Fiction

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    DalekTek790
    Participant

At the risk of opening another Pandora’s box (my question was what started the clone fiction wars, and I have been partially responsible for several off-topic battles in the recent past), should members should be allowed to post original works of fiction on the SadBoard? Should there be a forum dedicated to fan fiction?

I don’t really have an opinion on this, just in the spirit of the new section I’m bringing in a topic for debate that I know will generate a lot of posts on each side.

There are a lot of things I could say about the leviathan thread that currently dwarfs the rest of this forum’s discussion, but I don’t want to get involved.

——————

DalekTek790,
    or: The Modern Epimetheus

Flamegrape
    Participant

I’ve been saying for a while that there ought to be a fan fiction forum here at SadBoard. Clearly, fans like to write the stuff. There should be a proper catagorical place for it. Heck, there’s a vague chance I might even have a go at writing the stuff.

dgrequeen
    Participant

I’m not going to fan the flames of controversy by offering an opinion on whether you should or shouldn’t do it , but I will say that if you decide to start a fanfic forum here, you’ll find it becomes habit-forming. People have surprised themselves with the creativity they find inside themselves, once they start writing.

Flamegrape
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by dgrequeen:
    I’m not going to fan the flames of controversy by offering an opinion on whether you should or shouldn’t do it , but I will say that if you decide to start a fanfic forum here, you’ll find it becomes habit-forming. People have surprised themselves with the creativity they find inside themselves, once they start writing.

I think that’s great! Another bonus is the organisational capabilities of this nice bulletin board here at SadBoard. People could add and edit chapters and keep them all in one thread. And newly updated stories would always remain at the top of the list.

Anonymous

I’m all for the idea.

However, the moderator of such a forum would have one helluva job on their hands. It certainly wouldn’t be me (since I don’t really know much about fanfic). I’d be keen to see a fanfics forum and possibly (if it’s popular) a fanfics catagory with lots of forums for each of the types of fiction.

I like the idea of catering for lots of different sci fi tastes.

So, if there is enough interest, I’ll set up the new forum(s)

Flamegrape
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by SadGeezer:
    I’m all for the idea.

However, the moderator of such a forum would have one helluva job on their hands. It certainly wouldn’t be me (since I don’t really know much about fanfic). I’d be keen to see a fanfics forum and possibly (if it’s popular) a fanfics catagory with lots of forums for each of the types of fiction.

I like the idea of catering for lots of different sci fi tastes.

So, if there is enough interest, I’ll set up the new forum(s)

I’ll volunteer for the job as moderator. Or maybe partner with someone else?

Flamegrape
    Participant

Well, now I’m concerned about this idea. Just today I’ve just witnessed some posts over at SciFi.Com/Lexx that were seething with hatred. I passed along the idea to them that SadGeezer could open a nice forum dedicated soley to fan fiction. It didn’t go over well and there were threats of flooding the SadBoard with fan fiction. How would such floods be handled here at SadBoard? Also, it was perceived that “we” were trying to move APEC off SciFi.Com/Lexx and control them or something. I was also accused of slandering APEC and fan fiction in general here at SadBoard. (And all you guys know that’s not true, that I’ve been trying to be neutral and help smooth things out.)

In particular, the views of elfieLUVsKai should be taken into serious consideration:

quote:

Originally posted by elfieLUVSkai at SciFi.Com/Lexx:
    SUBJECT: Wow… now EVERYONE will be able to
    post their stories at Sad’s and turn it into a purple clone of scifi!!! D Woohoo!!!!!!

Come on ladies, we can post the stories here AND there for their viewing pleasure, right? LoL ;o) Apparently… they can’t live without us posting it there, too.

Ok, the 50 or so story posting KT members are pretty much against posting it at Sad’s or anywhere else… and we ::cough:: make up nearly the entire Lexx scifi fic posting community… so… 8o) You gotta be damn stupid to still be deluding yourself into thinking you can move it to Sads, buddy. LoL!

I think APEC WOULD get their own site before moving it there at this point. We already have a forum, and could easily make a public one of our own… we don’t *need* Sad’s site to post stories! Get it through your heads people! I just read that you are ticking off the Farscape BB here too and good lord you don’t need to encourage those ppl to come cause trouble at Sad’s… you don’t *even* WANT to know. Sad doesn’t need that crap and I hope OUR crap is over soon because he doesn’t need that *either*.

I’m done posting about it there (hopefully) because the Sad ppl don’t get what the REAL X/vyX/APEC argument is *ACTUALLY* about and you all never will. It’s about hurt feelings and angry ppl… get a clue.

I guess we better listen to the lady?

[ 19-11-2001: Message edited by: Flamegrape ]

Anonymous

I like the idea.

Well, you could just try a trial run…

Or limit posting fics to people with a certain post count, and/or only registered users of Sadboard, so people couldn’t come here and crash it…
    Or ‘no clone fiction’,

Or you increase the time a poster is flood controalled for, so a person could make one contribution a day….

Or making people adhere to rules about the content…..

Or perhaps make somthing like the ‘screenplay’, a moderator would start a story, and people could only add to that story….you could e-mail a mod with story ideas…

I think it’s a kewl idea, I love to write, but I’ve hardly ever written fiction and I’m self consious of what I put on paper, but I could write in somthing like this…

Anonymous

I think it’s great that you are keen to have a go and I’m sure that other fanfic writers would encourage you.

In terms of setting up a fanfic forum on SadBOARD goes, I’ve already offered a forum and was advised that it might not be a good idea because there are well recognosed forums for posting fanfic already.

I’m really happy to take advice on the subject and keen to hear the opinions of people like dgrequeen (who’s been a member of SadBOARD for a very long time!)

Anonymous

oops, sorry dgrequeen. I’ve just spotted that you HAD ventured an opinion ๐Ÿ™‚

Headgehog
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by SadGeezer:
    I think it’s great that you are keen to have a go and I’m sure that other fanfic writers would encourage you.

In terms of setting up a fanfic forum on SadBOARD goes, I’ve already offered a forum and was advised that it might not be a good idea because there are well recognosed forums for posting fanfic already.

I’m really happy to take advice on the subject and keen to hear the opinions of people like dgrequeen (who’s been a member of SadBOARD for a very long time!)

I personally don’t care if FF, CF or CT is posted here. So long as it’s in its own forum.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.