Good…bad…? Ash is back. He’s the one with the gun.

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums Other Forums The Pub Good…bad…? Ash is back. He’s the one with the gun.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    SadGeezer
    Keymaster

Come get some

As you can see an interesting rumor is spreading around that Bruce Campbell will be in the sequel to Freddy vs Jason as “Ash” from the Evil Dead series.

This is incredible news as “Evil Dead” is well….dead and Campbell has said time and time again there will be no sequel (sequel to ED3:Army of Darkness that is) due to funding. Well now it appears he may be back, and I for one hopes he puts both Freddy and Jason under the Boomstick.

Shop Smart, shop S-Mart.

sgtdraino
    Participant

Ash rocks. It’s about time Bruce Campbell came to his senses and gave the fans what we truly want. ๐Ÿ™‚

I hear he may also play a similar character in the next Phantasm sequel being planned.

Mmmmmm. Phantasm.

Anonymous

Just curious, but what did you think of the last Phantasm?

And what the hell was it about, anyway.

Who owns the rights to Ash anyway? Wouldn’t there be some sort of problem legally, merging it with either the Friday the Thirteenth or Nightmare on Elm Street franchises? And what about the continuity issue (gakk, I can’t believe I said ‘continuity’ while talking about Evil Dead)?

sgtdraino
    Participant
    ”Valdron” wrote:

Just curious, but what did you think of the last Phantasm?

I only saw it once, and that was a long time ago. At the time, I have to admit I was not impressed. I found it convoluted and confusing. I’ve been meaning to give it another chance, though. I’ve always had a soft spot for the Phantasm series. An unusual blending of sci-fi and horror. And hey, they got a bald guy as the hero! ๐Ÿ™‚

”Valdron” wrote:

And what the hell was it about, anyway.

Indeed. I’d have to view it again before I even try to tackle that question!

”Valdron” wrote:

Who owns the rights to Ash anyway?

I’d guess Sam Raimi.

”Valdron” wrote:

Wouldn’t there be some sort of problem legally, merging it with either the Friday the Thirteenth or Nightmare on Elm Street franchises?

Well, Friday and Nightmare are separate franchises, but they managed to merge them. Certainly it is tricky. It generally requires the various rights holders to each get their royalties, which tends to add up to more than a production company wants to spend. Case in point, the aborted Aliens vs. Predator.

Phantasm V wouldn’t have that problem, as Bruce wouldn’t be playing Ash, just a character similar to Ash. Some kind of Marine.

”Valdron” wrote:

And what about the continuity issue (gakk, I can’t believe I said ‘continuity’ while talking about Evil Dead)?

Hey, Evil Dead’s got continuity! Ash just has a crappy memory, so when he flashes back at the beginning of each movie, his memory plays tricks on him. Hence his girlfriend gets hotter and hotter each time he remembers her! ๐Ÿ™‚

Anonymous

As I understand the last movie, Mike leaves Reggie and starts hanging out with his brother, the ghost/ball. He goes back in time and encounters the tall man when he was still human and working on some sort of dimensional thing. Then the tall man returns from a trip through the dimensional thing and is no longer human. Mike has flashbacks indicating some more elaborate relationship with the tall man when he was a kid. Then in the end, a ball rips its way out of Mike’s head….

The thing that bothered me about this Phantasm is that there isn’t even the false hope. In every Phantasm, the tall man wins in the last scene. But then again, up to that point, it looks like they’ve won.

Here there’s no sense of even a false victory, no sense of progression or struggle. Instead, we’re given what seems to be a handful of clues or pieces, but the story seems to end half way through, without explaining what the hell is going on or why its happening. Worse, this is a movie that *promises* to explain things, but in the end, all we’ve got are hints and questions.

It didn’t do particularly well in DTV, not compared to the previous Phantasms, which themselves were a long time between movies. I had thought Coscarelli might have wrapped up with this one… but I almost get the feeling he was planning a two parter, and hoping that the first part would provide the financing for the second.

Anyone who has a clue as to what it all amounts to, let me know.

Anonymous

I really liked the early Phantasm movies. They crossed the lines between horror and Sci-Fi in a much better way than “Alien” or “Insert generic space horror flick here”.

As for the rights to Evil Dead, I’m fairly sure they lost the rights after ED1. Which is why ED2 was a remake of sorts. I’d have to re-read Brucecampbell.com (It’s all explained there) but I’m sure there was problems in the past as well. As for right now, I’d agree Raimi most likely holds the rights, he wouldn’t make the same mistake twice.

I’ll keep you all posted if I hear anything new, glad to see there’s a few Ash fans out there =)

sgtdraino
    Participant
    ”LexxLurker” wrote:

I really liked the early Phantasm movies. They crossed the lines between horror and Sci-Fi in a much better way than “Alien” or “Insert generic space horror flick here”.

lol. In a way, I agree. I liked Alien and Aliens a lot too, but I don’t really consider them horror. Or rather, they’re sci-fi first. Alien is sci-fi horror, whilst Phantasm is horror sci-fi. ๐Ÿ™‚

”LexxLurker” wrote:

As for the rights to Evil Dead, I’m fairly sure they lost the rights after ED1. Which is why ED2 was a remake of sorts.

Raimi and his crew have made all of the Evil Dead movies to date, including Army of Darkness. ED2 was definitely all theirs. However, they did say they lost creative control, to a degree, while they were making Army of Darkness. Universal was imposing all kinds of changes on them, since Universal held the purse strings. It was a hard production, with arguments back and forth. However, the ultimate movie was still mostly Raimi’s vision, except for the “S-mart Ending” seen in theatres. The original “Rip-van-Winkle” ending was added back for certain “director’s cut” video releases.

Not sure if Universal still holds any rights to the franchise, but I’d bet my money that most of the character and story rights are still retained by Raimi.

For the Phantasm series, Coscarelli lost creative control (to a degree) of Phantasm 2. Many fans also regard that one as the weakest entry (though I am not one of them). Coscarelli got control back with 3 onward, though. 4 looks the way it does primarily due to budgetary constraints. 5 is supposed to be action-packed, I think Coscarelli’s trying to save up the dough to go out with a bang.

”LexxLurker” wrote:

I’ll keep you all posted if I hear anything new, glad to see there’s a few Ash fans out there =)

I’d like to see Bruce Campbell cast as the Gunslinger, in a screen adaptation of Stephen King’s Dark Tower series. Unfortunately, thus far, King is unwilling to let that series be adapted to the screen. It’s the King equivalent to The Lord of the Rings.

Flamegrape
    Participant

I had a ton of fun playing the PS2 game “Evil Dead: Fistful of Boomstick.” I don’t know anything about the first Evil Dead game that was made, but I’ve been told that “Boomstick” is much better. I had so much fun playing through the adventure that I played through it again. There’s even a button to press that makes Ash quip a one-liner.

Anyway, the game had a “making of” video included. In an interview with Bruce Campbell, he said that he wouldn’t mind making another movie but that Sam was “busy making Spiderman.” (The game was made a while ago.) He didn’t really say anything about money problems. IMHO, I somehow doubt that money is a problem because the franchise is so popular.

Anonymous
    sgtdraino wrote:

”LexxLurker” wrote:

lol. In a way, I agree. I liked Alien and Aliens a lot too, but I don’t really consider them horror. Or rather, they’re sci-fi first. Alien is sci-fi horror, whilst Phantasm is horror sci-fi. ๐Ÿ™‚ [/quote]

I shoulda cleaned that up a bit. I wasn’t meaning to bash Alien as much as all the generic films that followed trying to rip it off. Even up till recent times with movies like “Event Horizon” and similar. What is it about stranded ships, yeesh! =)

IMO Aliens (Alien 2) was probably the scariest thing I ever saw as a kid. Or Creepshow, damn that scared the crap out of me too.

Headgehog
    Participant

Sounds great! I’d love to see some more Ash action. I just hope this isn’t another internet rumour. I mentioned it to a few other Evil Dead fans and they sorta laughed me under the table.

sgtdraino wrote:

y, Evil Dead’s got continuity! Ash just has a crappy memory, so when he flashes back at the beginning of each movie, his memory plays tricks on him. Hence his girlfriend gets hotter and hotter each time he remembers her!

”LexxLurker” wrote:

As for the rights to Evil Dead, I’m fairly sure they lost the rights after ED1. Which is why ED2 was a remake of sorts. I’d have to re-read Brucecampbell.com (It’s all explained there) but I’m sure there was problems in the past as well. As for right now, I’d agree Raimi most likely holds the rights, he wouldn’t make the same mistake twice.

They lost the rights after the first and second movies, hence why they had to tweak the backstories a little bit.

They want to make a fourth movie, but the funding wasn’t there until recently. Popular rumour suggests that something Evil Dead related has being bounced around in the last 6 months.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.