How to not Post Bad Threads

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums Discussion Forum Help How to not Post Bad Threads

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Jhevz
    Participant

Hi Fellow Posters,
    This will be a 2 parter & will explain why this isn’t a good idea & can get you banned from a board. Also, it’ll explain how if you keep it up, you can creat enemies for yourself; there will be plenty of examples why & how they created enemies for themselves.

In this part, I’ll be explaining 3 kinds of bad posting & whether or not it will get you in trouble. It’ll tell how, who & why there’s bad posting, why & it it can get you in trouble & who it really affects. The 3 kinds of bad posting are: nasty posting, ugly posting & stupid posting.

Jhevz
    Participant

Nasty posting is the meanest & most hurtful kind of posting; it’s also the king that is the most destructive. Who would create these types of threads, people who are angry, drepessed, stressed out, anxious & mad at the world. The others who would do nasty posts are people who are mainly angry with themselves & those who are very arguementitve & just want to hurt others. Why, for the people posting these kinds of threads, it’s to make a point; but to make others angry & get others to argue with them. Not only that, they create arguements that usually get them banned. These same people who post such nasty threads, often ban themselves; in the long run, only affecting themselves & making enemies out of other posters.

The 2nd meanest thread that’s posted is `ugly posts‘; this kind of posting is made by people who want something, protesting about certain topics or just plain want some kind of attention. These same people who post these kinds of threads also have some kind of hidden agenda; these people try hard to make others angry, despite their reason why.

Jhevz
    Participant

Can this get you banned?; you bet & plenty of warnings. The difference is, you won’t be banned for life; also you’ll 1st get warnings for a period of time or get banned & not be welcomed to a forum. These same people who post ugly threads or want such things, often get warned, then banned for not paying attention or wanting to; plus, it only creates enemies & shows who they really are.

Stupid posting can be mean posting, but it’s not as bad as the 1st 2; this kind of post is not advisable because people who post thiese kinds of threads often have bad days & a need to get attention. They’re often need of something or want something;why, not paying attention to what they’re doing, concentrating on other things or just not feeling good. The difference between the 1st 2 & posting stupid threas, is this kind of thread will only get you warnings & may upset some people, but won’t ban you like the 1st 2. Since these people do it from time to time, it only affects them more often & it also shows who they really are.

Part 2 of How Note to Post Bad Posts will be posted in 2 months or so.

Posters Unite,
    Jhevz ๐Ÿ˜‰

Jhevz
    Participant

Hi Fellow Posters,
    As soon as I get finished writing & editing part 2 of `How Not to be a Bad Poster’, I’ll be adding some examples that may make you think a little; also, it make take 2 posts for me to get all of the info in. I’m currently writing it, then will edit it, then post it here.

Posters Unite,
    Jhevz ๐Ÿ˜‰

Jhevz
    Participant

Hi Fellow Posters,
    Here’s the continuation of `How Not to be a Bad Poster’;
    Why even try it; to get attention, try to make others mad, to make enemies, to get themselves banned & the like. Thare are many other reasons shy it’s done & it’s not recommended.
    1 example, a former member of another board continued to post Bad Postin, making both members & the moderators mad; he was warned several times until he got himself banned.
    When some others tried it & thought they could get away with it, the moderators from the site, 1st warned them; then, after several warnings, banned them from the site.
    Another example, happened recently to a current member; he stopped because he was warned enough times to almost get himself banned.
    So why even try it; why get banned.

Posters Unite,
    Jhevz ๐Ÿ˜‰

Jhevz
    Participant

Hi Fellow Posters,
    Here’s reasons why you shouldn’t make Bad Posting; you can create enemies for yourself, get plenty of warnings & can get yourself banned, possibly perminently. Another reason is you could get yourself in serious trouble; how much depends on if you want to keep on posting Bad Posts. That’s why it’s not recommended making Bad Posts; it’s also not recommended that you try it or even create 1; it’s just not worth it.
    In about a few months or so, I’ll be posting something happier; it’ll be called `Yeah Yay on Good Posting‘; in the meantime, if you want to see something pleasant after reading this, you can go to the Dr Who Forum & look at my Gally Pictures from my photo album.

Posters Unite,
    Jhevz

theFrey
    Participant

Yeah, no bad posting. ;D Thanks Jhevz

Anonymous
    Inactive

Feel free to speak your mind, but be prudent in how you say it.

Really, I hope this topic doesn’t scare anyone off. It’s generally a fun and interesting non-anal place, and the contributors are valued… The best posts make it more enjoyable for everyone.

By the way, hardcore trolls tend not to care if they’re banned because there are more bulletin boards out there to visit than they have bullets. Really though, on the whole I think we’ve been blessed with our membership — everyone has a bad (or sad) day now and then, but as long as in the long run we try to show respect for eachother, then we’re in good shape as a community.

We don’t have to agree with eachother to be excellent to eachother.

Have fun, and remember, good posting takes practice, so post, post, post ’til your fingers bleed! ๐Ÿ˜€ ๐Ÿ˜‰

Peace out, love in!
    -Logan

Edit: I am in no way condoning indisputably “bad posting” (whether a post is really bad usually comes down to the intent by the way), but it can generate some of the most interesting, philosophical, entertaining, thoughtful, and lively board discussion — especially when it veers off into related territory of a controversial nature (the most lively and interesting discussions are often of a controversial nature, and sometimes there is a very shadowy line of demarcation between good posts and bad posts).

Here’s a question for the help forum: If the members encounter a bad post, as general rules of thumb, how should they react to it? I know “bad post” is a loaded term, every case is a little different, frequency matters, it’s a matter of degree, and often there is a certain level of subjectivity involved, but if the poster’s intent is obviously malicious, or mischevious… The general rule is to ignore a troll of course…

In my experiences at many, many boards, I’ve found that some of the worst posts have been reactions to “bad posts.”

Jhevz
    Participant

I agree Logan,
    We’re all human & we all have bad days, but I just don’t want it to end up here; treat it as if you’re going to work, keep your problems offline (like you would at home & workplace) instead of posting it here. I’m not saying no one should have their opinion, just not bad 1s.

Thanks Frey,
    Your message gets right to the point. ๐Ÿ™‚

Posters Unite,
    Jhevz ๐Ÿ˜‰

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks for the response, Jhevz. Of course I agree with you too… Lotsa great advice. And yes to theFrey’s response, very concise… Brevity has never been a strength of mine, unfortunately.

Yes, most of us learn to moderate our behavior; it’s crucial to success in the workplace, with your friends, and if one can’t do it at home, well it’s not conducive to a very happy family life.

I’m talking about people here who are generally considerate posters and valued members of a web community (not malicious, bitter trolls):

Part of what I was getting at is intent… Sometimes we make “bad posts” unintentionally… Sometimes our intent/meaning is misconstrued (not clear enough) which leads to unpleasantness — it’s because of this that I often mention that we should generally try to adhere to the “principle of charity” in responding.

Sometimes our judgement is lacking — that can be a real problem even for the generally well-behaved poster.

I’d say that when you’re having a bad day be extra careful before hitting that submit button… At the same time, if one is always really worried about offending someone out there with a statement, then it can be very difficult to say something meaningful/important. Too much moderation can stifle creativity… We can moderate ourselves to death. Still, yes, prudence in posting is best… And if we’re really thoughtful with what we say, well, more thought leads to better, and better expressed, ideas.

I tend to write blogs which is not conducive to great posting/writing. Things pop into my posts as quickly as they pop into my head — sometimes even quicker. ๐Ÿ˜† They may be bad posts in that they’re often a little disorganised and messy, but I like to expose my thinking process, or lack of thinking process as the case may be, somewhat — makes posting more personal to me… And I hate writing formal essays. Believe it or not, there was a time during my academic days when I considered the only truly bad posts to be sloppy posts… How we change. ๐Ÿ˜€

But I digressed… ๐Ÿ™„

Thanks for your work on this.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘Discussion Forum Help’ is closed to new topics and replies.