Harry Potter – Spoilers Ahoy

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums Other Forums The Pub Harry Potter – Spoilers Ahoy

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    theFrey
    Participant

Well, lucky for me, I have a down on its luck Movie Plex right down the road from me. As I bounced out of bed late this morning (theSpouse remember not to snooze but to actually shut off his alarm this morning 😯 ) looked at the clock and realized it I hustled I could make it in time for the first showing. Which amazingly enough only cost $2.00 !!??! What is up with that? πŸ™‚

Anyhow. The movie was pretty good, the pacing as you have heard was indeed faster and the visuals were as always stunning.

Problemos? Fast pacing comes at the expense of subtlety. The story was a tad chopped up and the charters were a bit over drawn. I was kind of worried about this from the poster and the trailers. Face it, almost every sneak glimpse of Ron we have had showed him with an agonized look on his face. This continues almost through out the whole movie. Somehow, while not as devil may care as the twins, I do not recall Ron-of-the-book being an old hen of a character. πŸ˜›

Malfoy was done much the same, bully-moment, abject-coward-moment. Come on. If you saw, the trailers you saw most of the Malfoy moments. Previously when Mr. Malfoy choose to leave the field, he usually sneered and smirked on his merry way, this episode it was bully – oh my – run-for-my-life ect… πŸ˜› πŸ˜› So not canon.

Oh, and everyone in this movie spent so much time being grubby, I wanted to stand up and scream β€œHave you people never heard of wet naps!!”

On the happier side, the Fat Lady in the picture was played by Dawn French – Who many of you may know from the BBC shows, Vicar of Dibley ect… She was very good, I wish I could have seen more of her. The night bus was a hoot, and again the Visuals were just stunning. If this were a real place I would be packing my bags for a vacation even as we speak er.. type. β€œNo sweetie, Aunt can’t visit you right now, yes I know I have finally made it to UK-land, but Aunt is busy… β€œ I will tell you how great this was, If I was there, I would take… Walks! Yes, walks. πŸ˜€ The covered bridge was particularly well done.

If you want to know more about the movie but are not yet ready to brave the movies you can try this site. It has a great article on it. http://www.annesplace.net/harrypotter/moviemagic.html

Anonymous

2 bucks?!? Lucky you, costs an arm and a leg down here, 9 bucks at the local Edwards πŸ™

On the happier side, the Fat Lady in the picture was played by Dawn French – Who many of you may know from the BBC shows, Vicar of Dibley ect… She was very good, I wish I could have seen more of her.

Also the other half of French and Saunders which happens to be one of my favs πŸ˜€

Can’t wait to see it. Emma Thompson seems to have undergone quite the transformation as well. Thanks for the write-up!

theFrey
    Participant

I thought Snape looked a lot better in this movie than the previous ones. He looked less oily/greasy. And of course seeing Alan Rickman in a dress was a hoot. Yeah Neville!

The gentleman (Michael Gambon) now playing Dumbledor did a good job. While not as grand looking as Richard Harris the change was not as jaring as I might have thought.

Deathscythehell
    Participant

iv seen all the movies and read all the books and id have to say…. this movie is the best one yet, the dementors werent as scary as they could have been, but the wherewolf lupin was extremly frightening ( but then again wherewolfs are one of my biggest fears )

although something about the movies i never liked was how thay removed the charchter peeves the poltergihst, i liked that charachter and when i first saw sorcerers stone i was dissapointed that they removed him compleatly, yet they kept all of the other ghosts, even though nearly headless nick wasent in prisoner of azkaban

sarahent
    Participant

Different director: good
    Cowardly Malfoy: bad
    Hogsmeade in the snow: good!
    leaving out explaining who Moony, Wormtail, Prongs, and Padfoot were: bad
    CGI: good
    soundtrack: wonderful
    flying scenes: good
    moving paintings: good good good
    Sirius and Lupin extended hugging scene: extremely good!

My favourite so far. I had fun whispering “Shire…..Baggins!” to my friend when the dementors showed up.

Anonymous

Spoiler warning once again, you have been warned!

sarahent wrote:

Different director: good
    Cowardly Malfoy: bad
    Hogsmeade in the snow: good!
    leaving out explaining who Moony, Wormtail, Prongs, and Padfoot were: bad
    CGI: good
    soundtrack: wonderful
    flying scenes: good
    moving paintings: good good good
    Sirius and Lupin extended hugging scene: extremely good!

My favourite so far. I had fun whispering “Shire…..Baggins!” to my friend when the dementors showed up.

Couldnt agree more. Especially with Malfoy, wth? Guy is a snot, sure, but he always takes his whooping, and doesn’t run away. Heck, he even threatens to kill Harry in the latest book.

As for the funniest ‘silly’ mistake I laughed at:

Does the actor who plays Filch realize that Michael Gamdon is Dumbledore and not someone else? Because throughout the movie he keeps calling him: Professor

πŸ˜›

I loved it thougt. Was way too fast paced (How can book 4 be 1 movie when it’s twice as long as this book?) however. I went with 2 other people, one of whom hadn’t read the books and I ended up having to explain:

Who are the 4 names on the map?
    How did Sirius get the password?
    Why did Sirius know Peter was alive?
    What was that deer Harry saw?
    Why would Dumbledore hire a werewolf?
    There’s only one Quiddich match a year?

And it went on and on for a few hours and many cups of coffee πŸ˜› And let me tell you, nothing pisses off Sci-Fi fans more than someone whipping out a “Time Changing” device at the 11th hour. I tried my best to explain it was really obvious in the book, and there was far more explaination.

I really hope this guy gets to direct book 5, his vision is far better than Colombus’s in this ‘geezers opinion. I especially liked the new gothic influence on House Slytheran. The Dementors rocked as well. Basically the whole film was quite good =) And Dawn French’s singing voice is much better than that!

Anonymous
    ”LexxLurker” wrote:

I really hope this guy gets to direct book 5, his vision is far better than Colombus’s in this ‘geezers opinion.

He won’t. Book 5 (Goblet of Fire) is already in production, and it’s being directed by Mike Newell. I’d not hold out much hope, as he’s basically a nonentity, and not a director with a distinctive style like Alfonso Cuaron.

Deathscythehell
    Participant

BOOK 5! book 5 is order of the pheonix! book 4 is goblet of fire…. and you guys call your selves geezers! ( BTW aleck did you notice that you are on your 666th post?

sarahent
    Participant

Oh, and the “Harry playing with his wand” bit at the beginning was brilliant. Kept me giggling.

lexxrobotech
    Participant

all boys play with their wands when they’re teens. 😈

My review –

I’ve seen it three times now.

Believe it or not, it’s my least favourite. That doesn’t mean I didn’t enjoy it. I loved it. It was great. In my opinion it could have been a lot better with not much extra cost.

Firstly, it was to short. I could have sat through four hours of Prisoner of Azkaban with a boyle on my bum and a bursting bladder… purely because it’s Harry Potter.

The special effects were awesome, for lack of a better word. Apart from the last shot of Sirius when he flies away on Buckbeak. That looked a little ‘stop-motion’ to me. Reminded me of Clash of the Titans. (great though it is)

I think that Grint’s performance as Ron is by far the best performance.

Oldman played Sirius well, although I kept thinking that Sirius isn’t supposed to be that short.

I didn’t like the lack of explantions to certain events and objects ie the map and who the characters were.

I also felt that it didn’t show enough of The Weasleys and the Hogwarts staff.

The two things that bothered me most were :

– Lack of explaining sub plots/events.

– The editing. It was so stop start. It was poorly cut and the pin hole fade outs were pathetic. Especially the end freeze frame of Harry at the end of the movie.

I must admit that some of the screen shots were breathtaking. The Dementors were terrific. This movie was always going to be hard to do, as it is my favorite book, and what the book offers that a movie can’t was that there was always a fear within the school of Sirius being out there. No matter what is going on in the book there is mention of Sirius in every chapter. You don’t get that suspense in the movie.

My best bits

– The Lupin full moon transistion. The best werewolf Ive ever seen on screen, and thats saying something. If I was 10 years old and I saw that I would have planted a warm coil in my underpants.

– Ron’s spider nightmare. Damn fantastic! Especially Harry’s chirp, ‘you tell them Ron!’

This is definately the movie of the year so far, and probably will remain the years best movie.

I feel, beyond doubt, that they could make all seven movies provided the current cast is kept. I didn’t notice them looking older than they’re supposed to be. They looked like lankey teens. If they did a movie every year and a half I could see this being a 7 movie saga with the greatest of ease.

theFrey
    Participant

I guess the question is going to be do the actors WANT to do all seven? Since they are on screen pretty much all the time, and on screen as in the book, it is usually all three of them at once, they don’t get many breaks.

Also, since unlike adult actors they have a full time gig trying to complete their education when they are not filming…. They don’t have the opportunity to do smaller parts in other things so they can break out of this role and have another body of work to build on once they become adults.

Anonymous

Did nobody think that Lupin was great! I mean the actor! I thought he was terrific! Sirius was a blast but you just KNEW that Oldman was gonna be good.

It’s my fave of the series so far. I think what dissapoints is the awe and spectacle of Harry Potter has gone. The first film was a jaw dropper, the second was good (though it relied on the first too much) and this last film basically had to stand on it’s own two feet. I think it did that and didn’t fall into the too corny trap.

Anonymous
    lexxrobotech wrote:

all boys play with their wands when they’re teens. 😈

I still do πŸ™‚

theFrey
    Participant

Ummm, Saddy? That was way more information than we needed. πŸ˜‰

I do think that this movie would have been better if it had been a bit longer.

Which is why I thought the next one should be a two parter. There is so much information in the current portion of the story, that it really suffered from being compressed down to a normal (ish) movie size.

Anonymous
    theFrey wrote:

Ummm, Saddy? That was way more information than we needed.

Ha! Wand envy! πŸ™‚

I’ll have you know my wand is very special to me, it can do magic tricks and everything…. even other peeps like playing with it, you just wouldn’t believe what I can do with my wand.

…. and it’s not just some twig ya know, it’s a real stick!

πŸ˜‰

I agree… erm about the next film. In fact I seem to faintly remember a SadNews article about Warner Bros. toying with the idea about making the next film a two parter (or was that the fifth…. the next one has the world quidditch championship right?)

sarahent
    Participant

I just want to see a Veela. Rrrrrowr!

lexxrobotech
    Participant

I’ll probably get shot down for saying this… but I think that it would be rather cool if the next Harry Potters are mini-series and not movies.

As long as they have the same cast. πŸ˜›

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.