Female James Bond

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums Other Forums The Pub Female James Bond

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Flamegrape
    Participant

mandara k brought up this idea in Writer’s forum:

quote:

Originally posted by mandara k:
    007 never looked so good except for the split ends.

Finally, a man who gives us the Bond man. I don’t see why women can’t remake Bond into a chick called Bonny and we get to see a lot of hot males do…. oh manly things. Why can’t women drive cool cars, play with all types of gadgets and fool around with foreign spy men and yes blow up stuff. It’s not fair.

It just so happens that one of the most popular videogames out today is based upon this exact concept. In fact, the game has been so successful that a sequal is being released:
    http://nolf2.sierra.com

However, the drawback is that the game itself is probably geared towards males. There is probably no appeal for women. (i.e. no “hot men”). But judge for yourself.

Has anyone played this game?

Anonymous

quote:

Why can’t women drive cool cars, play with all types of gadgets and fool around with foreign spy men and yes blow up stuff. It’s not fair.

EMMA PEEL!!!!
    Cooler than James Bond could ever hope to be.

elmey

mandara k
    Participant

Actually, I’ll ask one of my many bros about it. He’s got me hooked on that Vice City game right now. The Tech channel calls it “The SIMS with a broken beer bottle” and that’s pretty close to the truth.

Emma Peel is close but not fully independent of the male influence.

mandara k
    Participant

Hell, Dora the Explorer gets better treatment than women in Sci-Fi.

Anonymous

If you want female James Bond, then go watch….

TOTALLY SPIES!

Yes, I know it’s a cartoon geared at preteen girls, but take it from this straight young male adult (I’m writing all this to counter certain suspicions you may have concerning me), it’s one of the nest cartoons on right now (next to Samurai Jack, that is).

mandara k
    Participant

Wot’s a nest cartoon? Oh, a best cartoon. I think you were talking about a cartoon geared for very small kids and then you said “Samarai Jack” and i knew I was wrong. My bad.

Kim Possible is not that bad either and Power Puff girls is ok, but no fer real stuff?

Anonymous

NOLF(No One Lives Forever)
    is a great game!

The beutiful Cate Archer is a great action character!!

So is Lara Croft in Tomb Raider!!!

I cant really see how you mean by “the game is geared toward men´´

90% of the people who play computer/console games is male…
    So there aint no market for games with nude men….

But a female James Bond, Id watch it!

Flamegrape
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Dragula:
    I cant really see how you mean by “the game is geared toward men´´

90% of the people who play computer/console games is male…
    So there aint no market for games with nude men….

That’s a shame because there are more female computer users than ever. But the people who are making computer games were raised in the old school thought of making games for men. The female market is starving. Starving to death, I theorize. There’s about one game that is monstrously popular with women and that’s The Sims. I read a computer games magazine every month and there are endless articles about games that are almost always geared towards men. Then I turn the page and read the sales charts and what has always been at the top of the charts for the last several years? The Sims and it’s add-on packs, that’s what.

So I have to disagree with your assessment that 90% of the people playing videogames are women. Although I can’t back it up, I’d say it is more along the lines of 50/50. So that means there is a vast, huge, amazingly underdeveloped market for computer games that appeal to women.

Rag
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Flamegrape:

But the people who are making computer games were raised in the old school thought of making games for men.

I disagree with this point. I don’t think it is the developers or the conceptual creative teams. I think it is the financial backers, and I’m guessing that this also applies in Hollywood, but on a much bigger scale. I believe that the people who hold the purse strings are the chauvinists. They are the ones that give the project the final go ahead, and if they don’t think they will get a suitable return on their investment they will shut it down. If they think that the male adolescent is their target audience and will provide bigger sales they will tend to go for projects that will support this.

The games world and the TV companies seem to be getting the message slowly, but Hollywood is entrenched. The backers are in it for the cash only and still believe that the ‘sex sells’ motto only applies to blokes.

I think a female ‘Bond’ type character would sell, but only if the production company put the same money and care into the film. The chances of this may be better than they ever were, but I’m still not gonna hold my breath.

Way to make myself sound like a hardcore capitalist.

Anonymous

Okay, so we have the sims….
    And the SimCity games and so on…

But the big sellers!!!
    The games that sell in 20-30 million copies!

Those games contain violence, wich sells!
    But women dont have a lot of interest in that…

Sure, there are games that are directly pointed to women, but they never sell very good, so they are dropped….

And that there is many female computer users right now. Yeah, thats true.
    But if we are talking GAMES.Not very many.
    Even though female computer game clans are starting to appear everywhere, wich is superb….

There is alot of webpages and stuff directed towards women, as well as other software stuff….but no games….

It feels like Im way off topic…..What can I say….IM HIGH!

Anonymous

From salon.com:

“Halle Berry’s getting a lot of press for her upcoming role as the booty-kickin’ Bond babe Jinx in the upcoming Bond flick “Die Another Day.” There’s now much talk of the character being spun off into her own big-screen spy series.

Berry’s fanning the flames, telling E! she’d “do it in a heartbeat,” and certainly the rest of us might relish seeing her display her questionable driving skills in the rumored flicks’ requisite car-chase scenes.”

I still prefer Emma Peel.

elmey

mandara k
    Participant

I am glad they are attempting to change a few things, but i think you are right about the financiers of most everything that has backing. my mind conjures up a room full of middle-aged men in suits with wives in historical societies and garden clubs and on the other hand young mistresses bleeding them dry. (I’m somewhat of a cynic too)

I’m a little surprised at what is considered fine acting anymore. Speaking of Halle Berry; I think she’s a good actress, not great, but good although Monster’s Ball did not impress me.
    And Laura Croft, Tomb Raider was an okay flick if they would have developed Laura’s character some more and put in more shower scenes with that guy. Again, it came down to be geared for guys otherwise it would have had a little more work; a little more thought put into it.

Rag
    Participant

Yeah, heard that on the radio yesterday. Looks like you’ve got your wish granted Mandara. Assuming they do it right. God I’m a cynic!

Azrael
    Participant

Unfortunately, with the exception of the first Tomb Raider game, Lara Croft has been constantly “modified” to make her more attractive towards men. Therefore it was only a natural progression to do the same with the film.

However, I am all for an all kickin all killin super-spy babe. You go girls!!

Az.
    Easily pleased.

mandara k
    Participant

Actually, I prefer being “Pierce”-d by movies like The Thomas Crowne Affair which is Bond-like but more story, less gadgets and sorry guys, less gorgeous chicks.

Rene Russo is not a fave actress of mine but she was a good adversary for the ever suave Brosnan. IMHO, Brosnan is the runner up in Bond flicks; no one can match Sean Connery!

Azrael
    Participant

I still say Timothy Dalton was the best bond…he was mean…the real grass roots, hardcore get things done kinda bond…

But, for suave sophistication, well its gotta be the old Sean Connery, right?? RIGHT??

Az..
    Basildon Bond 002.5

[ 16-11-2002: Message edited by: Azrael ]

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.