Favorite "Making of"’s

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums Other Forums The Pub Favorite "Making of"’s

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    pet
    Participant

The thing I love about DVD’s are the commentaries and the “making of” segments. Up until recently, my favorites were the Simpsons/ Futurama commentaries with their many digs at Fox and the characters sometimes doing their own commentary, and the Farscape interviews… D’Argo giggling? What’s not to like?

This, however, blew me away: Terry Gilliam’s ”Lost in La Mancha”[/url]

I have read Don Quixote about a dozen times. What can I say? There’s something about a story in which the assistant drinks a fake healing potion and explodes from both ends at once that just grabs me.

Anyhoo, I’ve always been a fan of Gilliam’s work. He has such a brilliant, distinctive sense of imagery. Who better to bring this story to life? I was ecstatic when I found out he was finally adapting it for the screen as “The Man Who Killed Don Quixote”! And with Johnny Depp in it, no less! BUT….

it was not to be. Fortunately, his unrealised dream was retooled into a documentary called “Lost in La Mancha”. Has anyone else seen it? If not, and you’re a fan, I highly reccomend you find it. This is about the worst possible series of mishaps to befall a production ever. If it wasn’t true, the script would have been rejected as too unrealistic.

A major partner pulls out, the star gets a prostate infection and can’t ride his horse, the only sound stage left turns out to be a warehouse and a hailstorm of biblical proportions not only floods the production, but leaves previous footage unuseable as the desert starts to bloom. Yikes!

Is it me, or could this only happen to a former Python? ๐Ÿ˜›

Anyone else have any favorites?

Pet

Anonymous

For me it would be the making of Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy available on the DVD. I thought it was facinating and pretty realistic – even to the point where the cast are getting anoyed as they do take after take (of a fairly boring scene).

Also, the writer explains a lot about the show and his part in it (ie. did you know that the dude who walked naked into the sea (with his digital watch on) was non other than the great man himself (Douglas Adams)!?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.