Help me remember an old tv show

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums General Sci Fi General Sci Fi Stuff Help me remember an old tv show

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Loli
    Participant

Hi all, I’m trying to piece together some fragmented memories of my youth. I remember watching an old british scifi show with my Nan that scared the hell out of me. What I remember is a mean tyrant type person trying to force a young girl into a chamber I suspect to be killed. To demonstrate how the chamber worked, he placed a balloon inside which was expanded until it burst. The young girl seemed to be with an older frail man who may have been her father. He seemed to be encouraging her to enter the chamber. Eventually the scared girl entered the chamber and began to feel the effects. All I remember then is that she passed out and then there was commercial break. Does anybody remember this scene? Can you point me to the name of the show it is from? I’ve had this memory for 20 or more years and have never really understood the context of what was happening. I was so young when I saw it. I’d be very grateful for your help ๐Ÿ™‚

SadGeezer
    Keymaster

Sorry, I don’t know.  Certainly sounds scary tho!

Starman41
    Participant

Sounds like a doctor Who episode but unsure which one.  As a child, i was scared many time by watching Doctor Who and they can take you to sacrry places sometimes ( when your a kid).  Start there, maybee it will spark a memory.

Uabhar
    Participant

Not Dr Who if there was a commercial break. 20+ years ago – hmm. Let me think aout it and I’ll get back to you ๐Ÿ™‚

Uabhar
    Participant

With apologies for posting a link to a rival sci-fi site!!

Any of these shows ring a bell? http://totalscifionline.com/features/5769-the-100-greatest-sci-fi-fantasy-tv-shows

theFrey
    Participant

Well I was glad to see that Lexx at least made the cut. ๐Ÿ˜€ 78) Lexx (1997-2002)
    Weird and completely off-the-wall, Lexx starred Michael McManus as Kai, an undead, emotionless assassin and Eva Habermann (later Xenia Seeberg) as love slave Zev, and began as a series of TV movies. The crew of organic spaceship Lexx battle a hostile insect race while getting their rocks off and satisfying their other appetites. More European in its approach, Lexx found a firm fanbase, but failed to make much mainstream impact.

Uabhar
    Participant

A few classics in the list , right enough – and a few I;ve never heard of!

Some research needed methinks……

SadGeezer
    Keymaster
     That’s a great list!

Seriously, one of the best I’ve seen.  It’s a shame there were so many negative comments to something that someone had obviously taken a lot of time and trouble to create.

There will always be people who want to comment of why some show should be included or why another show should get a higher rating, I personally don’t agree with most of the ratings, but it was great to read them and make a note of some of the shows I hadn’t seen.

One of the things I would like to see would be the inclusion of other foreign language shows, possibly some of the better foreign shows like Death Note or Trigun or the myriad of other Japanese live action or anime Sci Fi shows, or shows like Kin Dza Dza (a film originally release on Russian TV as a two part series).  Good Sci Fi TV isn’t limited to English speaking countries and with the currently poor showing of good Sci Fi on tv lately, a few foreign shows to help us find new and interesting stuff to watch would be great!

The list missed off "Middleman" by the way, which is a crime!

Uabhar
    Participant

I see the links on the left for Kin Dza Dza – need to find the time to wtach it!

I agree with your comments on the relative merits of lists – they are very personal to the viewer, nothing wrong with discussion and debate as long as it’ss constructive – which is not always the case unfortunately.

Cheers,

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.