Homemade Lexx DVD Season Sets

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums Cult Sci Fi Series Lexx Homemade Lexx DVD Season Sets

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    SadGeezer
    Keymaster

Reading about the S2 box set that is coming out gave me an idea. These people
    http://www.inetdvd.com/store/cases.asp

sell multi-disc DVD keep cases (like what Suspiria came in, if anyone has that). Picture, if you will:

Lexx S1 = in a 4-disc case
    Lexx S2 = in a 5-disc case
    Lexx S3 = in a 4-disc case
    Lexx S4 = in a 6-disc case

All of Lexx in 4 handy cases. Designing covers could be fun. I can see Eva on S1’s cover, Stan on S2, Kai on S3 and Xenia on S4… perhaps. They could be posted online for people to download and print themselves.

Anyone have any high rez Lexx pix that might be useful for this project?

[someone already did this for Star Trek: TOS and it’s 40 DVD set. They made 8 covers for eight 5-disc cases.]

Flamegrape
    Participant

Nice idea. But in my professional opinion, Alpha cases suck ass. They subject your DVDs to punishment each time you take one out. (You have to bend and pry them out! Very bad!) Amaray cases are much, much better. In fact, I replaced all the DVDs I have that came in Alpha cases with Amaray cases.

Otherwise, I’d be happy to help design DVD covers for such sets. I’ve designed DVD and CD covers before.

Anonymous

The spindles in the Amarays are ultra-breakable. I’ve gotten countless discs in the mail with snapped spindles and free-floating, scratched-up discs. Let an Amaray slip from you fingers and hit the floor and you might have the same problem. If you do it properly (squeeze, tilt, lift), you can pop out a disc in an Alpha case with little stress… and the spindles never break. Of course, all of this is utterly moot: no one other than Alpha makes 4, 5, and 6-disc cases.

What I’m currently looking for is a good publicity shot of the Lexx. It’d be cool to span the ship across the 4 spines…

[ 19-08-2002: Message edited by: tripps ]

Anonymous

Using a scan of the Lexx logo from the DVD inserts and a screenshot of the Lexx itself from the opening sequence of the DVD, I whipped up this example of what I had in mind for the 4 spines of the cases.

theFrey
    Participant

Coolness. Very nice design.

Flamegrape
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by tripps:
    [QB]The spindles in the Amarays are ultra-breakable. I’ve gotten countless discs in the mail with snapped spindles and free-floating, scratched-up discs. Let an Amaray slip from you fingers and hit the floor and you might have the same problem. If you do it properly (squeeze, tilt, lift), you can pop out a disc in an Alpha case with little stress… and the spindles never break. Of course, all of this is utterly moot: no one other than Alpha makes 4, 5, and 6-disc cases.

What the heck are you talking about? You’ve got to be thinking of some other brand. There are no “spindles” on Amaray cases. There are two very thick clip-like pieces of plastic that hold the disc in place and keep it totally secure. If that’s what you’re talking about, then that is called the hub. And they are anything but easily breakable. There’s no way the disc would fall free inside the case like you claim. It’s physically not possible. (As I type this I’m tossing my Amaray incased copy of I Worship His Shadow around the room, juggling it, whoops I dropped it on the rug, I open up the case, and the disc is still secure in it’s proper place.) The only way to free it is by simply pushing in the center and it pops free without touching the disc at all. There’s no “squeeze, tilt, lift” at all. One effortless button-like action and you can pick up the disc by the edges. No other brand of DVD case does this. All of the others are similar in design and concept as the Alpha cases.

I’m looking at an Alpha case in my hands right now. In the center there is a hub that you have to firmly pinch in order to release the disc. Sure the Alpha cases keep it in place. But try prying the disc out. You have to pinch the hub while trying to pull the disc out at the same time. Let me repeat, you have to pinch the hub with one hand while pulling the disc out with the other. If you don’t pinch it just right, you might risk bending the disc which a very bad idea. Imaging doing this dozens upon dozens of times over the course of the DVD’s lifetime. With Alpha cases, you have to have the ability to pinch that center hub with strong fingertips. With Amaray, the elderly and others with severe arthritis would not have any trouble.

With Amaray cases, you don’t have any problem holding the disc in place or removing. I spent a very long time researching this subject. I had to decide which type of case I was going to purchase for my father’s video DVD productions. I concluded that the Amaray’s were the best.

I don’t know where you got the idea that the Amaray hubs are “ultra-breakable.” I’ve never had one break. And I’ve used hundreds of them for years. The design is the simplest in form. And with minimal amount of stress placed on the plastic material.

Look, Alpha case hubs are sturdy. They keep the discs in place. But I wince each time I have to pry a disc out of it’s clutches. And I’ve bought DVDs in the store or received DVDs in the mail and I’ve faced the same grief as you described. Discs rattling around loose inside the case. (I’m looking at one right now. It says “MDV Packaging.” It has three things in it’s hub you have to pinch before you can pry the disc out of the case. The Alpha only has two and is designed better.) None of the faulty cases were ever Amaray cases. Nor were they Alpha cases either. The problem I have with Alphas is that you have to risk bending the disc each time you remove it from the case. With Amaray, there is absolutely no risk of bending the disk.

I can see why you are attracted to designing covers for cases that accomidate that many discs. But just because it’s possible doesn’t mean it should be done. It is not “utterly moot,” as you blithely put it. There are things to consider. The most important of which is the safety of your discs.

It doesn’t matter if Trekkers did it with their DVD collections. I say that they foolishly put their discs at risk. I want no part of a plan to do the same with Lexx DVD collections and you can design these Alpha covers yourself. I will actively discourage people from buying into your plan.

Anonymous

If that’s what you’re talking about, then that is called the hub.

Spindle, hub… whatever. That’s what I get for playing with my LPs lately.

There’s no way the disc would fall free inside the case like you claim.

My experience is otherwise.

you might risk bending the disc which a very bad idea.

Is it? How many Alpha-encased discs of yours have gone bad? How many people on the net have reported that the stress of pulling their favorite disc out of an Alpha has caused it to cease to play? None that I’m aware of. CDs and DVDs are tough pieces of plastic.

I concluded that the Amaray’s were the best.

[/b]
    Congratulations!

I don’t know where you got the idea that the Amaray hubs are “ultra-breakable.” I’ve never had one break.

You’re lucky. I have replaced numerous Amarays in which one of the halves of the ying-yang-shaped hub has snapped (and often scratched the disc’s surface as the broken pieces rattle around behind).

It is not “utterly moot,” as you blithely put it.

[/b]
    Of course it is. If you don’t like Alpha cases, ignore this thread. See? Wasn’t that easy?

I want no part of a plan to do the same with Lexx DVD collections and you can design these Alpha covers yourself. I will actively discourage people from buying into your plan.

Umm… so what? I’m doing this for my own pleasure, but thought the folks at SG’s might be interested as well.

Flamegrape… seriously… take a chill pill. Geez!

[ 19-08-2002: Message edited by: tripps ]

theFrey
    Participant

Good heavens. Who knew that CD case construction could inspire such passion.

You peeps are too silly.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I remember when they decided to double the number and half the size of the lugs that hold CDs in place, those ones snap off all the time while the orignal larger ones rarely did.

Flamegrape
    Participant

quote:

Is it? How many Alpha-encased discs of yours have gone bad? How many people on the net have reported that the stress of pulling their favorite disc out of an Alpha
    has caused it to cease to play? None that I’m aware of. CDs and DVDs are tough pieces of plastic.

Lot’s of Alpha cases of mine have gone bad. Usually before I get them. Lots of people on the net have reported the stress that Alpha cases (and similar types) cause on DVDs. If you weren’t aware of any saying so, you’re aware of one right now– me. CDs and DVDs are tough pieces of plastic that aren’t meant to be bent or put under any stress under any circumstances.

If you don’t like Alpha cases, ignore this thread. See? Wasn’t that easy?

I will not ignore this thread because it pertains to an area of my expertise and it pertains to the collection of DVDs of my favorite show.

I gave you some sound advice and you chose to ignore it. You seem to think I’m some kind of idiot. So of course I won’t shut up about it.

Anonymous

You seem to think I’m some kind of idiot.

Well… look at yourself. You’re foaming at the mouth over plastic cases.

I certainly hope you don’t have a heart condition… type-A personalities don’t need that extra risk.

Flamegrape
    Participant

quote:

Well… look at yourself. You’re foaming at the mouth over plastic cases.

I certainly hope you don’t have a heart condition… type-A personalities don’t need that extra risk.

Foaming at the mouth? Type-A personality? Now you’re being insulting. Have I insulted you? No. I’m arguing an issue. And you’re resorting to personal attacks.

You’re trying to convince every last Lexx DVD collector to use Alpha cases and I think it is a very bad idea. If you want to defend your position in the face of all advice, fine. But like I said in my last post, I won’t shut up about this and I won’t ignore this thread.

Anonymous

Have I insulted you?

A little. You often misread my posts, attacking strawmen.
    For the latest example:

You’re trying to convince every last Lexx DVD collector to use Alpha cases…

Let’s add liar to that list we have going, shall we?

Plus, the arrogance, over-competitiveness and “I know what’s best for you” attitude of type-As like yourself is just plain distasteful to us normal folks.

Flamegrape
    Participant

All that may be true, but Alpha cases are still a bad idea.

Anonymous

Christ!

Opposite corners, both of you!

Anonymous

*shrug*

The second an Alpha-stored DVD of mine goes bad because of the case… well, I’m gonna have to buy you a screen-used Xevivor costume for your next birthday.

Anonymous

Opposite corners, both of you!

Yep… nothing much going on at the SG Lexx board these days, ‘cept for a bizarre argument over DVD storage. Heheh.

You guys are to silly! I don’t even know what you’re talking about, i don’t have a DVD player.

Anonymous

quote:

Reading about the S2 box set that is coming out gave me an idea. These people
    http://www.inetdvd.com/store/cases.asp

sell multi-disc DVD keep cases (like what Suspiria came in, if anyone has that).

I’ve been after a company that sells those cases for Aaaaggggeeees!! (to keep my ‘The Tick’ VCD collection in. Thanks for the link

I actually am ok with Alpha cases but I take extra care taking the disks out.

The heat in this thread was interesting! But then the weather has been warm hasn’t it.

There may not be a lot of posters on this board at the moment, but you wouldn’t believe how many thousand people visit this board each week. I wonder if there would be more posters if there were less arguments (or less visitors if there were less arguments ) – anyone want to argue about that

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by Flamegrape:
    ….I’ve designed DVD and CD covers before.

Really? Have you done any sci fi VCD or DVD covers? If so, could you let us see some – possibly in the Sci Fi Artwork section?!

theFrey
    Participant

well I like to see a lot of passion. Of course I prefer theSpouse to be showing it, but hey. I’ll take it were I can find it.

Anonymous

I’d no idea there was such technology in DVD cases. What an education this topic has provided.

Flamegrape
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by SadGeezer:

Really? Have you done any sci fi VCD or DVD covers? If so, could you let us see some – possibly in the Sci Fi Artwork section?!

You can take a look at a couple of CD covers I have made in the past at my own website, Flamegrape.Com[/url]. Look in the galleries section. Unfortunately, they are not sci-fi related.

I’ve made a few DVD covers in the past. One was for work and not interesting to the folks here. The other was for a Mystery Science Theater 3000 DVD I made. But when one of my hard drives got erased several months ago, I lost that work.

I’m not sure what I could make for a DVD cover for something sci-fi related. I’m certainly not interested in making Lexx covers for Alpha cases!

Did you have something in mind, Sad?

Anonymous

Nice work, T, but I’ll keep my DVDs in the smaller cases. It draws more attention when there’s so many (“What’s LEXX?”) and it makes it easier for me to infect, er, lend them to others.

Anonymous

The heat in this thread was interesting! But then the weather has been warm hasn’t it.

Probably a shortage of lithium at water treatment plants this month…

And, thanks, stormsweeper! But, it’ll also be fun to lay an entire season a’ Lexx on a friend all at once: “Just take Season 1 will yah. Trust me.”

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by Flamegrape:

Did you have something in mind, Sad?

Not really, I’m looking for some inspiration for a set of DVD covers for my Tick cartoon and live action episodes. But actually, I was just interested to see what dvd cases you had done.

DVD and CD cases can be terrific! Some of my fave ones are by Roger Dean[/url] who did stuff for Yes and Osibisa (prolly spelled that wrong).

Looking at some of that sort of work was great for cheering you you – or getting you out of a Whitey, depending how old you are

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.