Incredible (s)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    theFrey
    Participant

Incredible (s)

Whoooooie! Yes, a movie that I can love. Okay, so it is a cartoon, but hey, it has been a long time since POTC and Two Weeks Notice, I need something fun to go see.

What is not to love about this movie? We have great animation, satire, spoofing and amazingly enough a story line. TheSpouse did not go and see this with me, butโ€ฆ if he had I think that even Mr. Cranky Spouse would have liked it.

Spoilers….

Two of the things I liked the most was the great James Bond spoofing and the way they use Edith Head the designer. Both priceless, but the later was hysterical.

Holly Hunter totally nailed Elastic Girl. And the animation of Dash was simply precious. ๐Ÿ˜€ Oh, and the Fandom spoofing was also pretty hysterical.

Two thumbs WAY UP for the Incredibles. ๐Ÿ˜€

Anonymous

Excellent! I’ve been looking forward to seeing Incredibles for ages. If other SadPeeps like it then it must be cool!

Cant wait!

lexxrobotech
    Participant

Yeah, Ive been seeing trailers for this movie for ages. I think I’ve even got a few on some of my DVD’s I’ve had for a while.

Im sure it’ll be good.

Sidhecafe
    Participant

yeah for Pixar in general!!!!

Andrew Stanton(don’t think he wrote Incredibles though) is a great writer with an amazing imagination. I’ve met him once briefly, he grew up with some friends of mine, a very nice guy too.

Finding Nemo was fantastic, and I loved Monsters, Inc. too. Of course Toy Story.

And the technology is just so fantastic…Yah-Hoo!!!

theFrey
    Participant

A really great review of the movie from an imdb fan. It claims to be spoilerish…. and it may be if you are real pick about them… otherwise it is fine.

Date: 7 November 2004
    Summary: Pixar is Invincible

Spoilers herein.

All movies are about other movies. Most simply quote them, and most of these are bad. Some are very clever quoters, like Tarantino. But still mere quoters. A few weeks ago, I saw ‘Van Helsing’ which impressed the daylights out of me. It was all about transmutation at many levels including transmuting itself through several other movie identities.

Meanwhile, I’ve been impressed by Pixar for other reasons. They’ve always been the leaders in folding and introspective dimensionality. Their logo even shows it: an illuminator jumps on the ‘i’, replaces it, looks around and then looks directly at you.

In this film, their introspective experiments extend to quoting other films. But instead of the simple shopkeeping of Tarantino, we have appearances of other films but instead of being quoted they are re-imagined. Each transmutation is better than the original: This is better Bond than Bond, better Spy Kids than Spy Kids, better family drama than any recent experience. Better through-the-trees chase than Star Wars. Much, much better than ‘Spiderman’ and its ilk because it really understands pacing and manages ever-more unseen camera swoops.

And it does everything it does with familiar images. For instance, the scene where Bob smacks his boss through several walls and he ends up wrapped in bandages and in traction is a collection of classic images from old cartoons, starting with the big guy grabbing the little guy. Except you don’t notice that the big guy is the good guy. Never happens in the classics.

There are two interesting folds here: the one that folds many movies genres as we mentioned and the one that conflates the folds of reality. Here’s how this works: Usually there are two layers of a folded movie: the movie and some more abstract story within the movie. Spoofs depend on you knowing the layers, even if a layer isn’t shown. So ‘Austin Powers’ has the intermediate level of Bond, even though it doesn’t have an explicit segment that exists in the world of Bond.

Ted’s law says the folding distance must be equal, so the abstraction between the real world and that of Bond is exactly the same as that between Powers and Bond, extra cartoonishness if you wish.

This Pixar project has two levels squashed into the same world. One level is the very realistically abstracted story between Bob and Helen. This isn’t very cartoonish at all compared the regular world of cartoons. Then you have the superhero world which Bob and later Helen dive into; this is the most extremely abstract world of cartoons. Three levels, us, Bob and Helen as people (and they seem more real in this mode than most ‘real’ characters) and Bob and Helen and kids as superheros.

The novelty of the fold is that these are squashed together as if there is no distance. That (plus some very human-like camera angles and the ‘interview’ footage at the beginning) squashes the world of the viewer into what we see. Its the kind of brilliant novelty that can only be done by close students of the art.

A side comment that follows: the standard Disney cartoon has to have an obvious moral. Parents enthusiastically use this as a sad excuse for parenting. This film puts the moral in the spoof level. That means, folks, that it is equating it to the mediocre fictions Bob berates at the beginning. To distract the dopes in the audience, they do damage control by splicing an ‘ordinary’ moralistic dippy thing at the beginning.

The real moral is that most movie houses have ‘insurance:’ they test their films into mediocrity. Pixar does no testing. They figure it out and trust their geniuses. Along the way, they take two heavy hits in the story at insurance companies who literally put superstars out of business, and incidentally steal from the worthy.

Ted’s Evaluation — 3 of 3: Worth watching.

streudel
    Participant

I saw The Incredibles with the Little One on Wednesday, and I have to say I’m glad she didn’t want to wait for it to come out on DVD. It’s definitely one of those movies that’s worth the overpriced popcorn in order to have the big screen experience. It’s not just CGI candy; there is a strong story to keep you engaged after the ‘whoa!’ response to the visuals wears off.

theFrey
    Participant

I took theFather and theFatherGF to go see it this afternoon. It was still totally riviting. I was not the least bit bored even though I knew what was going to happen.

I think the way they showed how dispairing Bob was after thinking his family was gone was very well done. You really cared about his loss, the muffled sob as they left the room showing the abject loss he had just suffered, was most likely missed by the kids in the audience, but added a note of realism to the whole scene.

Oh… and the cape thingy? As soon as I saw Syndrome’s costume, I knew it was going to cause him trouble. ๐Ÿ˜›

My favorite part was still the Edith Head spoofing…. they totally nailed that!

nursewhen
    Participant

I saw it last week. Loved every minute. Us grown ups were killing ourselves and spilling popcorn over the litle uns in the audience all the way through. A sign of a good kids movie is that it works on an adult level.

Am I just odd or was Mr Incredible really hunky?

This is from somebody who’s only just got over Scott Tracey. ๐Ÿ˜ณ

theFrey
    Participant

Hunky? Thinning hair and all? ๐Ÿ˜† He was a bit. But I thought Dash was just precious. I loved the expressions on his face and how he screwed it all up when he was pouting or moping. ๐Ÿ˜€ They did an excellent job of making the eyes look alive in this movie.

Oh and ‘Buddy’ had the perfect ‘do for an over the top fan-boy geekster didn’t you think?

mysteriesofthesea
    Participant

“Buddy Sue?”

To go with the real live fan girl…”Mary Sues?” ๐Ÿ˜ˆ

Buddy, who puts himself and Incredible-Man in danger a hundred times to satisfy his need to actually become–“the hero”–even at the expense of the true hero–Incredible-Man, but never goes onto become whoever the real “Buddy,” himself,..could have been.

It is sad.

“Buddy” had brains, which he could have used to makle a REAL hero of himself with his inventions…instead of trying to become a clone of the less intelligent..”I-Man”..(Mr. InCredible) He ends up trying to destroy his “hero’ instead of living up to that “hero’s” principles!!

I saw the part of the Incredibles Movie..where the baby is snatched by “Buddy-Sue-fan-boy!” ๐Ÿ˜ฏ
    Luckily,..the Incredible Baby had powers of his own!! ๐Ÿ˜› ๐Ÿ˜€

After such an experience, I would think that the family in the movie would have been very hard put to have to enjoyed being around the rest of the human race and not fade into a blessed “obscurity!”

In the movie,..I am glad the InCredibles decided to work together as a family in such a way that they were able to be the “incredible” people that they were..and have a normal life!! Whatever a normal life is “suppozed”..to be!!” โ“ โ“ โ“ โ—

…….Stanelle

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.