Has anyone here actually seen the first episode yet?

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums Animated Cult Sci Fi Tripping the Rift Has anyone here actually seen the first episode yet?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    SadGeezer
    Keymaster

It’s a bit of a cult thing and I know not too many peeps from the SadBOARD have seen the show (sept me and Headge). Has anyone else seen it?

Anonymous

I’ve seen it!

Also, does anyone know where to find the short test clip of Six on a motorcycle?
    I had it once, but I lost it in a HD crash…and can’t remember where I found the thing in the first place!

[ 01-08-2002: Message edited by: Road Hunter ]

Headgehog
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Road Hunter:
    Also, does anyone know where to find the short test clip of Six on a motorcycle?

Here you go!
    You can find this and other video clips of the characters in the people section of Sadgeezers Guide to Tripping the Rift

Anonymous

Right on!

Flamegrape
    Participant

I’ve seen this cartoon before! It was a short cartoon that was floating around the internet two or three years ago. As I recall, it was pretty funny. But… aw, jeez, guys! C’mon! It wasn’t that funny! And someone gave them money to make more of them? Okay, I’ll give any new show the benefit of the doubt.

Maybe they’ll do a little more with the show than blatantly lampoon very well-known science-fiction stories. But if every episode is just a game of “recognize the famous sci-fi reference”, then I don’t think I can handle it. If you like Weird Al Yankovic enough to buy his albums, I think this is the show for you.

But the existence of this show does tell me that if I can make just one computer-generated cartoon and release it on the internet, then I have a chance at turning it into a t.v. show or motion picture.

Flamegrape
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Road Hunter:
    …does anyone know where to find the short test clip of Six on a motorcycle?…

It’s a topless girl with big tits bouncing up and down in the seat of Kanada’s motorcycle from Akira.

The above sentence describing the animation sounds like it’s hilarious, but it isn’t. The animation is rather lame and pointless and is anything but funny. It pains me to think that some computer animator went to great lengths to achieve technical perfection of the physical dynamics of titty-bounce. However, I may be missing some sort of point? For me, the animation seemed pointless.

The concept of a topless girl with huge tits that jiggle while she bounces up and down in the seat of Kanada’s bike could have been presented in an amusing way. For instance, maybe we could see her face? Seeing someone’s face helps to determine that character’s emotional state and therefore elicit a response from the viewer. Another idea is have her grab the handlebars (as if she were grabbing the shoulders of a lover) with a look of combined suprise and pleasure on her face. Mixed emotions sometimes adds to irony. Even better, have Kanada himself step into the spotlight and spill his drink as he reacts with complete astonishment at the sight of some hot chicking getting off on his bike! Now that would be humorous!

Or maybe to get to the point, it sucked and it wasn’t funny.

Why did I go on and on, criticising this four-second-long video clip? Because I’m a computer artist and animator myself. I’ve seen this kind of stuff before in art school. It’s not very good. Oh, sure, it looks cool. But do you realise how much work went into making that 4-second clip? Entirely too much.

I’ll be keeping a close eye on this show. A very, very critical eye.

Anonymous

I just downloaded last night, they should put up a disclaimer

Watch this Stoned or Drunk or you may find it boring

I found some of the parodies funny but I wasent that impressed :/ Havent seen anything but the first ep so my judgement is fairly premature.

Flamegrape
    Participant

I just downloaded the first episode from the official website. (I haven’t seen it in a couple of years.) Well… they’re going to have to get rid of the nudity if they’re going to show it on television. And they’re going to have to get rid of the really dirty words. Those two primary elements of the cartoon constitute tha majority of it’s humor. In other words, the made-for-tv version will be completely re-worked. Are you sure they aren’t going to just present it on SciFi.Com?

I have difficulty really liking this cartoon because of some of the fundamental flaws inherent in the animation. They used 3d Studio Max version 2 for the first episode. Currently, version 4.2 is available. There are improvements, but none that would have made a vast difference. If they paid as much attention to the movement of Six’s shoulders as they did with her tit’s, I think I would have appreciated it more. For God’s sake, videogame characters animate better than this chick.

I’m sorry, Tony, but I don’t have alot of good things to say about this show.

Anonymous

Heheh, I allow myself to indulge in bad taste once in a while. It’s part of my therapy for being over-critical to the point of not enjoying much anymore…so I flipped gears.

So I still say…crappy animation of a chick on a motorcycle…right on!

Anonymous

And for all that, it’s still cult sci fi viewing!

I think that the show will most certainly be toned down and prolly very little nudity, but I think it will still be very cool!

The SAadGeezer TV section (as was) would have gone down this route, new sci fi stories that don’t take themselves too seriously AND with lots of ‘gratuitous’ have got to be good for the poor state of world TV sci fi.

I can’t wait to see the show next year!

Headgehog
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Flamegrape:
    Maybe they’ll do a little more with the show than blatantly lampoon very well-known science-fiction stories. But if every episode is just a game of “recognize the famous sci-fi reference”, then I don’t think I can handle it.

Yea who would watch a spaceship show with an inept captain, a sarcastic robot (who wants to kill the captain), and a sexy woman (who more or less controls the captain); a show which pretty much is just a satire of classic scifi movies/shows?

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by SadGeezer:
    It’s a bit of a cult thing and I know not too many peeps from the SadBOARD have seen the show (sept me and Headge). Has anyone else seen it?

Yes, [oh, HedgeHog, I’m so sorry to zone on you darlin’!], I have seen the whole thing. It was on one of those Kevin Smith specials on the SciFi Channel’s Exposure. They did get rid of the ‘f’ words and there was nary a booby in sight, just hints of boobies to be. But, all the gore remained. I just remember it because I have such a hatred for clowns! [b]evil![/b] But, I was cracking up at the golden robot who kept getting screwed over by Chode, I thought it was pretty funny, a nice C3PO knock-off. Now, the motorcycle thingy, I don’t know how much time it took to make it but if it took more time to play it; that’s just sad. But, hey, boys and their toys [even if they’re computerized, I guess]. I saw the sneak preview for part two over at Pocketmovies and it looked like more clown [i]shudder![/i] fun, killing his own men and goin’ for the lil’ purple dude, plus a mysterious past, gotta have a mysterious past [even if you were just some prison clown’s bitch ]. I’m lookin’ forward to it, maybe it will be more evolved.

Flamegrape
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Headgehog:

Yea who would watch a spaceship show with an inept captain, a sarcastic robot (who wants to kill the captain), and a sexy woman (who more or less controls the captain); a show which pretty much is just a satire of classic scifi movies/shows?

Actually, I wasn’t talking about how similar it was to Lexx. I was talking about extremely blatant sci-fi references such as the clown in the Darth Vader costume using the lightsaber. What I’m wondering is if this show is merely going to be a grocery list of blatant popular science-fiction references?

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by SadGeezer:

it would be impressive to see if anyone knows the status on the production itself. Is it being produced at all?
    or struck with more delays. even the official site’s last posting was in March. what is going on, really?

Headgehog
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by :

it would be impressive to see if anyone knows the status on the production itself. Is it being produced at all?
    or struck with more delays. even the official site’s last posting was in March. what is going on, really?

Ironically I asked myself that, this morning, while pondering scifi’s intentions. Give me a few days to ask around.

Headgehog
    Participant
    Flamegrape
    Participant

Cool! Another show that I won’t be watching because the SciFi Channel will use it as lure to gain more viewers and then cancel because of “ratings” and “spiraling production costs” despite overwhelming fan appeal. Screw SciFi Channel. I’m not watching it again. (Except for the final half of the fourth season of Farscape.)

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by Headgehog:
    Okay, here’s what I’ve got so far, the series is still a go, as recent as Aug 28.

Here’s a press release from Sci Fi, also from 8/28:
    http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/art-sfc.html?2002-08/28/10.30.sfc

quote:

….
    Leading the charge was SCI FI Friday, a two-hour block of original series that included the original series Stargate SG-1 and Farscape. The block set a summer record for the channel, averaging a 1.4 rating (1.1 million households). That represented a 27 percent ratings increase over last summer’s ratings average for the time period and a 46 percent increase in household delivery over last year.

Considering the direction SciFi and USA have been drifting, I would be very surprised if this show is still on board.

DarkBobo
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Flamegrape:
    I’ve seen this cartoon before! It was a short cartoon that was floating around the internet two or three years ago. As I recall, it was pretty funny. But… aw, jeez, guys! C’mon! It wasn’t that funny! And someone gave them money to make more of them? Okay, I’ll give any new show the benefit of the doubt.

Maybe they’ll do a little more with the show than blatantly lampoon very well-known science-fiction stories. But if every episode is just a game of “recognize the famous sci-fi reference”, then I don’t think I can handle it. If you like Weird Al Yankovic enough to buy his albums, I think this is the show for you.

I agree with what you mention, but give it the benefit of the doubt. I recall not liking the original episode, but the new scripts actually have a decent plot and believe it or not address current events and sensitive issues (in their own way).

As to whether or not they’ll be funny, I’ll leave that upto you guys…

BTW the show is in production.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.