Ghost Stories and other Weird Stuff

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums Other Forums The Pub Ghost Stories and other Weird Stuff

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    SadGeezer
    Keymaster

Snooklepie suggested that we have a thread for ghost stories, so here you go. if anyone gets scared just go stand by Lars and he will protect you.

here are the stories from the gross workplace stories thread.

quote:

snooklepie
    Aspiring SadGeezer
    Member # 494
    posted 05-03-2002 08:22 PM
    ——————————————————————————–
    ..and i’ve got plenty more similar stories where that came from!!! but for now, here’s a wierd one for you. not exactly gross, more x-files really. my brother works as a heavy vehicle mechanic, and one night he was on his own working on a truck when he saw someone wearing a full-length brown hooded gown type garment walking around the workshop.
    “what are you doing? you can’t come in here!!” shouts my bro.
    at which point, this person turns to face him, and this ‘person’ has no face! a second later whatever it was disappeared into thin air…it freaked my bro out.
    this is a true story

quote:

Praxilla
    Committed SadGeezer
    Member # 455
    posted 06-03-2002 04:36 PM
    ——————————————————————————–
    I have lots of ghost stories.
    My hubby worked at the local movie theater as a projectionist while we were dating. It’s old, and smelly, but still used as a movie theater.

One night, I got goosbumps and creepy feelings. I asked him if the place was haunted. He told me that I wasn’t the first person to ask him that and he thought it was. He swears he said goodnight to the theater after putting a movie up and he heard “Thank you.” As if that wasn’t creepy enough, another time one of his freinds saw a woman waving from the front lobby. They used to have fashion shows and little skits before movies in the old days. They think it was one of the ladies who enjoyed doing those things and decided to stay. As far as he knows, no one has ever died in there.

Anonymous

this happened within a mile of where my bro works. many years ago, my Nan rented this house, and was surprised one day when somebody walked passed her on the stairs. she looked around, but could not find this woman. the next day, she described what had happened to a neighbour, and described the woman she saw. apparently it turns out that this woman was the previous owner of the property, whom my nan had never met or seen, and she had died as a result of falling down that same set of stairs..

Anonymous

Possibly THE creepiest, most odd thing to EVER happen to me.

There is a through street in my small hometown often used by the Jr. High and High School kids to get to school. When I was a senior, a young man of my aquaintance got in a motorcycle accident that he died of after being in a coma for a year. (Not on this street, though.)

When I was about 22, I was going to a boyfriends house late one night for a wee “get together” with him, his roommate (who I went to school with) and some other friends. They lived a couple of blocks off this through street called J street.

It was a misty night and this towns street lights aren’t the best. It’s darker than any other town I’ve lived in. I saw this person walking on the sidewalk. Being a small town, I slowed down thinking I might know this person and maybe it was one of the freinds on their way to the house for the party. I would give them a lift. The person walking turned his head and smiled and looked at me, I kid you not, straight at me, and I swear to this day that it was the kid who had died.

I freaked just a bit, even got willies down my spine. I drove to the house and told my bf’s room mate that I swear I just saw so and so walking down the street. It could have been someone else, but it looked EXACTLY like him. T. jumped in his car and went zooming away to see this person. The streets here are very blocking, straight, and it would be easy to find someone walking down a street or alley. He didn’t find anyone, the guy, who ever it was, was gone. I wonder if it was the boy just going to school on his ghostly rounds of the town.

DalekTek790
    Participant

I kind of collect weird stories. Some “spooky” things have happened to me that could be interpreted as having been paranormal phenomena, but all of them are also subject to materialist explanations. That’s also quite often true of stories I hear from other people.

One thing in particular that pops into mind is when I was staying over at my cousin’s house in Clinton for New Year’s. In the evening, at twilight (“the wheel doth turn!” sorry ) I noticed that the decorations over one of the archways in their house was twitching, undulating like an inchworm. I went up and felt it, and it was just some floral things painted on with stencils, and there was some dried, kinda sticky substance that wasn’t paint, but logically there was no way it could be moving. But when I stood back it started writhing again. My brother and mother saw it too, but none of us perceived it to twitch at the same time, which implied that it was an optical illusion. I said to my cousin “Hey, come take a look at this, that painted deal looks like it’s moving.” and he said casually “Oh, it does that every night.” In the morning I took a real close look at it, and noticed that the painted images were sort of crooked, the spaces between them were slightly uneven and they weren’t all at consistent angles (I also noticed a green dried substance in linear drips from the ceiling). So I reasoned that the apparent twitching was just the result of the brain trying to correct the image that the eyes were getting, since the pattern wasn’t consistent but “logically” it should be. I talked to my aunt, who painted it, and she said “Oh, sure it’s crooked, I did a **** job on those.” But she also told me something interesting.

The dried substance I saw was the remnants of a green viscous fluid that flowed (“in gallons,” if I am to trust that she was not embellishing) from the place where the wall met the ceiling on the first floor, when they washed the walls when they first bought the house. No matter how much washing they did, it still came, even though there didn’t seem to be a crack it could be emanating from. But (as her story goes) after 3 days the substance stopped flowing, everywhere except over the archway that “moves,” where it got mixed with the paint as it was being applied, and has periodically dripped from since. This, too, can be explained without evoking the New Dominant. There could have been some kind of chemical reaction between a cleanig agent and the old paint, or there could have been a fungus or something inside the walls, and some of it was getting washed out of imperceptably small cracks or other openings as it was washed. And I am not quite confident that the “slime” story has not been expanded beyond what actually happened, even though all the members of the house I asked seemed to have a consistent account of it.

In a final note, some months later I checked a book out on paranormal activities, and it mentioned that town (Clinton, Iowa). Apparently in this century there have been several Fortean events, that is, strange objects and substances falling from the sky. Some researchers have even speculated that there is a periodically-opening wormhole situated somewhere above Clinton, Iowa. When you take all these things together, it makes for kind of a spooky story, although there is no smoking gun evidence anywhere within of anything truly extramundane.

dgrequeen
    Participant

I don’t know that I should tell you this story, but I’ve come to believe implicitly in life after death, and this is why.

In 1989, my younger sister was diagnosed with Hepatitis C, and went into the hospital. I was a thousand miles away at the time, trying to manage two households, a job change, the temporary separation of my family (for economic reasons), and various and sundry other things, so our only contact during the two months she was in the hospital was by phone. She kept telling me she was getting better and would be going home soon. The last time I talked to her (a Sunday), she said she would be going home by mid or end of the week.

On that Wednesday afternoon, I was working alone in my office (I worked for a lawyer then, and I was alone in the building) when I thought to myself that I should call my sister when I got home to see if she’d been released from the hospital. At that moment, when I thought of her, I was overcome with the most powerful feeling I’ve ever had that my parents (who were deceased) were in the room with me. I couldn’t see them, but somehow I knew they were there and they were looking at me, almost with sympathy I felt.

That night my nephew called to say that my sister had gone into a coma, and by Friday, before I could get there, she was dead.

Anonymous

Going into the logical bits, there may be an explanation for so many ghostly happenings. Nebraska sits on a giant aquafer (sp?). Some think that it just holds electricity/energy well.

That was brave sharing that, dgre. I keep deleting my own family story happenings along the same line. I have no explanations for them and sometimes feel like a looney talking about them.

Anonymous

quote:

That was brave sharing that, dgre. I keep deleting my own family story happenings along the same line. I have no explanations for them and sometimes feel like a looney talking about them.

you have my word that if anybody shows up here and says anything mean about a person or their story they will be dealt with immediately! these stories are very personal and if someone is brave enough to post it then they should be treated with the respect they deserve.

Anonymous

Mary Beth: Thanks.

Before my father died, I had a dream of my grandpa coming to pick him up in a RV. The big deal was that they wouldn’t let me go with them. So I jumped onto the back and they went to heaven. I was kicked out because I wasn’t supposed to be there. Of course I was upset when he died, but the dream seemed to cushion what otherwise would have been a nervous breakdown situation for me. Thanks Grandpa!

dgrequeen
    Participant

Before my father died, I had a dream of my grandpa coming to pick him up in a RV. The

That’s not loony at all, Prax. It’s just more evidence to me that life is an eternal mystery to be pondered but never understood.

DalekTek790
    Participant

Okay, that last story was lame so I’ve got another one. This one doesn’t involve any apparitions or physical anomalies, but it continues the theme of unusual occurences pertaining to the recently deceased.

Okay, it was the day my grandfather was buried. It was late, my brother was already in bed and my parents and I were watching television. There was nothing good on, we were watching the Illinois lottery. I was watching it (I was young and easily entertained), my parents were more talking than watching.

Anyway, to make a long story short, my father’s birthday came up as the winning number. It would have been more interesting if my dad had actually bought a lottery ticket and played his birth date (he’s not big on throwing his money away on silly things like that), but this was significantly shocking to all of us nonetheless.

Praxilla, that is an interesting story with the dream. I have recently done some reading on the subject of dream interpretation, and it is said that sometimes dreams can be your subconscious’ way of coming to terms with things your rational mind has trouble wrapping itself around. Just something that came to mind when I read your post.

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by DalekTek790:

Praxilla, that is an interesting story with the dream. I have recently done some reading on the subject of dream interpretation, and it is said that sometimes dreams can be your subconscious’ way of coming to terms with things your rational mind has trouble wrapping itself around. Just something that came to mind when I read your post.

I’m not sure I quite understand your meaning there. You’ll have to explain with more detail.

D’OH! I just realized, I didn’t tell you this dream happened BEFORE he got very ill and sent to the hospital. At the time of the dream, he was finishing up a PhD, planning on taking his college jazz band on tour and getting ready for retirement at the end of the school year. His death was an unexpected thing.

[ 09-03-2002: Message edited by: Praxilla ]

DalekTek790
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Praxilla:
    At the time of the dream, he was finishing up a PhD, planning on taking his college jazz band on tour and getting ready for retirement at the end of the school year. His death was an unexpected thing.

Sorry, I didn’t realize it was a premonition. Just forget I said anything.

Anonymous

I have a LOT of scary things that have happened to me. When I was growing up, we lived in an old farmhouse outside of town it was about 3000 square feet, but the rent was only 150 a month (to give you an idea of how run down it was). Well, first off, we had a large open field out back where we had our 2 horses, Jubilee and Stormy. Almost every week, Jubie would climb up onto our back patio (escaping her fence, btw) and we’d have to get neighbors to help get her back down.She seemed terrified to get down onto the grass. After a year of being there, we found out that about 20 years ago, a man lived there that raised rattlesnakes for milking and they all escaped when he died (they weren’t there when we lived there).
    We also had a second floor that nobody used ,well, we decided to make my bedroom up there and went up to pick a room. My dog Zep ran up before us and blocked our way. He groweled and snareled. My dad told him get down and Zep said clear as crysyal “NO!”.
    Later that day, we locked Zep in a bedroom and daddy went up, and fell right through the celieng. Now, a lot of other stuff happened ,mostly you’d put something down and it would move a few inches, could have been an uneven foundation. BUT… one day my mom was home alone and she was painting the kitchen door. She was half done and went outside for some carrots for dinner, and when she came back the door was painted all the way. And I went there about a month ago. The house has been condemmed, and nobody was supposed to enter. Now, y’all know I went right on in lol. I went through all the rooms ,except the back bedroom was inaccesible because the rest of the floor above had caved in over it. I walked around the entire house and as I was beside the left side of the house, it felt like something pushed me gently, then harder, then harder until I moved. I turned around and looked where I’d been standing before and I had been next to the living room chimjney stack. At the roof, the stack was seperated from the house by about 5 feet, that thing was gonna topple, very ,very soon. It didn’t when I was there ,but I’m certain that it has by now, if the house is even still standing. Also, I’m no nutcase, please don’t laugh, this stuff all stopped once we moved

Anonymous

i remember a story my mum told me about something that happened in her youth. apparently she’d gone for a walk in the countryside with a young gentleman. they’d stopped for a rest in a field (!) when she was overwhelmed by this sense of evil in the air. she panicked, and insisted that they get away from the area as quickly as possible, which they did. apparently, the next day a baby was found dead in a hedgerow bordering the field

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by DalekTek790:

Sorry, I didn’t realize it was a premonition. Just forget I said anything.

No, no, it’s ok, my fault for not saying so in the first place. Shame on me. I was implying it and should have just come out and said it. Sorry!

Nirvanah: That’s not looney at all! I find it fascinating.

snookie: spooky and sad

[ 09-03-2002: Message edited by: Praxilla ]

Anonymous

perhaps the most scary thing that’s happened to me is something that happened while i was stopping at a friend’s house. i’d gone to bed, and was lying there trying to get to sleep, when i noticed this grey haze in the corner of the room. i was frozen, then i began to have this sensation like i was being touched by something that wasn’t quite there- it was a pins&needles sensation, first around my left thigh, then my right. then the sensation started to move up towards my chest, at which point i began to panic. i remeber thinking ‘please leave me alone- i just want to sleep!’ it then felt like something hit me really hard round the side of my head, & everything went black. this was the last i knew until the next morning. there were other people stopping at the house, so i waited about telling my friend about this until everyone had gone, in case anyone thought i was nuts. my friend wasn’t suprised. she’d had the same sensations in that room, and only that room…

Anonymous

ok here is one of my ghost stories.
    from the age of 12 to 17 i lived with my grandparents in the 100+ year old house that they were remodeling. one night i felt something jump up on the bed. it felt like a small animal had jump up behind me on the bed. you know like a small dog or a cat. my grandmother did have a little yappy dog (LOL) but it wasn’t that dog cause she was downstairs with my grandmother and besides that my door was shut so there was no way she could have gotten into my room. this happened often while i stayed in the house. it didn’t really bother me after the first time. in fact it was rather comforting after that. it was like i had a little ghostie friend/pet!

Anonymous

This was before my time, but both my mother and my grandmother told it to me.
    My poppy lost some of his hearing and every morning, he used to get up early and bash pots and pans around. (Don’t ask why, my family’s like that.)
    Anyway, after he died, inhospital, Kim used to be woken up early in the morning by pots and pans being bashed around.
    And no one was there.
    Creepy.

Anonymous

apart from the experience my mum had, all that i have posted about so far happened within a mile of each other. (from a lousy memory) the whole area is crossed by ley lines, with one running through the house that i had my experience in. i’m assuming this has a lot to do with the goings on, but then again, i seem to remember that Leicestershire is the most haunted county in the country… i alone can think of plenty more ghost stories told to me by friends an family alone, not just those of popular local legend…. e.g. one of our local pubs- optics falling down when they’re known to be secure, pumps turning themselves on & off in the cellar, when no-one is down there,..drinks disappearing off the bar when nobody else is in the pub….
    a friend of mine was going to spend the night in the cellar once, to raise money for charity. after hearing the stories from the landlord about a presence, and shadows other than his own, he chickened out….
    the ghost became known as Fred.
    i’ve also had some odd experiences at work. the site is on part of an old WW2 airfield. doors have often banged, when nobody was near them. things move/ disappear. only the other day, a friend of mine said that she was unhappy working alone at night, because the place gave her the creeps…a pilot that cannot rest, perhaps?

[ 16-03-2002: Message edited by: snooklepie ]

Anonymous

The elementary school I went to from 3rd grade till 6th was huge, and odd stuff would happen all the time (never to me, but I saw a lot).
    Once in science class, all of the fish and the pet hamster died within an hour of each other, the police could find no gas leak or poison, or anything else odd. Also, blood would appear in the left side hall way (only a few drops) everyday. And even though it was a remodled building ,and had central heat and air, they had kept the radiators as decorative historical peices. In the lunchroom one day,all of the disconnected decorative radiators turned on. (They were never used, but the piping was still in the floors and walls.) There were many other odd occourences there, possibly stemming from the fact that the school used to be a confederacy hospital during the Civil War.

And I was asking my mom for some family stories for this hread and she told me about one time before I was born when my mammaw (great grandma), who was 5 at the time, was visited by her aunt, Miss Ruby, and Miss Ruby told her what a pretty little sister she had. Mammaw’s mom had gone with Miss Ruby shopping and had had her baby a month early right in the store. It was a little girl, and Miss Ruby was alive and well, and had no idea how Mammaw could have seen her.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.