Guardians top ten sci fi films

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums General Sci Fi General Sci Fi Stuff Guardians top ten sci fi films

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    SadGeezer
    Keymaster

The Guardian Newspaper (UK) rates the top sci fi films as follows:

01. Blade Runner (1982) Dir: Ridley Scott
    02. 2001: A Space Odyssey(1968) Dir: Stanley Kubrick
    03. Star Wars (1977)/Empire Strikes Back (1980)
    04. Alien (1979) Dir: Ridley Scott
    05. Solaris (1972) Dir: Andrei Tarkovsky
    06. Terminator (1984)/T2: Judgment day (1991) Dir: James Cameron
    07. The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951) Dir: Robert Wise
    08. War of the Worlds (1953) Dir: Byron Haskin
    09. The Matrix (1999) Dir: Andy & Larry Wachowski
    10. Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977) Dir: Steven Spielberg

Actually, as a list of the best sci fi films ever made that’s not too bad! What do you think?

Faldor
    Participant

its nice to see one of these list that arnt just made up of the current ‘flavours of the month’ πŸ™‚

alnexi
    Participant

Nothing after 1999…?!? Is Resident Evil a sci-fi movie?

Anonymous
    alnexi wrote:

Nothing after 1999…?!? Is Resident Evil a sci-fi movie?

Yeah, I noticed that, but couldn’t come up with any films since 1999 that could compete.

I think Resident Evil can be considered sci fi, but my reputation in defining sci fi has taken a tumble lately (SadCAST#3) πŸ™‚

Faldor
    Participant

resident evil is considered a sci-fi film, abeit just not a very good one. πŸ˜‰

alnexi
    Participant

I think Resident Evil can be considered sci fi, but my reputation in defining sci fi has taken a tumble lately

Yeah, I guess the older and wiser you get the less you believe in all that labeling and categorizing. Here in the US, large bookstores are now obsessed with “sections” – honestly, I sometimes wonder if they track each customer with a hidden camera… Romance? Horror? Gay? African American? History? What country? Is it supposed to narrow our mind and limit unnecessary choices?
    I hereby declare Resident Evil is a sci-fi. It’s also a horror. And, speaking of Resident Evil II, it’s a damn good movie.
    So much for my little personal anti-labeling revolution today!

spooookie
    Participant

There cant be one of us who agree’s with this list entirely,and indeed,I have never agreed with any top ten’s except my own,Bladerunner,Alien,and Star Wars(Empire Strikes Back) would all feature on mine but not in that order…and where was Aliens? my personal Favourite Film ever

Anonymous

Good point, it’s widely regarded (by me anyway πŸ™‚ ) that Aliens was better than Alien.

YOWAYYO
    Participant

Yup, Aliens was fantastic! For me, Bill Paxton’s character was one of the best “red shirt” type characters ever. Watching him bitch and moan amidst all the chaos was priceless!!!

That’s a pretty solid list, and I agree with Faldor- I too am glad that it is not made up of recent scifi-sh “darlings.” Even though we all won’t agree with a “top 10” list, this particular list appears pretty well thought out as there are many picks that are considered groundbreaking and/ or revolutionary.

spooookie
    Participant

Talking of “Aliens” im just trying to think of any other sequal’s were better than the Original…not many…its like music really,they keep re-doing old songs but never seem to better the Original,so any sequal which is superior to its Begginings really has to be something special

lexxrobotech
    Participant

Hmmm, no Back to the Future.

Not a bad list. You’ll never be able to please all sci-fi fans as we all have our favourite ‘flavours’

This made me think of a list someone did here not so long ago about their best sci-fi authors. I don’t believe Jules Verne came up.

YOWAYYO
    Participant

Star Trek II- The Wrath of Khan is a great sequel…sure, it’s one of the more common candidates mentioned in this type of discussion but it’s a personal fave. I like the story line and Ricardo Montalban. The soundtrack is excellent as well. I’d be interested to see what others come up with.

Back to the Future? That’s one of those rare movies that I could watch over and over again.

Anyway, back to the top 10 list, I think Dune is pretty strong as well. Even if you haven’t read the book, just watch the movie 10 or 15 times and you’ll get the gist of it.

I like Jurassic Park. The plot is dependent on hard science, and the special effects were the best in its time. I mean, they brought dinosaurs to real life for Pete’s sake!

Sidhecafe
    Participant

hiya, after a long hiatus from the site and scifi in general (except SG1 😳 ) I’d love to put my 2 cents in here and say I was very pleased to see the original Solaris at #5!

Yes there’s some long quiet pans of the camera in this movie but I found them beautiful and thought the whole movie was just amazing, a great example of an encounter with alien intelligence that reflects back on humanity.

The Clooney remake was a travesty of a sham…. πŸ˜‰

Blade Runner as number one I have to get behind as well.

alnexi
    Participant

resident evil is considered a sci-fi film, abeit just not a very good one

[sigh] I was thinking about posting a list of 10 movies I like and everyone else hates (and a list of 10 books everyone else adores and I happen to loath) … I was also glad to see the old Solaris on the list, although the book was better. I am kind of surprised so many people liked the movie because it was definitely way too slow-paced for the video-games generation. Jurassic Park was terrific, that one should have been included!

Sidhecafe
    Participant

I don’t know why but for some reason whenever I think scifi films I never think Jurassic Park….maybe because I think of it as a Hollywood summer flic? I don’t know…it was a very enjoyable movie but there’s something about it that makes me change the channel….maybe it’s the turncoat IT guy or the rich idiot motifs that don’t keep me riveted.

Though Jeff Goldblum can explain probability like that any old time…. πŸ˜‰

Solaris (1972) is a beautiful emotional kind of film, lots of loss, like the Star Wars movies, and lots of strange encounters not explainable by human reason.

Sidhecafe
    Participant

I think Dune is pretty strong as well.

Not to get into a dither over this but I’m assuming you mean Lynch’s Dune and not the scifi channel mini-series?

Because I think Lynch caught the atmosphere of the books more closely, but detail wise, scifi was more exacting….hmmmmm….

lexxrobotech
    Participant

Couldn’t agree more with you on that Sidhecafe.

opusfluke
    Participant

Where the Bliue Hell is “Sphere”? Alien equipment, time travel, paranoia, Jules Verne tribute and fun with helium! Or maybe that should just be in the top 20 or something. πŸ™„

Cesare
    Participant

Being a little patriotic here – but where are Karel Zeman’s movies? πŸ‘Ώ
    http://imdb.com/title/tt0052374/
    http://imdb.com/title/tt0062412/
    http://imdb.com/title/tt0047930/
    πŸ˜‰
    Or Metropolis, for that matter…

alnexi
    Participant

I love Cesta do praveku, one of my most favorite movies of all times. I don’t think, though, it was ever shown outside of Czechoslovakia!

theFrey
    Participant

What? No Stargate? Of course that won’t help much time wise since it was first shown in 1994.

mandara k
    Participant

My tastes run around the block and back.

My current movie is “Dark City”.

You know scary kid midget, “Shell Beach” and “SLEEP!”

Gosh I wish that worked in real life. I could go up to those that really need to shut the #$%^ up and say”SLEEP!”

Oh sorry, most are Sleeping, they are just talking in their sleep. 😈

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.