I just feel sorry for the actors

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums Cult Sci Fi Series Lexx I just feel sorry for the actors

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    SadGeezer
    Keymaster

My heart breaks watching what lexx has been doing to some fine actors. i hope their careers recovers from the joke that is season 4 (runs for cover from an angry and unforgiving mob).

that is all i want to say.

Flamegrape
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by :
    My heart breaks watching what lexx has been doing to some fine actors. i hope their careers recovers from the joke that is season 4 (runs for cover from an angry and unforgiving mob).

Hi, bonnee.

Anonymous

LOL, Flamegrape.

That’s what I was thinking.

Anonymous

I didn’t think you’d be silly enough to make the same mistake twice Flame: presumably FX would have *warned* you if it *was* me, as she indicated she would.

Personally, I don’t think you would be stupid enough to want to play such a trick on you over here. Your presuppostions must be #VERY# precious to you if you want to re/enact them so readilly.

I think an apology to Lily is conspicious by its absence – and I think you disrespect Tracy by similarly jumping to conclusions without having recourse to checking the ISP first. So again – sorry Tracy on behalf of the Flame thrower.

yes, I know – *YAWN”

Anonymous

At he risk of sounding more unpopular…

Does Sadgeezer condone this kind of badgering by his moderators? To set someone straight is one thing, but to continually harass posters is uncalled for. I thought this board was above that kind of thing?

quote:

Originally posted by Flamegrape:

Hi, bonnee.

Anonymous

Thanx Dgk – but it is probably best not to be seen publicly supporting me, as privately indicated by others to me.

I am concerned by the “risk” posed to yourself (and apparently Tracy) though – I think that is something Tony should be seen to address – namely, the sense that if you don’t replicate the standardised view, it is at your own peril. It is telling that it is the same three or four people jumping to one another’s defence. Instead of stiffling yawns, they should be worried about stiffling debate.

Flamegrape
    Participant

Sorry, bonnee.
    Sorry, lily.
    Sorry, tracey.
    Sorry, dgk.
    Thanks, Praxilla.

It was premature of me to presume that bonnee was up to something. Since he posted under other usernames before, it was easy to assume that he has done it again.

You are right, dgk. And for the record, I’m not a moderator of the Lexx discussion forums. I don’t really have any say what goes on here.

Please just let it go, everyone.

[ 01-03-2002: Message edited by: Flamegrape ]

Anonymous

The smile suggests a lack of sincerity and further disrespect to Lily and Tracy – sorry if I’m wrong about that. but please Flame thrower – I will let you know if I’m posting under another name, and when in doubt – please confirm your suspicions before casting any stray aspersions.

FX
    Participant

ya know bonnee, you act like you’re in a restaurant abusing the staff and demanding to talk to the manager because you are paying for a meal, and should therefore have everything your way…

well, this isn’t a restaurant, and you are not my customer, nor is sad being paid by you for the services he provides…so if you don’t like it, take a hike

as far as flame’s possible hypersensitivity; well, unfortunately that is the kind of resulting paranoia that i was talking about when i warned you about posting under several aliases…now, how about we stop all this crap and move on?

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by :
    The smile suggests a lack of sincerity and further disrespect to Lily and Tracy – sorry if I’m wrong about that.

The “smile” you refer to (identified as “graemlins”) is noted as representing embarrasment. Place your cursor over the graemlin on the posting page, and a tag comes up identifying it as such.

Acknowledging embarrasment isn’t really disrespectful, is it?

–Aleck

Flamegrape
    Participant

LOL, FX. Maybe you should have just said, “No soup for you! Come back one year!”

In all seriousness, bonnee, I enjoyed reading your posts before this bickering began. I’m not sure exactly how or when the arguements got out of hand. It doesn’t really matter anymore.

So okay, I’ve turned off my “Flame-thrower”, LOL! If you say this ought to end, then I agree.

BTW, I enjoyed the song-sparring far more than flinging nasty insults.

Anonymous

I am not demanding to talk to the manager FX nor would I assume that Tony would give me ‘my way’ (whatever you think I think that might be).

I have as much a role to play in this ‘crap’ as anyone, and would expect to get my ass kicked as hard – if not harder – than others by pursuing and developing it further. Nonetheless, I emailed him a while ago and he acknowledged that there was a tendency for certain voices to dominate at the exclusion of others, and that the board can often resemble a clique (sorry for repeating this Tony, but I’m starting to tire of their self righteousness as well as mine). And as I’ve indicated – I’m just lodging a protest at how you enshrine one another’s assumptions

As a moderator, hovever, you have a responsibility to make better sense of what is happening, and why. Instead, you just instinctively encourage the dispute along the dividing lines. Has it actually ever occured to you that I might have felt bullied and devalued, and have responded by acting similarly. A typical example of your moderation is to inflame the problem : you claim that “your understanding” is that I’ve behaved in a cetain way elsewhere without even bothering to consult the other person involved. apparently it was enough for you to simply accept what you’ve been told. you claim that I’ve been adopting all these aliases to trick people here but it was part of the visible ‘song exchange’. You purport to bracket this exchange from the ‘revelation’ you think you’ve made for others without even remotely sitating it, and generalise from there. My behaviour at lexx.com is irrelevant here because I’ve disclosed who I was, and what I was doing within the context of the song. You claim (quoting Flame) that a ‘yawn’ is appropriate to my behaviour in the other thread that resulted in playful song, but you fail to note that Flame was keeping it going without responses from me. and that is what I was responding to.

You urge that I’m just trying to flame a war, but you fail to note the chronology of events leading up to them. the example of ‘lexx actors’ is a prime candiadte. I was doing my best to be nice to Aleck and Lee in what was essentially a three way conversation that got out of hand. note that before it did i was bending over backwards to ‘move on’ from previous crap, and Aleck and I even apologised to each other for the previous heated dicussions (I initiated the apology). And then – it got horrible (again), and I got upset again.but apparently my being taken aback was feined, because as you say, “no one is buying it”. you make it sound as if the question of my credibility is contingent upon the issue of your assent. and then, when someone dares to step up to protest their treatment of me from the moderators, the result is more mistreatment from them as if I was the one protesting. If you want to stop all this crap and move on, you shouldn’t be seen to crapping on me as a way to move forward.

Anonymous

ps

i’ve just noticed the remarks from Aleck and Flame Thrower: if you are both prepared to set aside our differences, then I will be the first to set them aside. and can we agree that the next time we disagree, we simply resort to throwing a song at each other? I also enjoyed doing that, and got the feeling that so did you – hence my surprise at being ‘unvelied’ for trying to ‘trick ‘you. Please – I don’t come here to make friends or enemies: simply to discuss ideas with people willing to discuss them with me. I have a healthy respect for both of your minds, and hope that our respective personalities can articlate and share a common ground (to argue on).

theFrey
    Participant

Actually Flamegrape is not a moderator on this particular forum, but I am. And no, I don’t think Sad would like anyone baiting anyone. However bonnee , this is the kind of thing that happens when people start using multiple nicks to hide behind while posting. It is unfortunate that an innocent new poster who is unaware of the previous trespass has to get caught up in it. And this is one of the reasons that I am very much against such ill mannered behavior. If a person cannot post a view under their own name, perhaps it is a view that should not be shared. Oh, and posting on another system or from another location to hide your identity is not a great idea either, you would be amazed at the number of times cowardly posters are found out due to spelling, punctuation and grammar quirks that they use, but are unaware of. Not an accusation mind you, just an observation for all to be aware of.

Anyhow, back to the topic. I am not enamored with all of Season 4, but then I have not been enamored with every ep in the other seasons either. There were a few eps this season that I have simply loved, The Rock, Walpurgis Night and Vlad. A few that I have hated, Mort being at the tippy top of my personal hate list. The rest have had their moments. Do I think season 4 is going to ruin anyone’s career? No, they will triumph or fail based on their future choices and performances. I think Lexx has been a good ride for all of them. Even if it is only a quirky sci-fi cable show, it is a widely distributed cable show. So the name recognition factor has got to help. Are there downsides? I am sure there are, but like most things, negatives can be turned around if you approach them correctly. I look forward to seeing all of the cast in their future projects. Oh, speaking of which, don’t forget Rolf Kanies (Priest) is going to be on Starz March 9th in Joe and Max. http://starzsuperpak.com/se/starz/title.html?version_id=4161731&episode_num=-1

Flamegrape
    Participant

What do you want bonnee? What do you want of me and the rest of the people who have crossed you?

theFrey
    Participant

ummm, Flame, we’ve move on to another topic. Please try to keep up.

Anonymous

I realise that we’ve tried to move on, but Bonnee is not going to change his ways, he’s made it quite clear what he thinks of us, and if Tony backs him then I will be saying goodbye to this board.
    I don’t have time to read his annoying and troublesome view of this board and of Lexx and frankly feel that he is just out to cause as much trouble as possible here, sending this board to the depths Lexx.com and Sci-fi have plummeted too.
    So if Tony has any sense he will ban Bonnee’s ISP for good, before we all end having a mass flaming war.
    Like Aleck, I don’t find anything he has to say constructive in any way, he contantly whines and whinges (christ even DT doesn’t think much of him), as far as I am concerned he is a pain in the side of the board.
    So I guess that if I have to suffer this fool much more, then that will be the time to find another board that doesn’t advocate his kind of behaviour, as Saddy obviously couldn’t give a rat’s arse as to what happens here.
    Squishy

Flamegrape
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by thefrey:
    ummm, Flame, we’ve move on to another topic. Please try to keep up.

Sorry about that. I didn’t see your message until after I posted mine.

Anonymous

Flame, i don’t really want anything other than what you want – which is to not falsify one another’s motives or take everything said so personally. There is nothing at stake here other than recognising one another’s self worth and otherness, and getting along accordingly. and go easier on lee – it should be apparent to you all that he really doesn’t understand why he is being played with as such, and it palpably hurts him terribly. my feeling is that you’ve all misrecognised him for your own amusement, and i would suggest that more caution is advised. if you want to pick on someone, try me instead – as long as you’re prepared to be played with a result.

Anonymous

And Bonnee, don’t you ever pour scorn on FX’s ability as a moderator, she is the fairest and most impartial person I’ve ever come across.
    But she’s wise enough to spot a troublemaker, she has always remained neutral in all topics and I don’t ever recall a time where she has to put her foot down.
    And I can tell you’re out to cause more trouble Bonnee, you are still refering to Flamegrape as flamethrower, even after he offered an olive branch, you don’t fool me, I’ve come across your type before, you are just a nasty piece of work who doesn’t belong here.
    And if you’re reading this Saddy, maybe you should consider putting your moderators first and not allow FX or any other moderators ability to come into question.
    Squishy

Flamegrape
    Participant

I’ve moved this discussion over to the Angst forum. I did this not as a moderator, but because I essentially started the mess in this thread.

theFrey
    Participant

I would like any more replies to this topic to be on topic The topic of course being Tracy’s heart break over how this season is affecting the careers of the Cast of Lexx.

Anonymous

My mistake Flamegrape, I thought you were a moderator here, which makes my last post kinda wrong. Sorry if any of the moderators here, were offended.

*dgk, who finds it easy to ‘let things go’

quote:

Originally posted by Flamegrape:
    Sorry, bonnee.
    Sorry, lily.
    Sorry, tracey.
    Sorry, dgk.
    Thanks, Praxilla.

You are right, dgk. And for the record, I’m not a moderator of the Lexx discussion forums. I don’t really have any say what goes on here.

Please just let it go, everyone.

Flamegrape
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by :

As I understand it from interviews and recent moderator trip up to Nova Scotia, all of the cast and crew of Lexx had a really good time!

theFrey
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by dgk:
    My mistake Flamegrape

Grrrrrrrr…… dgk!!!!

In an ON TOPIC note, I think that most did enjoy it, and the steady money couldn’t have been all bad. Plus don’t forget that Donovan, Gigerof, McManus, Downey and Hirschfield all knew and had worked with each other before. So that had to be kind of cool. Getting to hang with your buds and getting paid for it. Of course I am sure they all had their moments of discontent, don’t we all, but still it must have been good to work with people that you knew so well. Also in situations like this, I am sure that we will be seeing the above names in multiple combinations over the next few years on new projects.

Anonymous

Hmm…On Topic…OK.

I don’t think the 4th season is near a total loss. I just have trouble with following the story this time around. There have been some very funny moments and rarely do I laugh out loud at any tv shows, except the Simpsons. Lexx ‘always’ provides at least one LOL moment per show, even in this new season. Most shows don’t even offer that! And as for the actors, they’re good regardless of the material. I’d watch Xenia in anything. Brian surely is not complaining about his role and seems willing to take it as far as it will go. The only one I think the show may affect is Michael. He has such a ‘stigmatizing’ character that, regardless of his acting, he may get labeled as Kai forever. But that is not a function of just this season. The minor actors are no doubt happy to get a spot on Lexx. It shows they’re willing to take a chance at playing a goofy part. I think when it’s all said’n done, anyone who worked on Lexx will look back and have a good laugh and say ‘that was fun!’ I know, as a viewer, I will say that after it’s over

quote:

Grrrrrrrr…… dgk!!!!

In an ON TOPIC.

theFrey
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by dgk:
    The only one I think the show may affect is Michael. He has such a ‘stigmatizing’ character that, regardless of his acting, he may get labeled as Kai forever. But that is not a function of just this season

True, but that seems to be a danger for many actors in an easily recognizable roll. From what I have noticed over the years, the ones who were truly worried about it, went out of their way to pick roles during their breaks and hiatus periods, that broadened and redefined them as actors. In fact one of the ones that comes immediately to mind is Neil Patrick Harris, who played Doogie Howser. Not only did he have to overcome the ‘Doogie’ sigma, but there was also the child actor who did not grow up to be particularly handsome thing going on there. He seems to have really dug in and tried many different types of roles on TV, and from what I understand is in a movie under production right now. Kai might be a tough act to follow, but at least MM still has his looks going for him.

Anonymous

quote:

True, but that seems to be a danger for many actors in an easily recognizable roll. From what I have noticed over the years, the ones who were truly worried about it, went out of their way to pick roles during their breaks and hiatus periods, that broadened and redefined them as actors. In fact one of the ones that comes immediately to mind is Neil Patrick Harris, who played Doogie Howser. Not only did he have to overcome the ‘Doogie’ sigma, but there was also the child actor who did not grow up to be particularly handsome thing going on there. He seems to have really dug in and tried many different types of roles on TV, and from what I understand is in a movie under production right now. Kai might be a tough act to follow, but at least MM still has his looks going for him.

I heard a quote from a good looking actor once (can’t remember who it was): My looks open the door and get me in the room, but my intelligence keeps me there.

I would hope that there is more than just looks for the actors to fall back on, like experience and talent.

All that’s going through my head now is bad cliche quotes, so I’ll say no more about it.

theFrey
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Praxilla:
    …I would hope that there is more than just looks for the actors to fall back on, like experience and talent.

I would think there would have to be Prax, but I don’t think anyone would argue that the looks help. It is a shame that alot of actresses, no matter how good they are, have a tough time getting decent roles after they acheive a certain look. The b*tch there is many times not only are they still attractive and talented, but they are still passed over. Male actors on the other hand do not seem to suffer as badly as they age. And it is easier to get a decent role if you are a ‘talented’ good looking guy. Mr. Bennet seems to be doing quite well. So having your looks going for you would be a help in getting parts to move you out of the shadow of a ‘typecasted’ role.

Flamegrape
    Participant

I want to buy everything that Xenia Seeburg has ever done on DVD! Her movies, TV episodes, and music videos! Wah!

Anonymous

No offense to anyone who posted but…

IF YOU DO NOT LIKE A POST AND ARE OFFENDED BY IT IN ANY WAY, DO NOT REPLY. SO PEOPLE HATE S4. BIG FREAKIN’ DEAL!!!!! JUST DO NOT LISTEN TO THEM. IT SEEMS TO ME THAT PERSONS SAYING UNKIND THINGS ABOUT LEXX WANT TO START SOMETHING WITH THE REST OF US. MAYBE I AM PARANOID. BUT STOP IT. IF YOU HATE SERIES/SEASON 4 SAY SO. BUT WE DO NOT NEED THE BASHING. I, TO BE PERSONAL, FO NOT BASH ANYTHING BUT BASHING ITSELF. NO ONE FALL FOR THE BAIT! COME ON, I’VE SEEN THIS DEBATED OVER AND OVER AGAIN. DON’T WATCH IT IF YOU DON’T LIKE IT. BUT I WILL SAY THIS: IT IS LAUGHINGLY INSANE FOR ANYONE TO THINK THAT THE CAST AND CREW OF LEXX IS UNHAPPY WITH THEIR WORK. IT IS PATHETIC TO FEEL SORRY FOR THEM. GET A FRICKIN’ LIFE!!!

Flamegrape
    Participant

Owie!

theFrey
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by :
    No offense to anyone who posted but…
    IF YOU DO NOT LIKE…..

Really Fred, Caps? I had always thought you got your point across pretty well in the conventional manner. Sigh.

However, to address the On Topic portion of your little lapse, it is possible that stars could worry about a season taking them down with it. Why do you think so many bail when a show takes a southward turn? Do I think the Lexx crew think this? No, not really. For one thing for most of them it has been a good ride. We have heard that Mr. Downey would be glad to continue in some form or another. And while Mr. McManus has expressed reservations that Sci-fi in general, not Lexx in particular is not helpful to a persons career, I doubt if he would be much affected in the long run. For one thing, most of the stuff I have read about him, seems to indicate that he prefers live theater. And for another, it seems that Canadian actors seem to have quite a ‘network of friends’ thing going on for them. And when some of your friends are fairly important producers and writers, that has to help you when it comes to finding something else you want to do.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.