Help from Mr Sadgeezer

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    ADM
    Participant

Mr Geezer (you don’t mind me calling you that do you!?!), I understand you have the privilege of downloading the Buffster before it hits the UK, well I got meself some good wholesome broadbandy goodness and I woz wondering where you get the downloads from, unless of course it’s a hush-hush thing, but I’d be one happy puppy if you told!!!

Anonymous

Hehe, lots of braodbandy goodness – Coool!

You need to get yourself a newsreader (say GrabIT) and subscribe to the ‘alt.binaries.multimedia.buffy-v-slayer’ newsgroup from your broadband ISP News service (I use BlueYonder).

When you download the group headers you’ll see whole episodes (split into RAR files) and all you need to do is download the and unzip (unRAR) and you will be left with eitehr a VCD (400Mb) or an SVCD (800Mb – and very much better quality) mpeg file.

I normally burn the file onto a CD and play it on my DVD player (I’m such a happy GeekyGeezer).

Any problems, post em in this thread. I’m sure lots of other SadGeezers and LadySadGeezers can help out too.

Headgehog
    Participant

If you’re feeling lucky, you can try a P2P program such as Kazaa or WinMX. I used Kazaa to dl the episode that aired two wednesdays ago, becasue Buffy was pre-empted by a basketball game in Philly.
    I say lucky because the process is often slow, and finding the files from reliable host is a task unto itself.

ADM
    Participant

Aaaargh…looks like I’ve missed it this week, any idea when they post the files so I can get me grubby paws on them???
    I tried Kazaa as well, talk about slow…broadband=596kb per second…Kazaa download speed slower than the 56k modem I just got rid of…I got broadband to get away from this sort of thing…that’ll teach me!!!
    Anyhoo, thanx for the help, I still may need a little more advice, like anywhere else I can get the Buffster, or Angel and maybe a nice slice of Enterprise.
    Cheers…

Anonymous

The news server should hold the files for a few days so you shouldn’t have missed this weeks episode!

Try again today, it may be that your news service takes time for all the files to propogate!.

It normally takes between 1 and 2 days after airing for me to be able to start downloading them.

Rag
    Participant

I HATE YOU ALL!!!! I WANT BROADBAND TOOO!!!!!!

Oh, did I say that out loud?

Anonymous

It’s worse than that Rag!

We recently moved house and the MOST important feature of thehouse that we purchased was not location or, to a certain extent price, but if the place was in a cable area!

We simply wouldn’t have moved here if not!

Also, by using broadband cable me and Newkate saved around £50 per month over use of a phone bill (I know things are different nowadays, but that was the original motivation).

I have to say, it’s been one of my best ever investments!

ADM
    Participant

Yea I agree Mr Sadgeezer, I raise my goblet to the great Broadband God for giving me the gift of high speed downloads, and having pity on the lesser mortals (those being 56k users in case you were wondering!)
    I’ve downloaded four new buffy eps on Kazaa in the last week, but oddly even with ADSL you still get sometimes a slow connection to some sites, but that’s probably due to traffic.
    Rag you must join the club, it’s pretty cheap now and becoming widespread, come and enjoy some delicious nutricious broadbandy goodness!!!
    ADM

theFrey
    Participant

I agree Sad. We just bought some property, but I would not consider ANYTHING that was not in a cable area.

Rag
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by ADM:
    Rag you must join the club, it’s pretty cheap now and becoming widespread, come and enjoy some delicious nutricious broadbandy goodness!!!

Oh, I SOOOOO want to. Just brought a flat though. I’m trying to let my finances settle down a bit first, sort out what my regular outgoings are before I dive in with another £30 a month. Some point in the new year I think.

In the mean time I would like to thank you all for pointing out the micracles of highspeed connection that I am missing. I should point out that my out burst of wrath has now transformed into a cold, calculated malice. The sort of malice that, if I were an axe wielding maniac, would require you all to take extra care when leaving your homes. Fortunately I’m not. So your all ok.

At this point I was about to add some witty comment about open coke cans in the fridge, but I don’t know how many of you would have caught the reference, so I decided not to.

Headgehog
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Rag:
    At this point I was about to add some witty comment about open coke cans in the fridge, but I don’t know how many of you would have caught the reference, so I decided not to.

Personally I like my soda’s flat, so feel free to open them up for me. In the mean time I need to download some more episodes of Daria.

ADM
    Participant

New Year might be good anyway Rag, as it would seem that Buffy and Angel are 1 ep away from having that wonderful American invention called a Hiatus, so no Buff or Angel until the new year, I was thinking of downloading Enterprise…but it looks pants so I won’t bother!!!
    In the meantime I’ve just found out that some moooovies are downloadable so I’m gonna have a stab at Reign of Fire in ultra glorious technicolour…or otherwise known as Divx!!!
    BTW I hate Kazaa, I’m letting loads of peeps have my files so I can get my participation level up(407 Guru at the moment), and those barstools keep knocking 100 points off it everytime I log off, so when you do get ADSL, Kazaa is a pain that I wouldn’t recommend.
    ADM

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.