i’m really grieving!

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums Cult Sci Fi Series Lexx i’m really grieving!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    SadGeezer
    Keymaster

i have shocked myself. i am truly, strongly, wholy, in grief. i watched lexx because it was silly, funny, clever and smart and far more “realistic” than star trek. i didn’t realize i got involved. its been three days since the last episode and i can’t dry my eyes. i not only feel like my mother died, i don’t ever want to be this attached to a character i liked so much again. MM, you got me.

Flamegrape
    Participant

Wow!

Take heart, dear fan. Kai died a glorious death. It’s what he wanted for 6000 years and was always denied to him.

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by Flamegrape:
    Take heart, dear fan. Kai died a glorious death. It’s what he wanted for 6000 years and was always denied to him.

Yes, and that makes it all the more powerfully affecting. I finally got up the courage to watch it for the 2nd time just now. Oh how i sobbed. I couldn’t really take it all in the first time, all the details and nuance. I feel wrung out.

Goodbye last of the Brunnen-G.

Damn, I even cried over the big bug! Bye Lexx.

What a wild ride its been. LEXX wormed its way into my brain the first time I watched an episode. Will the worm turn and eat my brain now that there is no more?

I need a drink and a hug.

Anonymous

tears his way out of plastic bubble

WHOA!! That’s the jist of the vast quantities of messages pouring into the Lexx section of this site and I concur. I felt strangely detached after watching the last episode (partialy because it was the Sunday night repeat. Or should that be Monday morning…) I also felt that a long established constant had been broken. I thought it was strange when 790 fell for Kai!

Oh, the bubble is a metaphorical one. I have just returned to this site (I had to after that episode) after several months away from it. Part of the reason I stopped visiting the message board for a while was because it was at the time that season 4 was being shown in America but not here (UK). I had to avoid the spoilers! So I waited, Lexx came and the end of the series reminded me of this site. So I have returned.
    Of course, no-one will remember me. I see few people I recognise and I wasn’t a long time poster. But it will be good to get into discussions again.
    SadGeezer, the site’s looking good. Like the changes.
    Ptarg.

BowCatz
    Participant

Tell me about it. Saturday all day and night, I had a tight throat. Man, I was hurting. Sunday, it didn’t get much better. Then, Monday was so stressful at work that I just let go. Yeah, I cried. I know it is a tv show, but I cried like somebody just shot Bowhunter, my best cat.

I, too, never ever want to get this attached to a tv character again. Blast you, SciFi channel. You have broken my heart. Paul Donavan (sp?) might want to stay in hiding for a while till this blows over.

(sighs)

Why did they have to kill him off? WHY? WHY? WHY? It is just not right.

(sighs)

When Kai looked at the blood on his knuckles, it just broke my heart. There he was doing the right thing again and paying the ultimate sacrifice again. He was human again. Maybe he didn’t love Zev, but maybe he could have in time. It was obvious he cared about her.

I had no idea that I was such a romantic. It’s always been hunting and fishing and life on my motorcycle or camping with the Jeep on a sandbar–never mushy stuff like love stories– then a tv show from Canada breaks my heart.

Yeah, Paul. Stay low for a while. grrrrr

I gotta go. This is too upsetting.

[ 01-05-2002: Message edited by: BowCatz ]

Anonymous

Me too. I can’t believe believe my own reaction– it still bothers me to the point where I don’t want to watch any of the tapes or DVDs for a while. I’m normally extremely resistant to the emotional manipulation that TV shows indulge in when a character dies. This wasn’t like that at all. It was downright understated and totally heartbreaking. Jeez. I’m gonna go get a drink.

elmey

Flamegrape
    Participant

I think I’ve been dealing with it by creating fan artwork. If I weren’t doing that, I think I would be a bit more depressed. But I’m INSPIRED! The ending left so many possibilities open! Later, I want to start writing a fan fic that continues where the last episode leaves off.

Anyway, take a look at the Xev 3d videogame model I’ve been working on in the SciFi fan artowrk forum here on SadBoard.

BowCatz
    Participant

Okay, so maybe Michael McManus is tired of playing Kai. Okay, I can deal with that. But they didn’t have to kill off Kai, DID THEY?!?!?!?!

It just occured to me that Prince has the ability to appear and disappear at will. Maybe, maybe, maybe he saved Kai and we just don’t know it, yet. Yeah, I know Kai said that Prince appeared to him because he was to die soon, but Prince has appeared to a lot of people that didn’t die soon. Maybe I am just grasping at straws here.

If anyone enjoys messing with someone’s mind, it is Prince. He comes across as loving dark humor. There I go again. Sorry. (Puts her straws down.)

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by BowCatz:
    Okay, so maybe Michael McManus is tired of playing Kai. Okay, I can deal with that. But they didn’t have to kill off Kai, DID THEY?!?!?!?!

Well, yeah. They did. He argued that his character be killed off, and it makes perfect sense. Kai has been longing to become completely dead all along. For him to either become fully alive or to remain in his “alive-dead” state would have robbed his character of any sense of closure or balance, and would have cheated him out of the one thing he’d wanted. If one is watching the show simply for Kai (which, IMHO, means that one is missing out on at least 2/3 of what makes it a great show to begin with), then one might wish for Kai to become fully human and fall in love with Xev and fly away to some romantic destination where they could fall in love, but that would be pandering. That would be going for the quick and easy cotton-candy way of dealing with the character so that the droolers could live vicariously through Xev. For Kai’s character and his story to make any sense, his death must be fulfilled. He first died trying — and failing — to save humanity. To complete the arc, he had to die trying and succeeding.

–Aleck

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by Aleck:

Well, yeah. They did. He argued that his character be killed off, and it makes perfect sense. Kai has been longing to become completely dead all along. For him to either become fully alive or to remain in his “alive-dead” state would have robbed his character of any sense of closure or balance, and would have cheated him out of the one thing he’d wanted. If one is watching the show simply for Kai (which, IMHO, means that one is missing out on at least 2/3 of what makes it a great show to begin with), then one might wish for Kai to become fully human and fall in love with Xev and fly away to some romantic destination where they could fall in love, but that would be pandering. That would be going for the quick and easy cotton-candy way of dealing with the character so that the droolers could live vicariously through Xev. For Kai’s character and his story to make any sense, his death must be fulfilled. He first died trying — and failing — to save humanity. To complete the arc, he had to die trying and succeeding.

–Aleck

I agree with Aleck, Kai HAD to die. He’s the classical Tragic Hero. His being turned into an undead assassin was the punishment for his fall from grace. After regaining his memory and self-awareness, his protecing Stan and Zev/Xev while they tried to find a new home was his penance. His sacrificing himself for all the right reasons was his final redemption.

As much as I loved the Kai character, I would have felt cheated if the Beans brought him back to life so he could live happily ever after with Xev. I thank Mr. McManus for sticking to his view of the character.

As much as I drool over Kai, I still wanted him to remain unattainable and find a lasting peace in death.

Besides, that’s what I made Kai clones for.

MM

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.