For those of you going to Vegas (long)

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums General Sci Fi Sci Fi Conventions For those of you going to Vegas (long)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    dgrequeen
    Participant

for the LexxVegasCon this upcoming weekend, I have some info on transport, tipping, and general, that you may or may not find useful.

Transportation: The hotels all have shuttles to and from the airport, if you decide not to rent a car.

Citizens Area Transit (CAT) now operates 40 scheduled routes throughout the Las Vegas Valley. Buses run 5:30am – 1:30am, 7 days a week. 24-hour service is available on selected routes.

Car rentals: you’ll see them at the airport, but if you want a rental car, you should already have reserved one.

Advantage Rent-a-car 386-5775
    Alamo Rent-a-car 733-8886
    Allstate Car Rental 736-6147
    Avis Rent-a-car 261-5595
    Brooks Car Rental 735-3344/868-4062
    Budget 736-1212
    Dollar Rent-a-car 739-8408
    Enterprise Rent-a-car 795-8842
    Hertz 736-4900
    National Car Rental 261-5391
    Thrifty Car Rental 944-2210/795-0800

Limousines: available for hourly rental around town. The average price for a town car is $25, a basic limo runs about $33-$55, and a super stretch averages $60-$80 per hour. Many of the limousine companies also provide shuttle service from McCarran International Airport. Fares average $3.50 to the Strip hotels and $4.75 to the downtown area.

Admiral Limousine Inc. 221-5555
    Ambassador Limousine 362-6200
    Bell Trans 385-5466
    CLS Transporation 740-4545
    Executive Coach & Carriage 367-7774
    Fox Limousine 597-0400
    LV Limo 739-8414
    On Demand Sedan 876-2222
    Presidential Limo 731-5577

Monorail: Visitors may take a monorail between the MGM Grand and Bally’s daily 9:00am – 1:00am. Other monorails on the Strip connect Treasure Island and the Mirage, Bellagio and the Monte Carlo, and the Excalibur, Luxor and Mandalay Bay Resorts.

Additionally there are rental services for scooters, electric golf carts, and also plenty of taxis.

Tipping advice:

Bartenders – $1-$2 per drink. For a round of drinks (for four people or more), add a few more dollars.

Cocktail waitresses – $1-$2 each time you’re given a refreshing beverage.

Hotels – Bellmen and doormen: $2-$3 for each bag they handle; $5 or more for excellent service. Housekeepers: $1-$2 a day at the end of your stay. Pool attendant: $1-$2; Room-service attendants 15-20 percent. Valets: $1-$3 per car; $5 or more for excellent service.

Restaurants: Servers: the usual 15-20 percent applies; buffet servers: $1 per head when they bring drinks to the table.

Transportation – Taxi drivers: $1-$2 for a fare less than $10, but 15-20 percent if more than $10, depending on if the driver helps you with your bags. Tour guides: $2-$10 depending on the length of your tou and how helpful and informative your guide is.

Avoid the street vendors at all costs. They offer you money and free show tickets, but what they want is to get you into a high-pressure sales presentation that will take up four or five hours of your precious vacation time.

The hotels will all have tour brochures with maps in the lobbies.

Have fun. Try not to lose your shirt.

theFrey
    Participant

Thanks Dgr!

I wish you could have made it with us!

I am much looking forward to meeting the first group on Friday at 2pm in the MGM Rainforest Cafe and at 7pm for the later arrivals at the MGM Betty Boop Lounge.

Hawaii Kai, is possibly the lastest arrival on Friday at 11pm.

Any idea where we would like to meet up on Saturday evening for the local Lexxians that might not meet up with us on Friday?

Looking forward to meeting everyone!

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by thefrey:
    Thanks Dgr!

I wish you could have made it with us!

I am much looking forward to meeting the first group on Friday at 2pm in the MGM Rainforest Cafe and at 7pm for the later arrivals at the MGM Betty Boop Lounge.

Hawaii Kai, is possibly the lastest arrival on Friday at 11pm.

Any idea where we would like to meet up on Saturday evening for the local Lexxians that might not meet up with us on Friday?

Looking forward to meeting everyone!

I dunno, maybe someplace in the Luxor?? I think it’s as close to the “King Tut Hotel” as we’ll get.

Anonymous

I wish you all luck. Take care on the trip and may you all have fun. I hope that those of you going will also be attending UNCON2002 in Halifax. I’d go to vegas, but my funds are much smaller then desired.

Mark

FX
    Participant

updated meeting times and places from frey;

friday; MGM at the coffeehouse, 9am
    MGM at the rainforest, 2pm
    MGM at the betty boop, 7pm

and for saturday;

MGM at the coffeehouse at 10am
    Luxor, king tut lounge at 7pm

enjoy, all of you, and don’t do anything we wouldn’t do!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.