I watched a tape of `I Worship His Shadow’

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums Cult Sci Fi Series Lexx I watched a tape of `I Worship His Shadow’

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Jhevz
    Participant

Hi Fellow Lexxians,
    Last night, I watched the 1st movie that started the show off; my boyfriend in Southern CA made a tape of the 4 movies for me, so I could watch it. I hope that everyone like me who started watching the show in the middle of the series, will get a chance to watch the 4 movies.
    I watched the 1st show that started the show off, `I Worship His Shadow’; I now know how Kai died, Stan did what he did & how he started off & what Zev really looked like before her `Love Slave’ transformation. I also found out who the other Lexx companion was before Kai came on board; her name is Giggerota & she’s a cannibal. Zev’s future husband was a baby; I don’t think he was even a teenager; I’d say, he looked like about 10-12 yrs old. Before Stan had the key to the Lexx, he was a pain-in-the-rear & very nasty at times; wow, I never thought he’d be that bad before he owned the key to the Lexx. I really liked Kai’s poem when he 1st came on board the Lexx; I’m very glad he got his memories back from the brain of His Divine Predessor, then destroyed him; I can now understand why Kai had motovation at times & how he was able to save his new friends from harm. But before that, I felt sorry for him; he couldn’t remember who he was or where he came from. Yeah for Stan, Zev, Giggarotta & Kai, Stan destroyed the planet, Kai destroyed his killer, & both Giggeratta & Zev killed the rest.
    This is definitely my favorite movie, so far; I liked it & learned a lot about our 4 characters & really found out who they were before they came on the Lexx. When I can, I’ll watch the other 3 movies & tell you about each of them too; I’ll even let you know whether or not I like the other 3 as much as I like this 1, `I Worship His Shadow’.
    Take care & have a nice April.

Lexxians Unite,
    Jhevz ๐Ÿ˜‰

Anonymous

Cool ๐Ÿ™‚

I’m glad you liked it. It’s my fave movie so far too. I did a review of the show HERE and the others too in the Reviews Section.

It’d be cool if you could maybe spare a couple of minutes put a comment after the reviews. (You can click on the Post Comment link at the bottom of each review).

Or, you could write your own review of the show in the Guides section. Anyone can write a review about any sci fi show! Reading other peoples thoughts about a show (however brief) is always cool!

Anyway, nice to here your thoughts, I remember thinking how that first film blew me away and the rest are pretty good too.

Anonymous

Glad you’re getting around to them! =) Supernova is by far my favorite, you’ll love it. IWHS is fantastic as well, and as you noticed our crew is a bit different. Zev and Xev are a world apart in many ways, it’s tough to decide which I liked best. And there’s a huge evolution to Kai’s personality over the 4 movies, but I wont spoil the surprises :p

Be sure to come post about the next movies too, it’s rare we get a fresh impression of the first series =)

lizard
    Participant

It’s tough to choose a favorite! Gigashadow is really good too. Malcom McDowl (sp?) is great, the plot is exciting and Kai gets a little pet lizard! I recently viewed the uncut version because I finally got the DVD and it is worth it. For example, I don’t remember ever seeing Stanley in the shower on TV!

Anonymous
    Inactive
    lizard wrote:

It’s tough to choose a favorite! Gigashadow is really good too. Malcom McDowl (sp?) is great, the plot is exciting and Kai gets a little pet lizard! I recently viewed the uncut version because I finally got the DVD and it is worth it. For example, I don’t remember ever seeing Stanley in the shower on TV!

IWHS is my favourite LEXX episode. I’d been watching LEXX on and off for a few years, but IWHS blew me away, and made me a real fan of the show. Eating Pattern is another real fave of mine, especially the first half — some great, and very black, comedy.

Speaking of Malcolm McDowell, I’m a fan of his, and he was in a few of my favourite films; Clockwork Orange, a great film, though I find parts of it too disturbing to easily watch now (I just fast forward through the worst of the ultra-violence), the remake of Cat People (1982), If…, and O Lucky Man. I would very, very highly recommend O Lucky Man (1973) — one of my absolute favourite films of all, and it has cult classic written all over it.
    Malcolm McDowell fans beware: Caligula is for hardcore fans only! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Each movie has an interesting supporting actor which has appeared in at least one MAJOR cult classic. — something which I suspect was done deliberately to give the LEXX films an automatic cult cache — to help LEXX achieve cult status): Barry Bostwick, who plays Thodin in IWHS, played Brad in The Rocky Horror Picture Show. PoetMan Time Curry played the sweet transvestite, Frank N. Furter, in The Rocky Horror Picture Show. King Bog, aka Rutger Hauer, played the main replicant in Blade Runner, and Malcolm McDowell (Yottskry) played my main droog, Alex, in Clockwork Orange.

Here is a pic I made of Kai N. Furter or as I like to call it, Funk N. Furter. And the other one is an altered pic that Gibble (Bruce Fillmore) took off MM, which I thought looked so much like the sweet transvestite that I did this terrible composite with his fine pic:

Anonymous

Speaking of Malcolm McDowell, I’m a fan of his, and he was in a few of my favourite films; Clockwork Orange, a great film, though I find parts of it too disturbing to easily watch now (I just fast forward through the worst of the ultra-violence),

Ever read the book by Anthony Burgess? It’s a world of difference between the movie, which was far too gratitious. The book in my opinion may be one of the finest pieces of philosophy of the 20th century.

But I too am I fan of MM, Caligula was a bit much but what do you expect from Penthouse Films hehe. Another great MM movie is Jezebels Kiss, a cult favorite, again semi-erotic. Time after Time was good as well, and my all time favorite ROYAL FLASH!!!

For those that are buffs of history and comedy, check out the series =) Called “Flashman” by George Macdonald Frasier I believe.

Anonymous

IWHS is definitely my all time fav. I found myself thinking of that film while listening to Xenia’s comments (the Flamegrape interview)
    about obtaining the rights to Lexx to make a feature film. She made reference to reaching a larger audience…I always thought IWHS had that “commercial potential”. I still think the basic elements of Lexx lend themselves towards that potential, but to mainstream it, many of the qualities that have endeared it to most of the original hard-core fans would be lost. ๐Ÿ˜ฅ I guess what I’m saying is with a bigger budget and different target market in mind, another Lexx movie could be highly successful and appeal to the masses…much to the disgust of many, I’m sure. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Anonymous
    Inactive
    ”LexxLurker” wrote:

Ever read the book by Anthony Burgess? It’s a world of difference between the movie, which was far too gratitious. The book in my opinion may be one of the finest pieces of philosophy of the 20th century.

But I too am I fan of MM, Caligula was a bit much but what do you expect from Penthouse Films hehe. Another great MM movie is Jezebels Kiss, a cult favorite, again semi-erotic. Time after Time was good as well, and my all time favorite ROYAL FLASH!!!

I read the book as a kid, the language takes a little getting used to, and I agree with you. (And Kubrick’s C.O. philosophical emphasis was quite different from Burgess — for Kubrick, his, C.O. was about free will). I should read it now as an adult, I’m sure that I would get more from it — do you know the story of the sad circumstances behind the book? That’s one reason why Burgess was so appalled with the excessive violence in Kubrick’s version. I do think it’s a great film though, but I do wish the explicit violence had been toned down — it’s a film that I wish everybody could see for the great elements of it, but I wouldn’t wish anyone to have to endure some of its worst scenes.

It was banned in several countries for many years — partially due to Alex copycats. Kubrick reportedly even requested that it be banned in England — it was. Actually, while I do believe that the explicit violence in the film is indeed on the excessive side, I’m not really sure if it’s particularly gratuitous — it may well be, but here’s a thought: Violence is disturbing (and disgusting), that sentiment is directly expressed in the film (at the Ludovico Treatment Centre), and the film shows the violence in all its disturbing and disgusting anti-glory (but at the same time, some people revelled in it and thought it was gloriously cool). Kubrick himself apparently often tried to be ‘cool’ in his choice of images too. I’ve always felt that it is dangerous not to show violence in a disturbing manner, and to glorify it — violence is hell and should be viewed with revulsion. However, there is no question in my mind that the film is quite exploitative — and that violence was exploited in the aid of entertainment, and like I said, some disturbed individuals were invigorated by the disgusting on-screen violence in the film. He could have been more subtle. Violence can be portrayed in a disturbing way without necessarily explicitly showing it. And if he had been more subtle, then I wouldn’t have to feel a little dirty and guilty each time I watch it. Anyway, I seem to have contradicted myself enough for one day with this post lol ๐Ÿ™„

BTW, I’ve never seen Royal Flash, must look for it. Thanks.

Now back to LEXX … Jhevz, you really are lucky to be seeing the movies for the first time, it should give you a thoroughly renewed appreciation of LEXX. Enjoy! ๐Ÿ˜€

Jhevz
    Participant

Thanks all,
    I appreciate & am thankful of all your comments & I’ll enjoy the rest of the Lexx movies as soon as I get a chance to watch them. Thanks Sadgeezer for the web forum, it’s just like what I watched a few days ago.
    I already have a knew appreciation of Kai, 790, Zev & Stan; I even have a new appreciation for Giggerota, believe it or not.
    I’ll definitely keep you all informed & post about the other 3 as soon as I get a chance to watch them.
    Thanks again for all your comments, take care & have a nice Spring.

Lexxians Unite,
    Jhevz ๐Ÿ˜‰

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.