Help! New ISP needed!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    SadGeezer
    Keymaster

I’ve been looking for a new site to host the SG Guide and one which is capable of handling the following requirements:

• Must be able to run ASP scripts, PHP 4 scripts, CGI and have MySQL installed.
    • I also require three domains to be transfered and to be able to park an additional 2 domains.
    • I require at least 750Mb of disk space and minimum 30Gb of bandwidth.

Does anyone know of an ISP that can supply this cheaply and reliably?

Anonymous

Well, I would recommend pair.com, but they don’t use NT, so ASP would be a no-go.

theFrey
    Participant

Hummm, I do not understand half of what you are looking for, and I did not see ASP listed anywhere. But you may want to peek at phpwebhosting.com http://www.phpwebhosting.com/host_details.html

Their blurb says.

Programming…
    Server Side Includes(SSI)
    PHP4 scripting (version 4.2.2 currently)
    Perl, Python, Ruby
    Mod_Rewrite
    GD, ImageMagick, FreeType 2
    Full configuration through .htaccess files
    Your Own cgi-bin
    Password protected directories

Database…
    Your own MySQL database
    (extras on request for free!)
    phpMyAdmin 2.2.2 pre-installed
    More…
    Secure Shell Access(ssh) (secure replacement for telnet)
    Ftp Access
    Crontab
    Most common unix utils
    And more!!!

Rag
    Participant

Force 9 will be able to handle the ASP, PHP4 and mySQL, but we’re not sure about the CGI tho (but if they are running mySQL they should do CGI too). They are pretty reliable and not too expensive (cheapest reliable ADSL access I’ve found). Dunno about space, but the bandwidth shouldn’t be a problem. You can find them at Force9.com.

Alternatively Easynet will do the lot for you, but will not be cheap. They’re at Easynet.com.

AVOID DEMON LIKE THE PLAGUE!!!! They are not cheap anyway, but have recently been bought out. In an attempt to reduce overheads they have (so I have been told) chosen to axe a large number of their technical staff. As a result their service is doing a great impression of a yo-yo, and phone support technicians are more elusive than Nessie.

There will be others, but I have no knowledge of their reliability, etc.

Alternatively, ADSL and host it yerself. Cheapest option yet, but more work for you.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’d recommend a reseller account from blueboxinternet, only the highest standard package only has 22GB/month and costs about $60/month or $600/year, and I can’t find mention of ASP anwhere, although I know they used to offer chillisoft ASP.

You could also look at a dedicated server, which would be the best option really for such a high load, but you’re looking at £159 for example with Positive Internet‘s package (and they don’t appear to offer ASP as standard, though why you’d need both ASP and PHP I don’t know?).

IT might be worth looking at http://www.webfusion.co.uk/%5B/url%5D (who are part of the same company as 123-reg) and http://oneandone.co.uk/%5B/url%5D (who advertise in magazines often and have extremely good prices – seem too good really)

It’s probably a good idea also to visit some of the hosting review sites and forums (don’t have the links right now as at work)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.