Hand of God..What did you think?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Tos
    Participant

Was it worth the wait?, I was just a little disappointed there wasn’t more heavy action.

Twas still good though 🙂

Anonymous

I thought it was the best (and most confusing) ep yet.

But during the scene with the Seer, I couldn’t help but say aloud mockingly:

“FOR SHE IS THE KWISTAT HADARACH!”

Spelling aside, Dune fans will know what I mean 😛

Headgehog
    Participant

I should have likes this episode. But not only was I disappointed, I was turned off by it.

The Gaelic (Irish-Scot) music, didn’t work for me. There was a lot of unnecessary scenes thrown in just to make it look cool (like the pilots getting into their Vipers). However I recognize that these are good for other viewers so I won’t totally shoot it down. The shaking camera/documentary camera work is not working. I can stomach/ignore it most of the time, but it really doesn’t work in the space battle scenes! The quick cutting and cropped shots, leave too much to the imagination. Perhaps I’m just old school and like seeing the ST And SW battles scenes where we really get to see everything that is going on.

Ohh, and the 10 or so remaining vipers we’re able to shoot down the ~140 remaining Raiders, without any help form the Galactica, nor taking any more losses. Uh no!

Lastly, I don’t like prophecies in my Sci Fi. It’s fine in fantasy, but not in scifi. But it is interesting to see where this Baltar thing is going. I’m starting to doubt that #6 is a chip in his head. She might just be a manifestation of his subconscious as he goes (more) crazy!

If I do a review, I’ll post all of my contrivances. LexxLurker, you want to take this one?

In all I’d rate it a C- or D+.

Anonymous
    Headgehog wrote:

In all I’d rate it a C- or D+.

Blasphemy.

I’ll write up a review. 😆

Tos
    Participant

When it comes to battles DS9 reigns supreme with Babylon 5 close second. I’m not sure what I expected from Galactica, there is after all only one ship that’s battle worthy in the entire fleet so mass battles aren’t all that likely.

It would have been nice to see the Galactica strutt her stuff though as she did in the pilot show.

Perhaps in a later episode.

Sci -Fi
    Participant

Personally, I enjoyed the episode. It was nice to see Vipers use other armament, like missiles and drop delayed charges (bombs?) and fly over terran. But to the chase:

The religious mythos (prophesy) has a few interesting twists. Both Roslin and Baltar have been told of the ancient prophesy foreseen by Pythia…” The exile and the rebirth of the human race… and the Lords anointed a leader to guide the caravan of the heavens to their new homeland and onto the leader they gave a vision of serpents numbering 2 and 10 as a sign of things to come”…“that the new leader suffered from a wasting disease and would not live to enter the new land” (sounds like Moses). Both probably believe they are the chosen one for whatever purpose. But the big question is, why are the Cylons even remotely interested in and quoting from Colonial Mythos, Prophesy, and Religion? Besides, the God that the Cylons believe in “doesn’t take sides”, one only has to give themselves freely to him/her (shades of Count Iblis). Maybe a setup to develop the Roslin character more in future episodes. In any case, the short glimpses into the Sacred Scrolls and Colonial religion might satisfy those fans that want to learn more about it.

The music didn’t bother me. LOTR, Blackhawk Down, etc. used similar tunes/songs to give an uplifting and reflective mood to scenes.

Adama giving permission to pursue and destroy the remaining Cylon Raiders after the base was destroyed is a welcome change from the original series, where they seemed to always break off right when they should have eliminated or at least severely crippled the Cylons ability to regroup or follow them. However, it was never explained if any of the 50 (2nd group) or 90 (1st group) Cylon Raiders were recalled to the base for defense and we never saw what the other 10 vipers hidden in the cargo ships were assigned to do…high cover maybe? In any case, it seemed odd that the Cylon Raiders didn’t press home the attack on the Galactica or the remaining Vipers even if part of their force was diverted back to the base. They could have resorted to suicide runs if they didn’t have enough munitions on-board or fuel/power to jump out.

Nice to see Apollo being showcased more in this episode. More development of his character. His reluctant decision to throw out the book and take chances (the tunnel run) might give him more confidence in his abilities and respect from others. Gives some insight of how the crew views him as the CAG and a pilot, but looks toward Starbuck for winning tactics and moves that aren’t taught in War College or flight school.

Adama withholding critical tactical information hints of distrust of anybody he hasn’t worked with before and probably doesn’t trust the Cylon detector test and/or has suspicions about Baltar and/or Roslin. Let’s face it, both have been acting odd with more frequency, Roslin under the influence of Kamala (sp?) and Baltar’s escapism with “6” at meetings and in public makes it seems he just goes blank and loses touch with reality. I’m surprised Baltar hasn’t dropped his pants in public yet…lol…j/k.

😳 😀

Daystrom
    Participant

My first post here:

Is Boomer on Caprica suffering from morning sickness?

Just a thought.

Anonymous
    Daystrom wrote:

My first post here:

Is Boomer on Caprica suffering from morning sickness?

Just a thought.

That was my thought as well. Little hybrid babies here we come.

Welcome aboard Daystrom 😛

Tos
    Participant

I’m no expert on pregnancy or the workings of bio cylons, but they only had nookie a few days ago. A bit early for signs of preganacy isn’t it.

Headgehog
    Participant

The general fan consensus is that Boomer is pregnant. I agree with Tos that its much too early to know for sure. I’d like to think that it was just the cold beans she ate earlier. But this is television, and the series doesn’t move fast enough for the 3-4 weeks to go by for her to show true pregnancy sickness, so perhaps we are supposed to believe that she is pregnant.

I know that I’m unique in my low opinion of the episode. Even SyFy Portal, which almost always gives a lower rating then me, gave it an A! So y’guys should just ignore me on this episode. After re-watching it though, I do have some more respect for it.

Anonymous
    Tos wrote:

I’m no expert on pregnancy or the workings of bio cylons, but they only had nookie a few days ago. A bit early for signs of preganacy isn’t it.

Then the question would become, why was she sick?

It might be radiation, might be her fear of betraying the Cylons, lots of answers, but morning sickness seems the most obvious.

psychokillerbunny
    Participant

I found the celtic music annoying a bit too, but i am getting used to it in most american films/programmes now i almost expect it to turn up. I liked the focus on apollo a bit more this time and did think if starbuck was such a good friend and based on the fact you want to live therefore you want him to succeed you would try and be a bit more supportive/try to help him rather than be the way she is over it. just a thought.

Sam: “Where should I put this thing so that it doesn’t hurt anyone we know
    or care about?”
    Max:”Out the window, Sam. There’s nobody but strangers out there.”
    -Sam & Max: Hit The Road

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.