Fractal Cores? Time Travel? You got it!

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums Other Forums Science Faction Fractal Cores? Time Travel? You got it!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    SadGeezer
    Keymaster

http://science.howstuffworks.com/time-travel.htm/printable
    OR HERE

Been meaning to post this for quite some time but I always lose the link. Finally stumbled upon it again today, take a peek!

It’s a great read, and open for some great arguements.

Personally I don’t believe in FTL. 0 Kelvin and the “Speed of Light” roughly 300,000 clicks per second are both unreachable. They are “Absolute Limits” or ceilings for Matter/Energy. One being the absolute lowest, and the absolute highest. Light does *not* travel at the speed of light, but it comes close. At the true speed of light, time stands still, and as such certain fundamental laws would be broken. At the true speed of Absolute Zero, or 0 Kelvin, time also stands still as molecules stop moving altogether. Very similar, I’ve always wondered if there’s more of a correlation than people realize. Given the time and money I’d love to run near 0 Kelvin particles through an accellerator just to see what would happen. Id imagine you could come damn close to stopping entropy in a single particle.

However this article does not deal with such menial science as FTL and AZ! It talks about Kerr Holes, also known as “Fractal Cores” in LEXX, it also talks about Wormhole and Hyperspace travel, definitely worth a read even if it is all just theory!

Headgehog
    Participant
    ”LexxLurker” wrote:

At the true speed of Absolute Zero, or 0 Kelvin, time also stands still as molecules stop moving altogether. Very similar, I’ve always wondered if there’s more of a correlation than people realize.

Sorta, but not really. At absolute zero, there is no thermal energy. Translation: no random energies that allow the atom to bounce around, shake, move or otherwise interact with its surroundings. It has been effectivly cut off from the rest of the universe, until the universe “decides” to “mess” with it. Such intereaction can happen when a low energy EM radiation (IR rays, say from the sun, but any other matter >0 K will suffice) is captured by the atom. This will dump energy into the atom, and cause it to move. But I digress, to the atom times still flows at a regular speed, but its not doing anything, it just slows down. Think of it like being exhausted, you stop working. Once you get some coffee you start working again.
    When a particle moves at relativistic (~0.2c or greater) time begins to slow for its frame of reference. Or the particle (really) speeds up for every elses reference point. At v~c time the relative time movement to that particle is ~0.

This can best be shown experimentally by using radiocative decay. (Note: this is the universal text book and paper example) A decaying particle will have its half life increased when it moves faster. That is becuase its time reference has slowed down. The partcle may think its still has a half life of T sec, but the neutral observer notices that the halflife is really >T sec. Thus both the laws of relativity and nuclear interactions are upheld.
    Thermal energy has no effect on half life. A 0.1 K particle will still decay at the same rate as a 10,000 K particle. Assuming that both have the same speed to our neutral observer!

Given the time and money I’d love to run near 0 Kelvin particles through an accellerator just to see what would happen. Id imagine you could come damn close to stopping entropy in a single particle.

It would seem that way, yes. However to move a particle, you must give it energy, and thus heat it up. A neutron at room temperature ~300 K will move at ~2200 m/s! The faster it moves that hotter it is. A single .99c atom is tremedously hot! But we humans could not detect this heat with out bare hands because it alone has so little thermal energy compared with the rest of out enviorment. Note: This is why I put the bold explanation in the last paragraph. A subatomic particle with a ****load of energy will move very fast by default, and thus appear to decay slower)

I’d like to say more, but this little window isn’t convinet for scientifc writing (read: I can’t type equations very well without it taking forever to type and format)

Anonymous

Hey! No fair, I was trying to keep it simple for the masses! There’s no connection between thermal dynamics and light, I just think there’s a connection above physics, much in the same way humans originally looked at atomic structure in the same terms that solar systems are created with the sun being the nucleus.

At absolute zero, there is no thermal energy. Translation: no random energies that allow the atom to bounce around, shake, move or otherwise interact with its surroundings. It has been effectivly cut off from the rest of the universe, until the universe “decides” to “mess” with it.

Well that’s a theory partially based on

Z*e emax^2 + Z(e)pmax^2 +N(e)nmax^2 =23.79 MeV
    Kc* ——————————————————–
    A c

A c is the Compton Wavelength

Kc is Coulomb Constant

Z is Protons

N is Neutrons

This equation says 0K is impossible based on what you said because there would not be enough energy leftover to allow the “binding” exchange to take place.

Bah I have to run, but I’m not letting this slide, I still have much to say!!

But think about it Headge, not the math but the theory, what would happen if the experiment I talked about happened?

I think it’s a real mind-bender personally. More of a fun thought/discussion than anything you or I can prove in nature =)

Flamegrape
    Participant

I like lettuce! Does anyone have any lettuce?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.