HOW did THIS happen???

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums General Sci Fi Sci Fi Angst HOW did THIS happen???

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    SadGeezer
    Keymaster

9:00am ET, 2-July-03
    SCI FI Has Record Ratings
    The SCI FI Channel reported that it drew record ratings in the second quarter of the year, finishing in the top 10 of all non-news cable networks in key demographics.

The ratings were the best second-quarter prime-time ratings in the channel’s history, marking a record 14th consecutive month of year-over-year ratings growth and the longest current prime-time growth streak in television.

MORE

Here’s the kicker:

The channel’s SCI FI Fridays block of original programming made it the highest-rated network on all basic cable for the night among males 25-54. The block featured the seventh-season launch of Stargate SG-1 and new first-season episodes of Tremors: The Series and Scare Tactics.

MALES 25-54!! More of you guys are watching Tremors and Scare Tactics than Lexx and Farscape??? Can you explain that please? ๐Ÿ‘ฟ

elmey

Anonymous

I’m playing the devils advocate but…..

It’s all in the wording.

First: “Basic Cable”

Second: “top 10 non-news Cable” I can’t even name 10 non-news basic cable channels. Umm Comedy Central; History Channel; A&E; hrmmm oh Animal Planet; that’s it sadly =(

The 25-34 thing was for one block on basic cable for one night, Friday when most are out doing other things. These were also “premieres” and the only premieres they were competing against was “I’m with Busey” and thats on Tuesday.

I know I’m being harsh, but you can make anything sound good, if you can word it just right =)

The real evidence is in the numbers. Stargate has HUGE numbers, and the second two shows retain *some* of those figures but not enough to break 1.0 consistantly. Meaning it’s doing about the same, if not a bit worse than Farscape and Lexx two years ago.

Did I mention I hate Sci-Fi USA?

Anonymous

Hey, you weren’t supposed to be reasonable about it. I just wanted an opening so I could say Earthmen are Easy.
    ๐Ÿ˜‰

Actually the wording struck me as well. I’m curious how they define “basic cable”. On my cable system the most basic format just has CNN, C Span, TBS and maybe another news service. After that there’s so many tiers of add ons, plus the “premium” channels that you’d really have to care a lot to try to make sense of it.

My main gripe is if they can claim success with this kind of crap, there’s no impetus for them to upgrade their product.

elmey

Anonymous
    ”elmey” wrote:

My main gripe is if they can claim success with this kind of crap, there’s no impetus for them to upgrade their product.

elmey

Bingo, my friend you hit the nail on the head and therein lies the problem with Sci-Fi USA.

The people at Sci-Fi know Tremors is pure craptastic entertainment, but as long as the suits don’t know that, they don’t have to put in the work. As long as “Tremors” retains SG-1s numbers enough to meet or breach 1.0 the suits don’t care if they show reruns of Space Precinct.

Think back to when Sci-Fi used to run “catchy” full promotions for even the lowest budget of their shows. Heck even a year or so ago they ran a full promotion for a “Forever Knight” marathon.

Now they concentrate on movies ANY movies. The other night they showed the Flintstones: Viva Las Vegas or whatever.

What in the name of flying bejubus does the Flintstones have to do with Sci-Fi? But it brings in a nice 2.0+ rating, far better than being known for showing true Sci-Fi that doesent bring in the 3-9 year olds. I could rant about this for pages and pages, from their execs to the recent acquisition. But the clearest proof of all is “Scare Tactics”

Did anyone else imagine a meeting much like the beginning of “Xevivor” with Fifi and the TV execs?

“Lets make a reality Sci-Fi show! Screw content, lets make some money!”

Of course ultimatly that’s what’s it all about, so I shouldent whine as much as I do.

Grrrr, did I mention I hate Sci-Fi USA?

lizard
    Participant

Now I am really going to play devils advocate– maybe science fiction fans would be better of if US scifi channel just went bye-bye. I would be happy watching one or two interesting and innovative scifi shows on channels with many other types of programs. Sci fi channel is desperatley trying to fill hours of TV time with garbage.

Anonymous
    lizard wrote:

Now I am really going to play devils advocate– maybe science fiction fans would be better of if US scifi channel just went bye-bye. I would be happy watching one or two interesting and innovative scifi shows on channels with many other types of programs. Sci fi channel is desperatley trying to fill hours of TV time with garbage.

I think you’re right; SciFi Channel is scifi in name only these days.
    This is a really down period for good scifi programming–I hope its just cyclical–I’m not that thrilled with scifi books right now either. Innovation seems to be in very short supply.

elmey

lexxrobotech
    Participant

You know, thast something that gets my skirt up. Not that I wear a skirt though.

It seems the Sci-fi channel (one of the main reasons I got Satelite tv installed) seems to smack its label on all sorts of things no sci-fi. Surely if they need some cheaper programs to run so that they can get the top new shows they could just put on old shows like “V” or “Robotech”. Why start puting none sci-fi stuff on?

To me its like giving someone a chicken pizza when they wanted a veggie pizza and saying, ‘well… its not beef!’.

I forget what I was ranting about.

*leaves to go get some nosh*

Anonymous

i’ve never been a great fan of the Sci-fi channel here in the UK. the other half regularly puts it on- but apart from the fact i don’t really have the time to sit and watch on a regular basis, i know that if there is something remotely interesting on i don’t have to sit down and watch it, or even tape it. it will get repeated again and again and again, so i will catch it at some point. i think that’s my major bugbear with the channel. it’s okay dragging the golden oldies of sci fi up every once in a while but i do like to see something more original. every time i put it on it seems, i’m faced with something i’ve seen a million times before. the channel does itself a disservice by having a repeat-laden schedule, as there’s no incentive to leave the channel on (and one of the reasons we initially got cable was for Sci-Fi Channel!!!). there’s better on SkyOne and CNX- both channels which have a variety of programming (and personally, if i had that basic package you guys in the states have, i’d rather watch Animal Planet…)

milzan
    Participant

Did I mention I hate Sci-Fi USA?[/quote]

I agree 100%. What really bugs me is the rotton, lousy movies they show.
    The one’s that are sci-fi originals, yeah sure! This crap really sucks.Why can’t they find a script writer.
    I read on the sci-fi site that they have a movie called “Raptor Island” comming on. Trained special forces soldiers against animals.
    Everybody who thinks this will suck, raise your hand.
    There have been so many good books writen over the years. Why oh why can’t they do them every once in awile.
    How about ” The Forever War” by joe haldeman,Or some of David Drakes stuff.
    They don’t have to do war or fighting, but for gods sake, I have seen enough dinosaurs. Talk about beating some thing to death.
    O.K. I’m done, thanks for putting up with me.I’m new to this computer stuff, but have been into sci-fi for a long time. I’m 54.

Tiefling
    Participant

I still don’t understand WHY they make so many movies. It seems like every week there’s a new “Island of the Lost Snakehead-Anaconda-Raptor-Bees…uh…FROM SPACE!!…vs Cobra” geez, I mean, how do they manage to NOT lose money with those?

I mean! GAA, the whole reason we ferkn’ wanted the Sci-fi channel was so we could see Farscape! Then about half a month after we get the ferkn’ thing, they decide to cancle it! GAAH!

sorry just venting ๐Ÿ˜†

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.