Getting closer all the time

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums Other Forums The Pub Getting closer all the time

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    SadGeezer
    Keymaster

Just read news that Boeing have begun tests on anti-gravity device that will allow planes to fly without fuel, even more astounding is that this is being done as part of Nasa’s space propulsion agenda.
    As I have said before the nature of acheiving warp depends on a few variables and one of them is manipulating spacetime, spacetime is essentially the main universal forces or electromagnetic/gravimetric energy. The fastest thing in the universe is light, so in order to travel faster than light we have to emulate it’s properties, light has virtually no mass, it’s like saying it’s light as a feather, it doesn’t suffer from the pull of gravity as opposed to everything else, only super dense gravimetric forces such as a black hole can disrupt light.
    So we need a ship that can’t be dictated to by gravity, if Boeing are successful in acheiving anti-gravity then we all may yet see the first warp capable vessel.
    The other parts of the solution are now being closely looked at, the energy source to power a warp drive: zero-point energy, an engine similar to impulse engines in star trek: ION engine now in existence, or possible matter/anti-matter engine a reality, the idea of a warp field: theorized and accepted by leading scientists. Space time and the warping effect is now a new area that NASA is keen for other bodies as well as itself to investigate.
    This is no longer science fiction, everything that I mentioned is really underway, and science is getting excited by the possiblities of it all.
    Squishy

Anonymous

…and just sit back and wait for the popular media to have a good laugh at the achievements science makes…..

Anonymous

Y’know, the Vatican oughta revise the Bible to say , “The geek shall inherit the Earth”. Maybe then real scientists’d get some respect.

Although maybe adding, “and the meek shall inherit diddlysquat” is probably too much to hope for.

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by The Invisible Lunatic:
    Y’know, the Vatican oughta revise the Bible to say , “The geek shall inherit the Earth”. Maybe then real scientists’d get some respect.

Although maybe adding, “and the meek shall inherit diddlysquat” is probably too much to hope for.

That’s the biggest problem concerning science, many are happy to believe there is a god, but tell them that they can travel faster than light and they won’t stop laughing.
    Truth is, is that religion is science’s greatest enemy, because science is edging that ever bit closer to proving that faith in a god is unfounded, for a culture that perceives itself enlightened, we are so way of the mark.
    But it’s a 50/50 divide, we have the religious types and then we have those who realise that their street cred is at risk should they ever choose to believe what science can offer.
    I hate the fact that I may not be around to see some of the technological marvels that could await us due to the closed minds of this planets populace.
    I also just received news that the BPP (Breakthrough in Propulsion Project) is effectively being shelved, as of 31st July the US senate declared that the BPP will no longer recieve funding, so those that had been working on ideas involving anti-gravity (Boeing) or zero-point energy and warp possiblities will now have to seek private funding. Unfortunately, I find it unlikely that these labs will recieve any corporate sponsorship, as the goals they are trying to reach are beset by the problems of lengthy investigaion and experimentation, no business is prepared to actively endorse a project that could take decades to acheive.
    Having said that, if companies like Boeing are happy to go further with an Anti-gravity engine, then maybe other’s will follow suit.
    No doubt the monetary requirements of ousting a certain despot residing in Baghdad has resulted in the BPP’s effective demise, and as the war on terror is bound to be a long drawn out process, the BPP may not be active again for a very long time.
    Oh well, I’ll just have to build that warp reactor myself…anyone got any antimatter floating about!!!
    Squishy

theFrey
    Participant

Don’t worry Squish. You will see more than you can dream. My Grandmother went from candles for light to stuff she never would have even immagined, like space flight, color televisions and personal computers. (even though she never had a PC, she did like hearing about my brandy new Atari PC)

She had seen more change in her life that her Grandparents and Great Grandparents had seen together. She told me, that I would be amazed at how much stuff would change for me, since change was occurring at an ever faster rate.

She was right of course, and I can’t wait. Of course the main thing I can’t wait for right now is a robotic vacum cleaner!

Anonymous

What I can’t wait for are medical nanobots.
    Ones that would constantly clean and repair your teeth would be nice. I hate going to the dentist.

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by thefrey:

Of course the main thing I can’t wait for right now is a robotic vacum cleaner!

Why stop there? Let’s go for the self-cleaning house. Of course I’ve never had the nerve to actually try the self-cleaning feature on the oven……

elmey

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by thefrey:
    Oh, and as a check of what is possible… When Dick Tracy first had those little wrist talky phone/camera thingies… it was such a far out idea, pure fantasy, ect…. Well they have camera’s on phones, and camera’s on watches…. and theBrother was telling me about a picture phone he had seen a promo for one that fit on your wrist and can transmit a picture. How cool is that? If you can immagine it, eventually some one will develop it.

Case in point that I cannot wait for… thin wireless TV’s that would hang on your wall like art when not being used.

That’s very true Frey, science has advanced more in the last 100 years than it has in the course of human history, I do feel that given how fast it is progressing there is a chance I will see these things happen.
    BTW, interesting point about the T.V’s, scientists have tested a thin micro fibre that can produce phosphorous light, so expect to see that T.V in the next 5 to 10 years, it is a flexible 1/4 inch thick screen that you can roll up and take with you or hang on your wall!!!

Squishy

Flamegrape
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Squishy:
    I also just received news that the BPP (Breakthrough in Propulsion Project) is effectively being shelved, as of 31st July the US senate declared that the BPP will no longer recieve funding, so those that had been working on ideas involving anti-gravity (Boeing) or zero-point energy and warp possiblities will now have to seek private funding.

It looks like the controled public release of technology derived from reverse-engineered UFOs fell through this time. Just feel lucky that we got transistors and microchips from our grey “friends”.

theFrey
    Participant

Oh, and as a check of what is possible… When Dick Tracy first had those little wrist talky phone/camera thingies… it was such a far out idea, pure fantasy, ect…. Well they have camera’s on phones, and camera’s on watches…. and theBrother was telling me about a picture phone he had seen a promo for one that fit on your wrist and can transmit a picture. How cool is that? If you can immagine it, eventually some one will develop it.

Case in point that I cannot wait for… thin wireless TV’s that would hang on your wall like art when not being used.

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by Flamegrape:

It looks like the controled public release of technology derived from reverse-engineered UFOs fell through this time. Just feel lucky that we got transistors and microchips from our grey “friends”.

ROTFLMAO…Where would we be without them, they can multilate cows and abduct humans as much as they like, they gave us computers so that we can come to places like Saddy’s to talk about them multilating cows and abducting us, ah, sweet irony…God bless em!!!
    Makes you wonder if they did exist, how’d they’d feel with the public knowledge of humanity conceiving technology as good as their own, surely they would take it as a threat?
    Just when we get rid of the world’s terror organisation’s and Saddam and his type the buggers will turn up…Doomed, I say…Doomed, ah well they did give us P.C’s, so you can’t hate them much even after they have destroyed D.C with an ID4 type blast, ya won’t find me raising a finger against them!!!
    Squishy

Anonymous

๐Ÿ˜†

Anonymous

BTW, if anyone is interested I got a lot of links from Jean Shrueger (public liason for the BPP), these links are articles and updates regarding the project.
    Contact me via e-mail if you would like these links (there are quite a few).
    [email protected]
    But if it’s just cow mutilation you want then contact your local butcher!!!
    Squishy

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.