Hilton Hotel, Las Vegas – Star Trek Experience

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums Other Forums The Pub Hilton Hotel, Las Vegas – Star Trek Experience

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    YOWAYYO
    Participant

Hello all. I was in Vegas for a few days last week and finally had the opportunity to check out the ‘Star Trek Experience’ (or whatever it’s called) at the Hilton Hotel.

The beginning of the tour consisted of a long timeline chronicling TOS all the way to Voyager and was interspersed with important dates/ events in the Trek world. My parents and my wife seemed to blow through it pretty quickly but I found myself reading with interest and trying to reconcile certain events with the times I thought they had originally occured 😳 Anyway, the prop displays of all things Trek (uniforms, phasers, tricorders, etc…) were also pretty cool to check out. However, the Klingon ‘simulator’ ride and the Borg 4-D show were definately the highlights and everyone present seemed to have a great time. The shuttle craft simulator was particularly fun and, unfortunately, the closest I’ll ever come to cruising the galaxy at warp speed 8)

The gift shop was full of neat merchandise as well as a fair share of cheesy crap. Of course, I had to buy gifts for me since I am the only one I know that would appreciate that sort of stuff.

We ended our tour at Quark’s bar where I had a ‘James Tea Kirk’ (a sort of Long Island iced-tea) and the wife had a ‘Riker Rita.’ My parents split a ‘James Tea Kirk’ and a guy dressed as a Klingon shouted, “Coward!” to my old man and walked off in disgust. πŸ˜†

I’m sure some of you Saddies have visited the Trek attraction. What did you guys think?

theFrey
    Participant

We went there several years ago when the Brit kids were in the country. http://www.thefrey.com/UsConLexxVegas.htm

I bought a few things for theBrother at the gift shop, and I very much liked the ‘trekie’ snack shop and the odd drinks and dishes offered there. πŸ˜†

Sidhecafe
    Participant

Ok, that just might be THE last interesting tidbit to get me to consider heading to Las Vegas…the more I hear the better it sounds…the stuff that has nothing to do with the gambling….I go through money fast enough without trying to lose it!!!

An ex-co-worker went last year and spent most of the time driving out to the national parks near by…..but I’d love to check out this Star Trek Experience thing. I actually did watch the first season of Voyager – pretty zealously too. But then i moved to a hill town with no cable or reception for the next 3 years after that and didn’t see much of anything!

(hillbilly sidhecafe, gardening in the nude and shocking hikers! 😳 ) lol!

YOWAYYO
    Participant
    theFrey wrote:

We went there several years ago when the Brit kids were in the country. http://www.thefrey.com/UsConLexxVegas.htm

I bought a few things for theBrother at the gift shop, and I very much liked the ‘trekie’ snack shop and the odd drinks and dishes offered there. πŸ˜†

I too was amused by the food/ bar items for sale. With a subject matter as rich as ‘Trek’ it must have been a slam dunk coming up with all the names for their products. I would loved to have been part of the brainstorming process.

Also, thanks for the link and great pics of all the Lexxians having a good time. It bought back memories since I also stayed at the MGM so I can sympathize with the task of finding/ getting to one’s room in such a massive hotel.

theFrey
    Participant

They are some mother big hotels aren’t they?

Fortunately for me, a freind who had stayed at the mgm warned me about the long arms radiating out from the elevators. His advice was to get a room by the elevators, this was such a life saver at the MGM, I have done it at numerous large hotels since.

It sure made DC in Atlanta a bit quicker I will tell you.

Next time I go to Vegas, I hope to stay at the Luxor!

Anonymous

I’d love to see a menu of those libations 😈

James “Tea” Kirk still has my laughing. Thanks for the report YOWAYYO!

YOWAYYO
    Participant
    ”LexxLurker” wrote:

I’d love to see a menu of those libations 😈

James “Tea” Kirk still has my laughing. Thanks for the report YOWAYYO!

Yeah, there were some real zingers on the bar menu. There was a mixed drink called the “Seven of Nine” which- you guessed it- had seven ingredients, though not all alcoholic. Shooters like “The Mind Meld” were listed under the heading “Phaser Shots” and non-alcoholic beverages were put under the heading “The Neutral Zone.”

They even had beer packaged as Romulan Ale that they were selling in the gift shop. They were pushing it pretty hard as there were several large displays of cases of the stuff. I would have bought some but they were charging $14.99 a six-pack!!! At that price, it had better come from Romulus.

YOWAYYO
    Participant
    theFrey wrote:

Next time I go to Vegas, I hope to stay at the Luxor!

Ah yes, the Luxor. My sis and her fiance stayed there on our trip and I had a chance to spend some time there. I totally dig on the whole ancient Egyptian theme and being up close to the pyramid and replica sphynx etc was absolutely fantastic. They really did a good job on all the work on the replicas and art.

To tie this into sci-fi, one of the reasons I liked BSG (and SG-1 the movie and series) is because of the ancient Egyptian themes. To digress even further, I even once attended a lecture at my local astronomy club about ancient Egyptian archeo-astronomy (or something like that.) Anyway, the guy giving the lecture speculated that the Great Pyramid in Egypt, along with the other two next to it, symbolized the three stars that make up Orion’s belt. He superimposed a photo or chart of Orion’s belt with an aerial photo of the pyramids and there appeared to be a strong correlation. The thinking was that Orion (or whatever the Egytians called it) was considered an important grouping of stars that would rise above the Nile in the ancient night sky right-side up (like a person standing), and so the Egyptians built the pyramsids to honor Ra or do whatever it is they wanted to do.
    We’ll probably never know exactly why they were built but it was a great lecture, to say the least. Good stuff all around, IMHO.

Sidhecafe
    Participant

Romulan Ale!!! What color was it?

That’s a great idea! Pretty steep price, now I’m dying to know if it’s any good…could you get that at the bar?

Anybody try it?

That’s a great idea for my company’s homebrew competition we have every late spring. I could make Romulan Ale…hee!
    (this year I made Boston Tap Water Ale- didn’t turn out so good)

Scifi inspired drinks…. πŸ˜€

YOWAYYO
    Participant
    Sidhecafe wrote:

Romulan Ale!!! What color was it?

The Romulan Ale was packaged in regular six-packs of long necks, and the ale itself appeared to be blue-ish in color. I thought about asking for it at the bar but I got side-tracked (must have been the ‘James Tea Kirk’ I was drinking.) Anyway, I’m kicking myself now because I really wanted to sample it and no one else in my party tried it.

Maybe you can find some sort of recipe on the web and make your own. A couple dashes of coloring and you’re set. It would no doubt be a hit at your company party since it would be a (fairly) original idea. If you go that route, let me know how it turns out!

They even had beer packaged as Romulan Ale that they were selling in the gift shop. They were pushing it pretty hard as there were several large displays of cases of the stuff. I would have bought some but they were charging $14.99 a six-pack!!! At that price, it had better come from Romulus.

Be Warned!! It does not. My impression is it came from one of the Falstaff colonies, Their leader is Schlitz Thunderbird, of the Blue Ribbon Brigade.

But seriously, the bartender at Quark’s said the bottled Ale wasn’t nearly as good as the draft version sold behind the bar.

You have been warned. That is all. 😯 😯

theFrey
    Participant

I peeked around and found some info on the resturant menu in a few articles about the experience.
    There is Klingon Blood Wine and of course Trill wine. Some of the other items on the menu were Isolinear Chips & Dip, Salad of Kahless (legend has it that he spent 12 days and 12 nights in the kitchen coming up with this one), Wrap of Kahn, and get this, a Hamborger (hamBORGer). Other items were Keiko O’Briens Garden Pasta, and even the BBQ Continuum Pizza. The Cadet Menu (kids) included a Hugh Borger.

Of course you cannot leave without dessert! Try Jake’s Shakes, or even Frozen Gagh! (The Gagh is really Gummy Worms, but DO NOT tell the Klingons!).

Another report mentioned that you can Eat and drink as in the world of Star Trek, when you visit Quark’s Bar & Restaurant where you can dine on items such as Flaming Ribs of Targ and Final Frontier Desserts!

Guests have an extensive menu to choose from, including Pre-Launch Sequence (appetizers), Between The Decks (stellar sandwiches), Little Green Salads, A Pizza the Action (all pizzas are triangular-shield shaped), Command Decisions (entrees), and The Final Frontier (desserts).

πŸ™‚ Hope that answers some questions about the menu

πŸ˜†

Sidhecafe
    Participant

Capt Stanley H Marsh said:
    Be Warned!! It does not. My impression is it came from one of the Falstaff colonies, Their leader is Schlitz Thunderbird, of the Blue Ribbon Brigade.

πŸ˜† PBR making Romulan Ale!!!

I mentioned the Romulan Ale to a brewer at the beer company I work for….he’s just not a scifi fan….thought it was weird!

I swear, after this holiday cycle I will attempt a concoction myself…long live my homebrew kit!

Jhevz
    Participant

Hi YOWAYYO,
    I’m glad you had tons of fun while you were in Vegas; I’m also glad you got to see the Star Trek Experience for youself & had fun.
    When I 1st went to Vegas, I stayed at the Excalibur & had seen the Star Trek Experience, then to Michael Flatley’s Lord of the Dance at the NY, NY Hotel (now another show is on); I also went to the dinner show & exlpored the Luxor. In the next few yrs, I stayed at different hotels, went to different shows & did a lot of touristy things; there were even some things that I did, that most people wouldn’t think of. All in all, I had a great time & would like to visit there again sometime.

Lexxian to Lexxian,
    Jhevz πŸ˜‰

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.