog
    Participant

Inspired by Elfie’s pOst in the Welcome Thread.

quote:

Originally posted by elfie:
    one of *the* best things about SG-1 is the fact that they essentially live here at home on earth… then +poof+ in the blink of an eye the can trasport to all these interesting places… kinda like walking into your little brother’s room from outta the hall but without all of the nudie posters and old food boxes.

that’s my fave twist about the show, anyway.

The show taking place on present day earth is a hook for me too. The idea of wormholes is another attraction. I believe that in the future, wormholes are the only way that we can move faster then light. Unfortuatnly SG-1 in later seasons added faster then light speed travel to their show, but I was hooked by then anyway.

The show has a central story arc that goes along with it. Too many shows today have no central or even seasonal arc :cough: Enterprise :cough: The whole story with the the Tok’ra and the G’a’old, along with the greys and the first ones, makes me want to watch the next epsiode.

On the other hand, I don’t like how everyone speaks english in the series, as opposed to ancient egyptian in the movie. Sure it makes thing easier for the viewer, but the show loses something.

Anonymous

and i was just coming here to re-post that blurb from my post when i spotted this thread! lol

the fact that it’s set basically in *modern day earth* is another thing that attracted me to SG-1, the only other show that did that with any real success imho was quantum leap.

i’m a language nut so i would have *loved* to see more of the ancient egyptian language on SG-1… or them at least encountering more language barriers than they have so far. (i have missed all of the past season btw)

i think SG-1 is the *perfect* scifi show to see new languages in a Tolkien-esque way spring up. of course they’ll never go that route… but, when it first started up that was one thing i was hopeful about. DAMN the universal translator and it’s handi- dandiness. lol the SG-1 team must have “Kirk Luck”… heh.

em hotep
    elfie

Anonymous

I think the best aspect of the show is the tempered testosterone.

Someone will make some macho comments and then usually temper it with something wimpy.

The humour in SG-1 is great!

The other thing I like about the show is the style. It’s like lexx but with a bigger budget. The gizmo’s and gadgets, the car4vings and costumes of Goaoold for instance is great!

The whole show is a pleasure to look at, not like the rather sanitised and somewhat unrealistic Trek series.

Headgehog
    Participant

Ah yes, how could I forget the humor. I don’t know what season you guys over there are up to, but there’s a really funny episode called “Window of Opportunity” (S4) It’s your basic “caught in a time loop” episode, but here we see what O’Niell and Teal’c would do if they would never get in trouble for their actions

Expect that to be the first ep review I submit.

Anonymous

Well for it’s got to be the sexy Samantha Carter (Amanda Tapping), wow what a combo, beauty and intelligence.
    I’m still undecided as to who was the best O’Neill, I like Richard Dean’s portrayal because of the humour he brings to the role, but it’s certainly a far cry from Kurt Russell’s O’Neill.
    Daniel Jackson’s character hasn’t really changed that much since the film, aside from the fact he and Jack are now best friends, and he’s more adapt at military stuff. I can’t believe he’s going though, it just won’t be the same without Jack sparring with Daniel (does anyone know why he’s leaving???).
    But the Teal’c character has more humour than the rest, he’s kinda like a muscular Spock, seems very logical, but unlike Spock he does have the grin now and again. But it’s the eye-brow raising that get’s me.
    But like I said (because I’m a fella), Amanda is the shining star of the show, I think her character has evolved more than the rest, ok, truth is, I’m madly in love with her!!!
    Squishy

Anonymous

“I can’t believe he’s going though, it just won’t be the same without Jack sparring with Daniel (does anyone know why he’s leaving???).”

Leaving??????? LEAVING???????? OH DEAR LORD. MY HEART IS BREAKING!!!!

OK, now I’m just too upset to think about the good things about Stargate…

Anonymous

Hi, I’m just your long time lurker, first time poster…

I read somewhere that Michael Shanks is leaving the show because he didn’t think his character was growing anymore (or something like that).

*sniffle* *sniffle*

WAAA!!!

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by Draggy:
    Hi, I’m just your long time lurker, first time poster…

I read somewhere that Michael Shanks is leaving the show because he didn’t think his character was growing anymore (or something like that).

*sniffle* *sniffle*

WAAA!!!

If that’s the case, then I’d have too agree, but then none of them seem to be growing.
    We haven’t learnt much about Jack’s, Sam’s or Daniel’s private life, Sha’re (his wife) is gone and there doesn’t seem to be anything left for him.
    But then Sam doesn’t seem to have a lot left to pursue, seems to have this on-off love interest with Jack, but it never seems to go anywhere, also these other fleeting love moments.
    I can only remember Jack’s son being the only personal thing with him.
    And Teal’c seems to have forgotten Tulac, and doesn’t seem to grow as a character, aside from his humour becoming more apparent, actually I always thought Teal’c would turn out to be like Mr T in the A-Team!!!
    And they all seem like friends, but not close one’s, more like very good colleagues.
    I think the programme isn’t really trying to show other sides to the characters, mainly because there’s a danger the audience would lose interest.
    It seems to have remained purely a sci-fi programme with no lingering drama’s of whether the character’s will fall in love (although Jack and Teal’c is still a possibility!!!), and doesn’t get caught up in the personal aspects like other shows…which I think works well for it, to an extent.
    Don’t get me wrong, I like the characters as they are, but then I suppose the actors might feel differently, but Shanks could’ve held out for another two seasons, it’s not as if he’s a big player in Hollywood.
    Squishy

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.