i have angst!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    SadGeezer
    Keymaster

yes i do! and it is this…that many of us will not take a moment this Thanksgiving to give thanks to our diety of choice.we all can find something to be thankful for, even if it is just the fact that we are alive and kicking with the hope of a better tomorrow.
    as for our friends from other countries, i realize that you won’t be eating turkey and dressing. but in the spirit of this U.S. holiday, please take of moment out of your day to reflect on this past year and be thankful for the good things!
    my list is short and simple-
    family and friends!
    my new online friends from all over the world (i still find this amazing)!
    and last but not least, this computer my brother put together out of spare parts laying around his house, LOL, which allows me to keep in touch family and friends and helped me meet new and interesting people!

Flamegrape
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by mary beth:
    yes i do! and it is this…that many of us will not take a moment this Thanksgiving to give thanks to our diety of choice.

Myself, I will be sacrificing a turkey to the gods.

You know what my favorite holiday album is? It’s Jethro Tull’s Songs From The Wood. Sure, they’re too old to rock’n’roll and too young to die, but I love listening to that album when it’s cold outside and there’s a log on the fire.

FX
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Flamegrape:

Myself, I will be sacrificing a turkey to the gods.

you…you…lexxian carnivore

marybeth, all you said, sweetie! and kudos to your brother for his skills… i myself am having a hard time changing light bulbs these days…

regards holiday music, i always decorate my tree to nico’s ‘all tomorrow’s parties’…and all the other little ditties on that velvet underground album

an odd little tradition, but mine own

[ 22-11-2001: Message edited by: FX ]

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by FX:
    regards holiday music, i always decorate my tree to nico’s ‘all tomorrow’s parties’…and all the other little ditties on that velvet underground album

“All Tomorrow’s Parties” — The Velvet Underground and Nico. Lyrics by Lou Reed.

And what costume shall the poor girl wear
    To all tomorrow’s parties
    A hand-me-down dress from who knows where

And where will she go and what shall she do
    When midnight comes around
    She’ll turn once more to Sunday’s clown
    And cry behind the door

Why silks and linens of yesterday’s gowns

And what will she do with Thursday’s rags
    When Monday comes around
    She’ll turn once more to Sunday’s clown
    And cry behind the door

For Thursday’s child is Sunday’s clown
    For whom none will go mourning

A blackened shroud, a hand-me-down gown
    Of rags and silks, a costume
    Fit for one who sits and cries
    For all tomorrow’s parties

One of the greatest songs from one of the greatest albums by one of the greatest bands of all time.

–Aleck (waxing lyrical)

theFrey
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Aleck:
    “All Tomorrow’s Parties” — The Velvet Underground and Nico. Lyrics by Lou Reed.

…..And what costume shall the poor girl wear
    A hand-me-down dress from who knows where
    To all tomorrow’s parties….

God isn’t that a cheerful little ditty to decorate by. I know it would put me in the holiday spirit. 😛

FX
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by thefrey:

God isn’t that a cheerful little ditty to decorate by. I know it would put me in the holiday spirit. 😛

and who said i was cheerful you should hear what i listen to when i’m really down thanx for the lyricks,aleck, it is one of my favorites , and lou and vu don’t get nearly enough recognition…now how about ‘venus in furs’? …but for some reason, the song i really can’t get out of my mind lately, ‘the gift’

[ 22-11-2001: Message edited by: FX ]

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by FX:
    now how about ‘venus in furs’? …but for some reason, the song i really can’t get out of my mind lately, ‘the gift’

(singing deadpan): “Shiny, shiny, shiny boots of leather…”

You know, the first student film I did was an adaptation of “The Gift.” Shot in 2 days on 2 sets with one very large box and an entire bottle of ketchup being squirted through a small hole.
    It will never see the light of a projector again. You’ve my word on that.

–Aleck (“whiplash girlchild in the dark…”)

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by Aleck:
    One of the greatest songs from one of the greatest albums by one of the greatest bands of all time.

–Aleck (waxing lyrical)

quote:

Originally posted by FX:
    and who said i was cheerful you should hear what i listen to when i’m really down thanx for the lyricks,aleck, it is one of my favorites , and lou and vu don’t get nearly enough recognition…now how about ‘venus in furs’? …but for some reason, the song i really can’t get out of my mind lately, ‘the gift’

For another example of someone who went against the trend in popular music at the time, you might check out the Zappa/Mothers album “We’re Only In It For The Money” if you haven’t already done so. This is the one that came out directly after the “summer of love” and contained the photo that lampooned the cover of “Sgt. Pepper’s” (reverentially, of course). Anyway, the tune “Who Needs the Peace Corp” is certainly considered by some to be the true counter to the counter culture. If nothing else, it was a sarcastic, but apparently fairly accurate, accounting of what was going on in San Francisco in the late sixties.

“Who Needs the Peace Corp” – Zappa/Mothers of Invention
    What’s there to live for?
    Who needs the peace corp?

Think I’ll just drop out
    I’ll go to Frisco buy a wig and sleep on Owsley’s floor

Walked past the wig store
    Danced at the Filmore

I’m completely stoned
    I’m hippy and I’m trippy, I’m a gypsy on my own
    I’ll stay a week and get the crabs and take a bus back home
    I’m really just a phony but forgive me ‘cause I’m stoned

Every town must have a place where phony hippies meet
    Psychedelic dungeons popping up on every street
    Go to San Francisco

How I love you, how I love you, how I love you, how I love you Frisco
    How I love you, how I love you, how I love you, how I love you
    Oh my hair is getting good in the back

Every town must have a place where phony hippies meet
    Psychedelic dungeons popping up on every street
    Go to San Francisco

(spoken)
    First I’ll buy some beads
    And then, perhaps, a leather band to go around my head
    Some feathers and bells
    And a book of Indian lore

I will ask the Chamber of Commerce how to get to Haight St.
    And smoke an awful lot of dope
    I will wander around barefoot
    I will have a psychedelic gleam in my in my eye at all times
    I will love everyone
    I will love the police as they kick the sh*t out of me on the street
    I will sleep, I will go to a house, that’s what I will do
    I will go to a house where there’s a rock and roll band
    ‘Cause the groups all live together
    And I will join a rock and roll band
    I will be their road manager
    And I will stay there with them
    And I will get the crabs, but I won’t care

[ 22-11-2001: Message edited by: Jason ]

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by Jason:
    For another example of someone who went against the trend in popular music at the time, you might check out the Zappa/Mothers album “We’re Only In It For The Money” if you haven’t already done so.

Done so. Excellent album (as are all the Mothers albums from that period). Thing is, though, that while the VU indulged in all manner of John Cage/Fluxus-inspired methods in their music, and the lyrics were obviously the work of someone who read and wrote poetry, they were, at the heart of it all, a rawk-n-roll band despite the artistic trappings. The Mothers seemed to use rock as a vehicle for more avant-garde classical and proto-performance art ambitions (plus, the Mothers were always more interested in satire than the Velvets), and were thus always more inaccessible than the VU. This isn’t a bad thing by *any* means, but it’s a reason why I can pretty much always slap on a Velvets album, but I have to be in a particular mood for Zappa.

–Aleck

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.