Has anyone seen ‘The Tick’ (live action) series yet?

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums General Sci Fi General Sci Fi Stuff Has anyone seen ‘The Tick’ (live action) series yet?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    SadGeezer
    Keymaster

If so, what’s it like? Is it as good as the cartoon series?

Anonymous

Sad One,

Here is something from scifi.com:

quote:

The Tick
    Fox, Thursday, 8:30 p.m.
    Premieres Nov. 1

A non-caped big blue crusader stands on a roof overlooking the city known as The City, waiting to leap into action the moment he’s needed. But until then, The Tick (Patrick Warburton) hangs out with the other superheroes and his sidekick, Arthur (David Burke), doing the things superheroes do when they’re not fighting evil. So mostly they hang out at restaurants, argue and admire the pursuits of other superheroes. All right, there is the occasional killer robot or Russian bad guy to deal with, but the bigger problem seems to be that The Tick won’t put the cap back on the Arthur’s toothpaste after he’s done. This half-hour live-action comedy series is based on Ben Edlund’s cult comic book and the Comedy Central cartoon. Fox, with the help of Warburton, has done a great job bringing The Tick to life. Weird, goofy, silly and often very funny, this twisted look at superheroes is directed by Men In Black’s Barry Sonnenfeld.

The Outlook: Talk about a long-awaited show. The idea for a live-action The Tick has been kicking around since 1996, and it looked like it actually was going to make it onto the schedule during midseason until the network started worrying about how several potential strikes might affect their schedule. The buzz on this was positive right from the beginning, but will anyone still care after all this time has passed? They just might, although let’s hope Fox will try it out on another night if Thursdays against Survivor prove difficult. The good news is that it’s paired with another funny show called The Family Guy, and it’s not up against Friends.

At least it’s not that far away from us. I’ve also heard that it is very similar to the cartoon series, so much so, that Fox doesn’t really know what to do with it. Another important note, the lack of tv ads for this show is very obvious. I’ve only seen one or two in the last few months. Hmmm. HMMMMMMmmmm.

Anonymous

Ads during the MLB World Series say the new Tick series starts on Nov. 8th in the US.

Anonymous

That’s right, it has’nt been on air yet but I will be right there and be back here to let you know what I think of it.
    I am the Monkey!

Anonymous

LOVED IT!!!!!!!
    Been on awhile and have to go but will be back soon to say more about the great job the actors did.

dgrequeen
    Participant

I admit, I don’t know what the comic or cartoon were like, but I think the TV show is a scream. I’ve always thought Patrick Warburton was funny, and he is just perfect as the Tick.

Anonymous

Heya! Dgre.

If you can find any tapes or anyone who has the Tick cartoon on video, I highly recommend watching it. The characters are slightly changed on the live action from the cartoon, but happily, I see that they have kept the humor!

Ah, the days of DerFlauterMouse (sp?) and AmericanMaid, LMAO! There was one cartoon episode where their personalities got switched and Arthur became “The Tongue.” A giant living tongue. He was exclaiming throughout the episode “I can taste the floor.”
    “Ewww, I can taste the wall.”

And the all time hilarious, as he was sitting on The Tick who was now a donkey…

“I can taste your BACK!”

OMG, it brings a huge smile to my face just thinking about it! *chuckle*

It’s a new must watch for our family.

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by Trillian:
    If you can find any tapes or anyone who has the Tick cartoon on video, I highly recommend watching it. The characters are slightly changed on the live action from the cartoon, but happily, I see that they have kept the humor!

The characters of Der Fledermaus and American Maid had to be changed (to, respectively, BatManuel and Lady Liberty) because those characters were created for the cartoon series (which was based on the comic) and the live-action show is licensed from the comic publishers and creator. DF and AM aren’t their property to license.

–Aleck

Anonymous

I thought The Tick was hilarious! Watching his antennae move around just about made me bust a gut laughing!

The BatManuel character was a riot as well!

dgrequeen
    Participant

Okay, so The Tick had to struggle for laughs a little more this week, and Patrick Warburton looked more uncomfortable in the costume than he did last week, but it was still hysterical. I agree with Doffy, those antennae alone are worth watching.

BatManuel is a scream. And Lady Liberty crying her eyes out, with her makeup all smeared. But they need to give Mothman more to do.

Lines that made me laugh:

“I like the cut of his gibberish.”

“You… KILLED The Immortal?”

[ 16-11-2001: Message edited by: dgrequeen ]

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by dgrequeen:
    Okay, so The Tick had to struggle for laughs a little more this week, and Patrick Warburton looked more uncomfortable in the costume than he did last week, but it was still hysterical. I agree with Doffy, those antennae alone are worth watching.

BatManuel is a scream. And Lady Liberty crying her eyes out, with her makeup all smeared. But they need to give Mothman more to do.

I disagree. I think, story-wise, that this week’s episode flowed much more smoothly than the premiere (I think premieres are almost always too awkwardly paced for their own good), and the laughs came easier because of it. The Tick’s eulogy was hilarious, I think, and the characters of BatManuel and Captain (I mistakenly called her Lady earlier as well) Liberty were expanded on nicely.

It’s true that Arthur needs to be given more to do, but as we’re sort of seeing the show from his POV (outsider finding himself among superheroes, the new and relatively “normal” guy, etc. all cause easy audience identification), I think his character works well as it stands. Give him a lot more action, shift the focus away from the other three characters and adopt a third-person “objective” stance, and the audience ends up detatched from the characters and the action. I can see an eventual shift to a more third-person POV (the cartoon series was more along these lines) developing as the series progresses (if it actually does go on and isn’t canceled within 6 episodes) and the characters become more established, but I think the way it’s being handled now is just right.

–Aleck

Anonymous

Interesting comments.

The show hasn’t aired in the UK yet, but I managed to see the ‘not for air’ premier episode.

It seemed to be based on the first episode of the cartoon series (‘The Tick meets the Idea men’ …. but without the idea men

I liked the show but it seemed to make me miss the cartoon series more. I managed to find a few of the cartoon episodes on the net and am now in the process of converting them to VCD.

I think the comic books were wonderful (especially the first 11), the first live action show was gret, but the cartoon (especially the voices) and the imaculate writing of Ben Edlund (the creator and the only one who could make the Tick come out with his legendary Tickisms)… erm… was one of the best things I’ve seen on TV.

Fave quote (and I hope they put this in the Live Action Show) was, @On tructh and Justice there can be no price…. But there are established credit limits.

That was my signiture for emails for about two years.

There are loads of them:

“Honk if you love justice”

“SPOOOOOOOON!”

“Gravity is a harsh mistress.”

“You’re not going crazy, you’re going sane in a crazy world!”

And the stupendous,

“Well, once again my friend, we find that science is a two-headed beast. One head is nice, it gives us aspirin and other modern conveniences,…but the other head of science is bad! Oh beware the other head of science, Arthur, it bites!”

Or what about that episode when the Tick fights a monster cloned from his own nasal fluid/mucus,

“So foul gelatin, you would do battle with the nose of your birth?”

or

“Mucal invader, is there no end to your oozing?!”

Trillian: I think the Tick episode with the tongue was “The Tick vs Science”

My fave episode was, “That Moustache Feeling”, seeing the Tick attacked by his beloved moustache was just the funniest!

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by SadGeezer:
    I think the comic books were wonderful (especially the first 11), the first live action show was gret, but the cartoon (especially the voices) and the imaculate writing of Ben Edlund (the creator and the only one who could make the Tick come out with his legendary Tickisms)… erm… was one of the best things I’ve seen on TV.

I agree. But wasn’t Edlund the head writer on the live-action premiere? I thought, dialogue-wise, that it lived up to the standards of the comic and the animated series. Like I said, I think the pacing was a bit off, but it seems to be improving with time, especially in the transition from comic to cartoon to live-action.

–Aleck

Anonymous

I am the reclusive “Horse” of “horseandmonkey”. I loved the cartoon series. The show is enjoyable and keeps me smiling thruoghout the 1/2 hour but seldome makes me laugh out loud the way the cartoon did. I though it was a shame the way they took a strong female character like American Maid and made her into a ditzy slut as Lady Liberty. “Captain Liberty”.
    sorry.
    any opinions?

Anonymous

No mistake that was Horse this is Monkey. i liked the show and look at it much like RD and HHG. I have read the books and seen the shows, got the tapes…..even got the t-shirts/hats. All 3 shows are different from the book/comic,etc. I will hold on to this poney as long as it runs!!
    Horse says I’m scaring him. But he is the Horse so a poney is no competition!
    I also have to say that I wouldnt mind going down in history as “killing” The Imortal

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by Monkey:
    I am the reclusive “Horse” of “horseandmonkey”. I loved the cartoon series. The show is enjoyable and keeps me smiling thruoghout the 1/2 hour but seldome makes me laugh out loud the way the cartoon did. I though it was a shame the way they took a strong female character like American Maid and made her into a ditzy slut as Lady Liberty. “Captain Liberty”.
    sorry.
    any opinions?

Eh, to each their own. I try not to compare the live-action series with the animated series with the comic, and appreciate them for what each is. It’s nearly impossible to capture the kind of anarchy possible in a comic or animated series in a live-action setting successfully, and I think they’re doing an admirable job with the medium. It’s closer in tone (but not nearly as dark or seedy), I think, to Bob Burden’s Flaming Carrot comic series than the rapid-fire hilarity of the animated show. Actually, it’s more of a cross, tonally-speaking, between the two.

And you think Capt. Liberty is a ditzy slut? Wow. I don’t see her that way at all. She’s a passionate person, to be sure, but I think she’s pretty strong, both physically and intellectually, and walks that “I have to be good and upstanding as a super hero, but dang, I’d like to…” line pretty well. I mean, she’s not the same character (in any sense) as American Maid was, but legally, she can’t be. The only similarities between Der Fledermaus and BatManuel, for instance, are those ears. Other than that, they’re completely different cats. Because DF and AM are the property of the animated series’ producers, CL and BM have to be different enough to not get anyone sued.

–Aleck

Anonymous

This is the Monkey but just showed Horse that he got a reponce and asked him if he had any thing to say.
    “I agree”
    Horse

Anonymous

This is the Horse. I want to reiterate ” I thouruly (sp?) enjoyed the new
    tick show. my only issue is that
    american maid was a strong intelligent and courageous character in the toon series. that sort of thing is rare in television these days. usually most female characters are portrayed as ditzes, bitches, and sluts on most tv shows. i just found it refreshing to see such a positive female role model as AM and think its a shame they feel they have to fall back on such typical stereotypes for women. What about it ladies? are you with me or do you want to go on being seen in the male oriented, predetermined roles which they say the public expects of you? I for one expect more of women and I suspect that most women do too.

Anonymous

I was going to make a joke at Horses expence but then it hit me… I got him off the couch and “talking” to people so it is a good thing tonite. You may never hear from Horse again but you did tonite.

DalekTek790
    Participant

I saw the pilot for the new live-action Tick show. I found it pretty funny.

I used to watch the old animated series way back when. I recall a multitude of humerous super heroes and villains. I remember die Fledermaus, Sewer Urchin, Crusading Chameleon, Thrakorzog, the Breadmaster, the Humsn Carpet, and some gun-toting maniac who cracked me up. I remember the original show as being really funny, but maybe that’s because I was younger then.

——————
    It’s over, kids. Read a book!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.