Favorite sci-fi toys growing up

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums General Sci Fi General Sci Fi Stuff Favorite sci-fi toys growing up

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Aeryn Crichton
    Participant

Well, I had lots of favorite toys growing up. I had probably all of the Star Wars figures and vehicles ever made (and still do have them). I had a lot of Vultron figures (if you would consider that sci-fi). I had a few transformers. I had lots of Thundercats, He-Man and She-Ra figures (again, if you consider that sci-fi). My sis and I would use our Barbies to play V and Supergirl (we took Astronaut Barbie’s outfit to make Diana from V and a red skirt for Supergirl). And, if you saw me mention the cartoon Jem before, my sis and I had just about every Jem doll that was made. But, I also had a few non sci-fi toys that I loved. For one, I had these little doll like figures called the Littles (not to be confused with the cartoon) that you could get a doll house and doll house furniture for. And, who could forget the Cabbage Patch kids. Oh, yes, my mom was one of those crazed parents who went to stores before they opened just to get some for me, my sis, and my bro. And, I had several Care Bear figures and stuffed animals, My Little Ponies, and Pound Puppies and Purries. Oh, childhood.

——————
    “I love you” “I know” – Princess Leia and Han Solo
    “First you wanna kill me, now you wanna kiss me, blow” – Ash from Army of Darkness
    “Darling, you idiot!” – Lum from Urusei Yatsura
    “Who is this Anya!? Is she prettier than me!?” Xander’s sock puppet friend from Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Anonymous
    Inactive

Weell.. I had Starwars, Transformers, Zoids, He-Man (I was in the club too) some Centurion stuff, Gobots, lots of generic robot toys, flower fairies, my little pony (two older sisters, no brothers) etc. Still got most of it..

crusader
    Participant

Well I got mostly Turtles and He-man (If hes sci-fi) and DuckTales, Transformers, Batman and so on!!!

My parents dident like that I played with toys so they did everything to despose of it!!! They berred them, frue them in the garbetch, hid them, gave them to ouer nabers but I always got them back!!! Oh woth fun I had with them!!!

——————
    I am the crusader

Aeryn Crichton
    Participant

Yeah, luckily, my parents knew how much I treasured my Star Wars stuff, and they never sold it. But, they did get ahold of my He-Man and She-Ra stuff. They gave some of the He-Man stuff to my cousin, and sold the rest of it and the She-Ra stuff at the flea market. Oh, I thought of another toy that I had, but I cannot recall what it was called. They were these Robot guys, and they had arms that were like dryer tubing (do you know what I mean by that). I think that one of them was called Maxwell.

——————
    “First you wanna kill me, now you wanna kiss me, blow” – Ash from Army of Darkness
    “Who is this Anya!? Is she prettier than me!?” Xander’s sock puppet friend from Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Anonymous

Wow, this is weird in retrospect but, for as long as I’ve been a scifi fan, I’ve never had any scifi toys. I only acquired a “Wolverine” figure last year; otherwise, none. I usually gravitated towards comics, posters, books, even trading cards. We had lots of science kits and scopes and sets, but no SF toys. I never realized that until I read your question!

——————
    “Time begins then time ends, and then time begins once again.”

crusader
    Participant

I feal sorry fore you and I will pray that your life will continue in a good way anyway!!!

——————
    I am the crusader

Anonymous

The only toy I can remember was a Thunderbird Two toy, god I loved that thing!

But that’s the only one I had I think.

——————

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by crusader:
    I feal sorry fore you and I will pray that your life will continue in a good way anyway!!!

Ah, thanks Crusader darlin’! **gives crusader big bear hug** Now don’t you go feelin’ sorry for ole BC. I may not have had scifi toys but I did have other toys as a child(and, as an adult ). Plus, I was lucky enough to have had a dad who was sorta like a grown-up toy. He’d take us fishin’, huntin’, campin’, swimmin’ bikin’, you name it; he was fun dad!

——————

crusader
    Participant

Then your lucky!!!

My dad never had time!!! Always work!!!

I always spended my free time at home!!! (We live in the country)

I cant remember one time we spended doing something fun!!!

——————
    I am the crusader

Christine Carroll
    Participant

Speaking of SF toys and Star Wars…. I know this isn’t the kind of site to do this but…. is anyone interested in buying some Star Wars ?? I got every book,comic,toy,card,glass,taco bell,etc toy there is.. also some sighed pics and one of a kind stuff…. some stuff from 77′ to 90′ and every thing from 90’to now. I’m moving in the near future and have TWO attics full of Star Wars stuff I want to get rid of ….cheap… like yard sale cheap… anyway… if anyones interested please post me a note here or E-mail me at [email protected] Thanks !!

——————
    “to air is human” or is it “the air is human” ?? matt Gideon “Crusade”

Anonymous

That is a bummer, Crusader. But, the important thing is he(and, your mom) had you and you’re here hangin’ with us!
    Christine, I believe there is a section of the forum that should be right up your alley. The swap and auction section is an area where you can post your stuff, get it seen and, hopefully, get it sold.

——————

crusader
    Participant

Yeah!!! I cant belive that I havent been activ in an forum before!!! (I always thought that they where dull, dull, dull!!!)
    I used to chat alot a cupple of years agow but I go 50 pepol to mail to and since my memorys not that good I forgot how they where and lost contaked with al exeped one (later she moved to ryssia so now there are non)!
    Whell I starded to lose intrest in chating (Like every els in my age did) and starded surfing insted!!! (On the net, not in sweden )

——————
    I am the crusader

Anonymous

I spent many of my formative years watching the likes of Transformers. You can never get enough Transformers.

——————
    Studies show that alcohol is the leading cause of inexplicable rug-burns to the forehead.

crusader
    Participant

Yeah!!! I used to wotsh it al the time!!!

I have 2 of the videos!!!

(Al my toyplaying was around that show!!! (But with Turtles) )

——————
    I am the crusader

Aeryn Crichton
    Participant

This may seem strange, but I had so much fun playing with dominos when I was younger. When my sis, brother, and I would visit my MawMaw and PawPaw, they didn’t really have any toys at their house. So, we used their dominos to amuse ourselves. We would build parking garages and stuff like that for our Matchbox cars to drive through. Did anyone else do that, or were we just weird?

——————

Anonymous

So you played with building blocks. Nothing really special about that.
    Does anyone remember Rocklords?

——————
    Studies show that alcohol is the leading cause of inexplicable rug-burns to the forehead.

Aeryn Crichton
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by CBrate:
    So you played with building blocks. Nothing really special about that.
    Does anyone remember Rocklords?

They weren’t building blocks. They were dominoes like the game dominoes. And, I thought they were pretty damn special. Some of my best memories of my PawPaw came from playing with them . Oh, but no, I don’t remember Rocklords.

——————

Anonymous

I dread asking the obvious but I must say it. What is this ‘PawPaw’ you refer to?

——————

Christine Carroll
    Participant

quote:

I dread asking the obvious but I must say it. What is this ‘PawPaw’ you refer to?

CBrate you are being very rude to Aeryn …I’m quessing that PawPaw is her Grandfather…. I call mine pop or poppy …. LAY OFF OF AERYN will you !!!!!!!!

——————

“Look for me by the moonlight-
    Watch for me by moonlight-
    I’ll come to thee by the moonlight,
    though Hell should bar the way” – The Highwayman
    Excerpt from “Exquisite Corpse” by Poppy Brite
    “Late in the year,New Orleans still has its hot days. In the slave quaters, Jay and Tran blossomed like the giant stinking carrion-flowers that grow in humid jungles. Their ravaged abdomens swelled and burst like red-petals, a jubliee of rot. Their putrescent fluids pooled on the concrete floor and in the hollows of their disintegrating bodies. …Their faces, c**** and B**** grew into shapeless masses of blackened flesh. Swollen tongues like ball gags forced their jaws wide. Organs tumbled out of their bodies like distended winebags. From their decomposition rose wisps of steam and soft wet sounds of gaseous intimacy….tran fell out of his binding straps and melted slowly into Jay’s ribcage. A large, faintly iridescent stain ate up the concrete floor around them. Their eyes were black caverns.They gave birth to worms, generation after generation, until their bodies were covered as if in a living blanket. Soon they were picked clean, their bones an ivory sculpture-puzzle shining in the dark, waiting to tell their mute love story.

Aeryn Crichton
    Participant

Yes, PawPaw is what I refer to my now deceased grandfather Burdette. I don’t know where I got it from. Maybe it was just easier for me to say when I was a kid. A lot of people over here (or maybe it’s just in Southern West Virginia) refer to their grandparents by this. I know that it must sound kinda redneckish, but it’s just an affectionate nickname. No hard feelings !

——————

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by Christine Carroll:

CBrate you are being very rude to Aeryn …I’m quessing that PawPaw is her Grandfather…. I call mine pop or poppy …. LAY OFF OF AERYN will you !!!!!!!!

[/B][/QUOTE]

I can understand the building blocks comment being misinterpreted as rude but the pawpaw one? I genuinely do not know to what or whom she was referring to. Maybe its because I’m not from the grand ol’ US of A. Maybe it isn’t. Maybe I’ve the IQ of an amoeba and missed a few lines in above posts. Pawpaw is a fruit down here in Australia. Do you play with fruit? I don’t, so it puzzled me to hear her say “Some of my best memories of my PawPaw came from playing with them”. Does that compute?

——————

Christine Carroll
    Participant

Its not the question its self it’s the way you worded it… The TONE of the question to me.. was very rude… To me it sounded like you were saying “what is this stupid/dumb thing?? anyway thats what thought anyway…..

——————

“Look for me by the moonlight-
    Watch for me by moonlight-
    I’ll come to thee by the moonlight,
    though Hell should bar the way” – The Highwayman
    Excerpt from “Exquisite Corpse” by Poppy Brite
    “Late in the year,New Orleans still has its hot days. In the slave quaters, Jay and Tran blossomed like the giant stinking carrion-flowers that grow in humid jungles. Their ravaged abdomens swelled and burst like red-petals, a jubliee of rot. Their putrescent fluids pooled on the concrete floor and in the hollows of their disintegrating bodies. …Their faces, c**** and B**** grew into shapeless masses of blackened flesh. Swollen tongues like ball gags forced their jaws wide. Organs tumbled out of their bodies like distended winebags. From their decomposition rose wisps of steam and soft wet sounds of gaseous intimacy….tran fell out of his binding straps and melted slowly into Jay’s ribcage. A large, faintly iridescent stain ate up the concrete floor around them. Their eyes were black caverns.They gave birth to worms, generation after generation, until their bodies were covered as if in a living blanket. Soon they were picked clean, their bones an ivory sculpture-puzzle shining in the dark, waiting to tell their mute love story.

Anonymous

Apology accepted. And.. uh I’m sorry I guess.

——————

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by Aeryn Crichton:
    we used their dominos to amuse ourselves. We would build parking garages and stuff like that for our Matchbox cars to drive through. Did anyone else do that, or were we just weird?

Nah, Aeryn, not weird at all (says the one who played with grape stems ). I used to get yelled at for taping dominoes into permanent structures and designs. (Once I tried to glue them with that thick paste glue that grade-schoolers love to eat.) They were my parents’ and I didn’t even know they were a kind of game! I used to corral horses in ’em. (yes, grape stem horses )

——————
    “mitaku oyasin”

Aeryn Crichton
    Participant

You know Black Cloud, my brother used to get into such trouble when he was younger for destroying things. He would take apart toasters, radios, etc. to see what they were made of. I don’t think that he was very good at putting them back together, though . I didn’t take things apart, I just destroyed them. My sis still hasn’t forgiven me for cutting of the head of her Luke Skywalker figure (the original one). And, I did something to her Hoth Han figure too.

——————

Anonymous

Oh, my goodness, your brother’s probably thinking of how much money he could have raked in with those original figures! Yikes, cut off the head??? I cut the hand off of one of my brother’s GI Joes and he almost eviscerated me!

********************BlackCloud***************

Anonymous

Uh, I mean your sister! Darn, I hate not being able to edit!

*******************BlackCloud****************

Anonymous

Then register. Believe me we are the last people on earth that the world’s governments keep tabs on, not that there’s a world wide conspiracy to catalogue every human on the planet…I mean hypothetically, if there was one…er.

I think I’ll shut up now.

*cue the sound of a hand slapping CBrate upside the head* Whoops! That was BlackCloud. I’m such a dunce

[This message has been edited by CBrate (edited February 20, 2001).]

Anonymous

LOL!!!
    I’m afraid to say that most of my toys up until thirteen years of age (when I could buy my own) were girlie girl craft oriented kits. Not that I didn’t have fun with them.

I just grabbed my brother’s cast off Star Trek dolls – heh..the BOYS got them, but I “inherited” them later!
    I was most ****ed off when I discovered that they weren’t anatonically correct..
    *Little Rustam tearing the pants off Mr. Spock and groaning at the blue plastic underwear*

But then I collected Star Wars cards… I had a wall in my room covered with every clipping that I could find. It was a masterpiece. Sadly, like a kid, I didn’t understand that Elmer’s glue was not the thing to be sticking them to the wall with.
    *ARG!*

And then came the models. I built the Galileo Seven, and the K-7 Space Station.
    Then I started reading. All my money went to the new James Blish or a Photonovel on a Star Trek episode.

After that? The rest of my money was spent on seeing all the ST movies that I could get, going to cons… *heh*

——————
    “We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars…” Oscar Wilde

[This message has been edited by Rust (edited February 23, 2001).]

Anonymous

quote:

Then register. Believe me we are the last people on earth that the world’s governments keep tabs on, not that there’s a world wide conspiracy to catalogue every human on the planet…I mean hypothetically, if there was one…er.

I think I’ll shut up now.

*cue the sound of a hand slapping CBrate upside the head* Whoops! That was BlackCloud. I’m such a dunce

[This message has been edited by CBrate (edited February 20, 2001).]

Hah! That’s alright. I dunce out on a regular basis, CB. I got shut out when the board went haywire and haven’t been able to access my acct since. But, you were right about registering; as you can see, I’ve taken your good advice! And, who said there’s no conspiracy to catalogue us? I had an MRI recently and there was a ‘tiny metal shard of unknown origin’ in it. A microchip perhaps? Then, again, that guy did have a bullet in his head for years without knowin’ it…maybe I’ve been shot! Hah!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.